Author Topic: where to stay  (Read 8839 times)

Offline marmaliser

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
where to stay
« on: June 27, 2005, 03:31:17 PM »
Hi ,just got back from a fabulous 2 weeks and am going through the site and the topics just sharing my experiences!....Anyone booked for Doras Apts be aware it is very basic.....very clean, but  just about comes up to the brochures description!.....for example, only a few rooms have a window or extractor in the bathroom(youcan guess the consequences of that in a hot climate!!!)......the crockery and cutlery are hopeless ( airline plastic cutlery,odd plates,one saucepan etc. atc.) so if you have a young family and were hoping to eat in sometimes be prepared, after all it is described as Self-Catering!......the blanket was fine(great for winter!) but the top-sheet was not big enough for the bed......hot water only in the evnings......no where to hang shower head(although I did improvise with a wire coat hanger)....I,m not really complaining because I can hear you all saying "well this is Greece, what do you expect?", but after all this is 2005 !!!!....... just how far do standards have to fall before they get unacceptable?

Offline George

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
where to stay
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2005, 04:14:53 PM »
Thanks Marmaliser, that's just what I wanted to know. I'll be there first two weeks in september and appreciate the honesty. All I need is a kettle, a cup and a fridge, if they are ok I will survive.
I've been going to Greece for over 20 years and haven't found a bathroom yet with somewhere to hang the shower head!!
The Olympic site is not showing Dora next year, so perhaps the standard is as you say. All they are advertising at the moment are the Alianthos', so I might be staying in a hotel for the first time for years.
Thanks again
george g...

Offline John R

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fluteweb.net
    • Email
where to stay
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2005, 09:13:00 PM »
I've been going to Greece for over 20 years and haven't found a bathroom yet with somewhere to hang the shower head!!

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=3640\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You perhaps need to try Stella Pension. Not self catering - you need to take kettle, mugs etc but you DO get breakfast. Exceptionally Clean, very quiet, sheets large enough and frequently changed and blankets when cool, air conditioning (extra), fridge. wall safe (free) Shower heads secure (usually).  You now have to go independantly to go there - like us in September - but after hearing about the transfers and the Dora report I'm now pleased we are being faithful to Stella after 7 very good years there. Or perhaps with Kosmar the Appolo apartments or Lamon Hotel will be satisfactory (I think they will), though they seem to be filling up quick.

John R
« Last Edit: June 27, 2005, 09:29:14 PM by John R »

Offline George

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
where to stay
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2005, 08:34:45 AM »
Quote from: John R,Jun 27 2005, 08:13 PM
Quote from: George,Jun 27 2005, 04:14 PM

Or perhaps with Kosmar the Appolo apartments or Lamon Hotel will be satisfactory (I think they will), though they seem to be filling up quick.

Thanks John
The thought has crossed my mind to travel independantly, but as I can't travel with my partner I have to travel alone so like the back up of a tour company, and Kosmar in their infinate wisdom will not accept singles even with a supl.
Stella sounds like a nice place similar to the Irida that FC dropped this year.
But I will be back whatever!!
george g...

Offline harribobs

• Regulars
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - harribobs
    • View Profile
    • http://themanchesters.org
    • Email
where to stay
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2005, 08:50:33 AM »
you really can't let the apartment owners get away with not providing the basics, even at the Kostas Chrysoula this year when we arrived  we were missing plates, bowls kettle and a few other things, after some serious moaning they were all provided

if you are staying in two star accomodation you've got to expect it to be two star but NO LESS!

Offline Mike G

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
where to stay
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2005, 01:18:26 PM »
The Olympic site is not showing Dora next year, so perhaps the standard is as you say. All they are advertising at the moment are the Alianthos', so I might be staying in a hotel for the first time for years.
Hello George,

The second edition of the Olympic 2006 brochure will feature Kostas Chrysoulla when published, so hopefully Dora as well. I agree with Harribobs later posting, if you don't have what you should have, then ask. I have normally found that reasonable requests are met.

Mike

Offline LoukaFran

• View Profile
    • Email
where to stay
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2005, 08:37:15 PM »
Hello George,

The second edition of the Olympic 2006 brochure will feature Kostas Chrysoulla when published, so hopefully Dora as well. I agree with Harribobs later posting, if you don't have what you should have, then ask. I have normally found that reasonable requests are met.

Mike
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=3655\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Offline LoukaFran

• View Profile
    • Email
where to stay
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2005, 09:13:13 PM »
Everyone expects something else on holiday, the one more than the other.

In Plakias there are so many places to stay.....

All we want is a clean room and friendly/helpful people.

We have never stayed at Dora's, Apollos or Allianthos so we can not comment on  this.

We have stayed in Lamon Hotel, Paligremnos, Ippokambos and some others and have visited some other places. (the best secrets must be kept)

Ippokambos (apartments) is (or was in any case +- 2 years ago) very clean.

The (elderly) couple who own this place look after the place very well and are almost always available.

The only thing I did not like was the fact that if you wanted to make tea you had to start the gas like on a camping site.

We stayed in Lamon Hotel several times in the past but do not think of returning.

It probably has changed over the years, but there are only a few rooms at the front and we always got stuck at the back. If the wind blows.....you will know what it is to be in the middle of it. (toilets, doors and windows needed repair)

The rooms, sorry to say this for the fans, dated from further back than Ippokambos and this for a hotel !.

Palligremnos has a very nice setting but the rooms (studios or appartments) are very small.

Only the front studios are bigger but also cost more.

We have never stayed in Alianthos.

It certainly looks better now that the parking space has moved up and the pool is more protected.

The only thing here is that some of the rooms have a (very tiny) balcony on the street !

A hint :when booking I would ask for a room at the front or at the side but certainly not on the groundfloor.

In the most places hot water is available in the early afternoon but if everyone takes a shower the water turns cold.

Once in Plakias forget your home town : power cuts are frequent but mostly short (+- 3 hours) - so like they say no stressss ........all will be okay in the end.

Offline Mike G

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
where to stay
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2005, 01:04:56 PM »
The thought has crossed my mind to travel independantly, but as I can't travel with my partner I have to travel alone so like the back up of a tour company, and Kosmar in their infinate wisdom will not accept singles even with a supl.
Hello George,

I have been to Greece a lot in recent years on my own. If you go to resorts other than Plakias sometimes, have you considered Manos? They allow singles to go supplement free early and late and even do 3 week holidays. I have always been happy with them up to now. I just wish they would feature Plakias.

In May I went to Plakias with my partner and we stayed at Kostas Chrysoulla (also Olympic) and were quite satisfied.

Mike

Offline George

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
where to stay
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2005, 05:04:07 PM »
Hello George,

I have been to Greece a lot in recent years on my own. If you go to resorts other than Plakias sometimes, have you considered Manos? They allow singles to go supplement free early and late and even do 3 week holidays. I have always been happy with them up to now. I just wish they would feature Plakias.

In May I went to Plakias with my partner and we stayed at Kostas Chrysoulla (also Olympic) and were quite satisfied.

Mike
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=3686\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I've always been surprised that Manos haven't picked up on Plakias, it is their kind of place.
I have used Manos in the past, my partner and I used to do a week on another Island around May for a week to find something close to Plakias but never did.
So Plakias it is for the big 2 weeks.
george g...

Offline harribobs

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
where to stay
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2005, 03:16:35 PM »
Re the Dora, something i did notice in May (but forgot) is that some new villas have been built on what was the open ground in front of them

Sheryl has posted a seperate thread about them here

new villa thread

Offline George

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
where to stay
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2005, 03:47:35 PM »
Re the Dora, something i did notice in May (but forgot) is that some new villas have been built on what was the open ground in front of them

Sheryl has posted a seperate thread about them here

new villa thread
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=3960\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I have already read this Harribobs, I hope they don't spoil my sea view.
They do sound very nice, will have to check them out when I get there on the 30.08 (29 days to go).
(joke about the view!)
george g...

Offline harribobs

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
where to stay
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2005, 03:50:59 PM »
you'll have to take your periscope George!!  

Offline George

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
where to stay
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2005, 04:21:38 PM »
you'll have to take your periscope George!! 
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=3963\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I know where the Dora is so I've already packed it.
george g...

Offline Mike G

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
where to stay
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2005, 03:03:40 PM »
I've always been surprised that Manos haven't picked up on Plakias, it is their kind of place.
I have used Manos in the past, my partner and I used to do a week on another Island around May for a week to find something close to Plakias but never did.
So Plakias it is for the big 2 weeks.
george g...
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=3714\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I asked Manos why they didn't feature Plakias and received the following from their Greek Product Manager.

"Thank you for the information regarding Plakias. Unfortunately the south of
the island is logistically difficult for us to operate. We would have to
take a sizeable amount of accommodation in the resort to warrant a full
coach on each of our flights, and at present this is not financially viable.
I'm always on the lookout for new resorts and destinations, and Plakias and
Aghia Gallini keep cropping up, but at the moment, these resorts would be
very difficult."

Still not sure why Kosmar and Olympic can manage it, even with their less than ideal transfers. Can any of those in the travel industry explain?

Mike