Author Topic: Hi our first time  (Read 9589 times)

Offline j0s

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Hi our first time
« on: August 09, 2004, 08:02:08 PM »
Hi

Its going to be our first time in Plakias, we are going to be staying at the Costas Chrysoulla Studios.

Whats the surrounding area like? Especially for exploring.

Whats the local pubs like?

Can you rent bikes in the town as well so we can explore further afield?

basically any info would be appreciated

many thanks

Offline Graham_and_Karen

• Regulars
    • Facebook
    • Google+
    • View Profile
    • Email
Hi our first time
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2004, 10:28:39 PM »
Welcome j0s. There's so much information on the site already it is probably best if you browse the various topics and also use the search option - lots of info on Costa Chysoulla. Make sure you check the dates of the posts though as  Costas rooms have been refurbished this year so some old comments no longer apply. Old topics will not initially be shown but you can select to view all topics not just new ones (probably an option in 'My Controls')

Offline Graham_and_Karen

• Regulars
    • Facebook
    • Google+
    • View Profile
    • Email
Hi our first time
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2004, 10:38:18 PM »
Correction - I see from one of ploppy's previous posts that to view all topics, go to the forum of interest, then near the bottom right of the page there is a drop down menu to select the topic display options

Offline ostraco

• Administrator
    • MSN Messenger - bbaazz@hotmail.com
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - FinikasUK
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to Plakias
    • Email
Hi our first time
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2004, 01:21:43 AM »
Yes, welcome j0s.
You'll have a great time - trust me!
I'm going back to Costas for 2 weeks at the end of the month - second time this year - can't wait.
Follow Graham's suggestion - and come back with any more questions!
John - Ostraco

Offline Ploppy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hounslow Weather
    • Email
Hi our first time
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2004, 04:14:50 AM »
Hi there and welcome,

As mentioned please have a good read through the previous posts, hopefully you'll find some good information. If its any help you can click here for all posts mentioning 'costas' in the last 180 days.

Being a lazy so and so I haven't done much exploring but there are plenty that have and there is a lot of beautiful countryside to see, whether on foot, bike or car.

Yes bikes (both pedal and motor) can be hired from places in Plakias, again no experience of that, too busy.... errr lazing  

There are a number of bars in Plakias, I'm sure you'll find one that suits you. Three of them (Ostraco, Kyma & Platia) are described here on Johns website.

I'm sure you will have a great time... enjoy.

Cheers,
Paul

Offline martyn

• View Profile
    • Email
Hi our first time
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2004, 07:37:16 AM »
Welcome to the Plakias lovers haven. Can't say that I ever saw any "pubs" but quite a few bars to fit anybodies taste. As for bikes, I presume you mean the motor variety? If so you can hire from very small to very large.

Have fun and enjoy.

Martyn & Svetlana

Offline Allan Barham

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Hi our first time
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2004, 08:08:49 AM »
Hi J0s

So when are you going to be in Plakias?  Are you going to be there for the Plakform meet on Sept 10th?

Regards,

Allan

Offline j0s

• View Profile
    • Email
Hi our first time
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2004, 09:12:41 AM »
Hi J0s

So when are you going to be in Plakias?  Are you going to be there for the Plakform meet on Sept 10th?

Regards,

Allan
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=2122\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi Allan. We are going to be their on the 24 Aug, for a week.

Offline Noopsy

• Sponsors
    • View Profile
    • Email
Hi our first time
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2004, 10:29:54 AM »
Can't say that I ever saw any "pubs" but quite a few bars to fit anybodies taste.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=2121\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Notice the correct terminology required, j0s!

Welcome to the Forum.    

Noopsy 500
Ελευθερία ή θάνατος

Offline j0s

• View Profile
    • Email
Hi our first time
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2004, 11:56:32 AM »
Hey, ive been told that there is no cash point in the town, but can i get euros by using my card anywhere else in the town ie at an travel agent etc?

Offline Graham_and_Karen

• Regulars
    • Facebook
    • Google+
    • View Profile
    • Email
Hi our first time
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2004, 12:43:08 PM »
Don't know where you heard that from - there are at least 2 cash points in the town.  One near Ostraco bar, one near to the Alianthos hotel

Offline Carole

• View Profile
    • Email
Hi our first time
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2004, 03:31:30 PM »

We returned from Plakias on 20 July - far too soon in our opinion.  We had a really super holiday.  We stayed in the Stella and found everything clean and well looked after.

Thanks to everyone on this Forum as we took all advice we found here.  It really was a help.

Only bad experience we had was our arrival at Heraklion - absolute nightmare getting my husband's wheelchair back!  And when we did it was very broken.  More to do with Gatwick than Heraklion I fear.  However - thats what insurance is for and it didn't spoil our holiday one scrap.

Enjoyed many times in Kyma, Sophia B, Gorgona(?) and Medusa.  Pavlos and ? (name escapes me) in Kyma really really helpful with my husband.  In fact everyone was really helpful and friendly.  I don't think I have ever been to a place where the natives were so genuinely friendly.

I think we met up with John and Zell while there but I wasn't too sure that I had got the names right.  If so it was nice to meet you and have the opinions of another wheelchair user and pusher!!!!!

Only managed a couple of trips, one to Elafonisi and one to Dia Islandi.  Wonderful days out but very long as we had to be at the coach by 6.30!  Only drawback to Elafonisi was the lack of toilet facilities - one toilet for the whole beach.  However beach was beautiful - I'm glad we went.  We also took the water taxi to Preveli - and wished we could have stayed there longer.

Hired a car for two days from Alianthos - half the price of our FC reps quote - and as we needed a six seater Alianthos offered us quite a good deal.  Did a couple of tours one to Rethymnon and one to Agia Galini.  Lovely scenery but glad to make it into the sea!

I'm sorry to see from other posts that FC have withdrawn from Plakias, I do hope Stella will be able to find alternative customers.

Thanks again to you all.

Carole

Offline John & Zell

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Hi our first time
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2004, 09:16:40 AM »
Hi. Carol,
    Yes it was us you spoke to, it was very nice meeting you too, glad you enjoyed your stay in "PARADISE" hope to see you again next year, (we're already booked, first 2 weeks in July)
Did you try my recomendation i.e. having a meal at MEDUSA?
 As for your problems with the wheelchair we have had the same problem, trying to recover it can be a nightmare, sometimes taking up to 2 hours to find it, but what we do is to have a word with the cabin crew on the plane and ask them to get it unloaded and given to the ground staff who get you of the plane, that way you have it straight away and no waiting around.
Hope this has been of some help to you.
All the best
John & Zell

Offline Carole

• View Profile
    • Email
Hi our first time
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2004, 09:44:33 AM »
Hi John & Zell

Glad it was you!  As to the wheelchair - I did ask the cabin crew to get it sent up as we had done last year in the States.  Unfortunately I was obviously not forceful enough because they said we had to use the airport wheelchair, I shall know next time to insist!!!!

As to next year - not sure at present - might be a case of a late deal.  At least you have yours to look forward to.  Actually off to Elgin near Inverness for a week 25 September and then its Christmas!

Enjoy your hols.

Carole & H

Offline j0s

• View Profile
    • Email
Hi our first time
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2004, 02:59:31 PM »
A week to go, really looking forward to it.

What kind of prices are we looking at for a decent meal, to the all essential beer?

Recomendations on good food places would be helpful as well.

many thanks

john n katie