login

Author Topic: What I'd like is...  (Read 20568 times)

Offline Cecile

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 15
    • View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
What I'd like is...
« Reply #60 on: September 03, 2006, 02:15:49 PM »
I`m an ecstatic wanderer to Plakias for the past 18 or so years, and loved the Meltemi.  However, it sounds like the Finikas is now THE PLACE TO GO.  Was in Plakias in June, but did not see it!   Rather like a fellow contributor to this site who did not see the fountain, I`m putting the cause down to not only raki but wonderful home-made feta in Myrthios!!   Will be wandering to Plakias Youth Hostel in a few weeks`time so please tell me where I can find Finikas!

Offline Alex_Kidd

  • Regulars
  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Posts: 69
    • View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
What I'd like is...
« Reply #61 on: September 03, 2006, 06:33:09 PM »
Quote from: Cecile
I`m an ecstatic wanderer to Plakias for the past 18 or so years, and loved the Meltemi.  However, it sounds like the Finikas is now THE PLACE TO GO.
I think now the Finikas is the ONLY PLACE TO GO, since the Metelmi is closed  

Quote from: Cecile
I`m putting the cause down to not only raki but wonderful home-made feta in Myrthios!!
Yuuuummm...!    sounds very good!

Offline sheryl

  • Regulars
  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 110
    • AOL Instant Messenger - sherylhume1
    • View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
What I'd like is...
« Reply #62 on: September 03, 2006, 10:47:45 PM »
[attachment=407:attachment]
yeh i'm the clown who didn't see the fountain - but after this years visit i realise i had seen it but not properly finished.
finikas is the old hexagon if that helps - if not go behind the platia and you'll find it there
« Last Edit: September 03, 2006, 11:28:08 PM by sherylhume1 »
sheryl

Offline Barny

  • Regulars
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 862
  • Have I seen you in Kyma?
    • View Profile
    • Email
What I'd like is...
« Reply #63 on: September 08, 2006, 01:45:51 PM »
Going back to what John said about Greek pop music, I have a few cd's that Pavlos gave me in August but would like to get some more "chart"  hits.
Any idea where i would start to look?
Just sitting here at work playing some now and wish i was there!
 
                                                           Barny.
Fancy a Mythos?

Offline George

  • Regulars
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1375
    • View Profile
    • Email
What I'd like is...
« Reply #64 on: September 11, 2006, 09:53:10 AM »
Quote from: Barny
Going back to what John said about Greek pop music, I have a few cd's that Pavlos gave me in August but would like to get some more "chart"  hits.
Any idea where i would start to look?
Just sitting here at work playing some now and wish i was there!
 
                                                           Barny.
Hi Barny
If you go to Rethymnon, go to the car park at the entrance to the old town and facing the archway take a left, there's a good record shop just down on the left hand side.
I recommend 'Orama' by Vasili Salaes amongst others that he's done, not exactly chart stuff but it's puts me in the mood. It was done with Vangelis.
The women who works in there will be very impressed with you when you ask for it.  

george g...

Sorry Barny, just read this back and you've already been, perhaps next year. You can't get this in the UK!
« Last Edit: September 11, 2006, 10:13:18 AM by George »

Offline Ploppy

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 721
    • View Profile
    • Hounslow Weather
    • Email
What I'd like is...
« Reply #65 on: September 11, 2006, 10:18:44 AM »
Quote from: George
Hi Barny
If you go to Rethymnon, go to the car park at the entrance to the old town and facing the archway take a left, there's a good record shop just down on the left hand side.
I recommend 'Orama' by Vasili Salaes amongst others that he's done, not exactly chart stuff but it's puts me in the mood. It was done with Vangelis.
The women who works in there will be very impressed with you when you ask for it.  

george g...

Sorry Barny, just read this back and you've already been, perhaps next year. You can't get this in the UK!


Being a sad internet shopping and Google freak...
You can buy and download it here.

Or you can get the CD from here, shipping is a bit pricey though from Canada.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2006, 10:22:31 AM by Ploppy »

Offline Barny

  • Regulars
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 862
  • Have I seen you in Kyma?
    • View Profile
    • Email
What I'd like is...
« Reply #66 on: September 11, 2006, 11:41:03 AM »
Thanks for the info!
I have now ordered this disk and look forward to playing it !
Fancy a Mythos?

Offline shinaria

  • Regulars
  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 289
    • AOL Instant Messenger - shinaria@aol.com
    • View Profile
    • http://www.reuters-design.de
    • Email
What I'd like is...
« Reply #67 on: September 11, 2006, 01:06:34 PM »
If you like greek music a little bit off the traditional "tourist sounds" you should have an ear on the great work of "pyx lax" [or: pix lax] one of the most famous modern greek groups and George Dalaras. Together they perform on the live album "Iera Odo".

shinaria

Offline Barny

  • Regulars
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 862
  • Have I seen you in Kyma?
    • View Profile
    • Email
What I'd like is...
« Reply #68 on: September 12, 2006, 09:47:35 AM »
Quote from: shinaria
If you like greek music a little bit off the traditional "tourist sounds" you should have an ear on the great work of "pyx lax" [or: pix lax] one of the most famous modern greek groups and George Dalaras. Together they perform on the live album "Iera Odo".

shinaria


Sounds good!  I have just ordered that one too!
There is a Iera odo  part two as well but i will see what this one is like first.
I bet i have the only medical room playing greek music?  !!

                                    Barny.
Fancy a Mythos?

Offline Barny

  • Regulars
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 862
  • Have I seen you in Kyma?
    • View Profile
    • Email
What I'd like is...
« Reply #69 on: September 26, 2006, 09:49:19 AM »
Well the ORAMA disc is playing now and its not too bad!!
Fancy a Mythos?

Offline George

  • Regulars
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1375
    • View Profile
    • Email
What I'd like is...
« Reply #70 on: September 27, 2006, 09:51:41 AM »
Quote from: Barny
Well the ORAMA disc is playing now and its not too bad!!
Hope you like it Barny, I've got three or four others by Salaeus all very similar, if you want them and can't find them on the Net, I'll let you know what they are

george g...

Offline ostraco

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 514
    • MSN Messenger - bbaazz@hotmail.com
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - FinikasUK
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to Plakias
    • Email
What I'd like is...
« Reply #71 on: October 01, 2006, 01:25:09 PM »
After his success with Eurovision, Sakis Roubas is worth a listen to - and Anna Vissi has become a favourite with me too.

I was in HMV in Oxford Street a few weeks ago - they have quite a large selection of Greek music - and are usually happy to let you listen to a few tracks before buying (although I do find some of their imports a little expensive)

Also - we did check out Finikas on a saturday night. It was worth the visit! Interesting to see a very local scene, with a good proportion of Greek music being played. There must have been a waiter from every taverna in town there! The music was very loud though - there was no chance to chat. With Meltemi, you could pop outside to give your ears a rest and have a quiet drink and chat, but that's not possible at Finikas.

We walked past what's left of Meltemi several times on the way to Manolis' beach bar. We had several great (and very late) nights there. Manolis is using that building across the road for toilet and storage facilities - one wonders - could this be the next Meltemi? We decided it would be perfect!
« Last Edit: October 01, 2006, 02:05:59 PM by ostraco »
John - Ostraco

Offline Barny

  • Regulars
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 862
  • Have I seen you in Kyma?
    • View Profile
    • Email
What I'd like is...
« Reply #72 on: October 11, 2006, 12:22:10 PM »
What i'd like is to find somewhere in england where i can get hold of some raki!
We ran out last night and Ruth needs her evening "nightcap".
Any ideas anyone, or do i have to go back to Crete?  
I found a shop selling Mythos !

                                                  Barny.
Fancy a Mythos?

Offline George

  • Regulars
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1375
    • View Profile
    • Email
What I'd like is...
« Reply #73 on: October 11, 2006, 01:20:55 PM »
Try this Barny it looks a bit pricey compared with what were used to though:
http://www.thedrinkshop.com/products/nlpde...;OVMTC=standard

george g...

Offline harribobs

  • Regulars
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1830
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - harribobs
    • View Profile
    • http://themanchesters.org
    • Email
What I'd like is...
« Reply #74 on: October 12, 2006, 02:05:11 PM »
george

that's turkish raki, rather than cretan

it's really just like ouzo, it tastes of aniseed and clouds up when mixed with water

i imagine the cretans use the same word as crete was once part of the ottoman empire