login

Author Topic: Have I got a bargain?  (Read 12688 times)

Offline jann

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Have I got a bargain?
« on: April 20, 2010, 09:31:12 AM »
I notice that a lot of you travel independently  to Plakias !  Is this really the best way ?

I paid £187 for a return flight with Monarch, Manchester to Heraklion, transfer and self catering accommodation at Kostas Chrysoulla with Olympic  (in  May) .

Offline Peter&Dawn

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Have I got a bargain?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2010, 10:07:21 AM »
Quote from: jann
I notice that a lot of you travel independently  to Plakias !  Is this really the best way ?

I paid £187 for a return flight with Monarch, Manchester to Heraklion, transfer and self catering accommodation at Kostas Chrysoulla with Olympic  (in  May) .

We have travelled both independently and with a tour company. We were lucky a few years ago when we were independent, and Excel crashed the week after we returned home. (George was not so lucky, he was still in Plakias).

As the airline industry seems vunerable, we are back with Olympic, just for piece of mind.

Your deal sounds pretty good to me, unfortunately we are tied to school holidays when costs soar.

I'm sure you'll have a great time.

Peter&Dawn

Offline Ploppy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hounslow Weather
    • Email
Have I got a bargain?
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2010, 10:34:17 AM »
I notice that a lot of you travel independently to Plakias ! Is this really the best way ?

I paid £187 for a return flight with Monarch, Manchester to Heraklion, transfer and self catering accommodation at Kostas Chrysoulla with Olympic (in May) .

Thats a fab deal Jann.

I think independent is quite a bit more expensive these days. Gives you flexibity and choice though.

Offline Mike G

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Have I got a bargain?
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2010, 02:30:07 PM »

Hello Jann,

Basically couples who hire a car (i.e. the transfer is just the petrol cost) can save versus Olympic but otherwise probably not; however the choice of flight/accommodation is limited with Olympic and the transfer can be frustrating. Peter & Dawn's point is well made- ask George!

Rest assured you got a great price. Plakias gets fully booked with Olympic very early (although Kostas Chrysoulla does have a lot of rooms) so you may have been lucky in that someone had just cancelled.

I hope you enjoy it.

Mike

Offline Mike from Sussex

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Have I got a bargain?
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2010, 03:24:42 PM »

Jann,

The current price on Avro for the Monarch flight is £199.50, so the answer to your question is a resounding yes.

Hope you get away OK and enjoy your break. My wife and I are due out to the Canaries next Wednesday, Icelandic ash permitting.

Mike

Offline jann

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Have I got a bargain?
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2010, 04:23:09 PM »
Quote from: Mike from Sussex

Jann,

The current price on Avro for the Monarch flight is £199.50, so the answer to your question is a resounding yes.

Hope you get away OK and enjoy your break. My wife and I are due out to the Canaries next Wednesday, Icelandic ash permitting.

Mike

:huh:Have I got a bargain?

Thanks all, I think I am satisfied with my deal  

I have good daytime flights, last time I went it was 4am when I arrived in Plakias  

I know the taxi fare from Heraklion is around 100 Euros and I also know it is quite a long arduous transfer by coach.

I have stayed at Kostas Chrysoulla before ( when it was just 1 block of sc rooms ). I've  also stayed at Zorbas which was lovely  

S'pose it's swings and roundabouts  !

I'm really grateful for all your advice, looking forward to seeing Plakias again (volcanic ash permitting )  

Jann

Offline harribobs

• Regulars
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - harribobs
    • View Profile
    • http://themanchesters.org
    • Email
Have I got a bargain?
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2010, 12:13:42 PM »
hmm, i think i'd put up with a coach transfer and save the euros!!

Offline jann

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Have I got a bargain?
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2010, 12:26:29 PM »
    That's what I thought    

Offline Barny

• Regulars
  • Have I seen you in Kyma?
    • View Profile
    • Email
Have I got a bargain?
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2010, 01:03:01 PM »
We did the coach transfer last year, it wasn't that bad, just waiting at the airport was the most frustrating. Once you get going , out with a book or the headphones or just enjoy the different scenery and remember what's at the end of the journey?

Barny.
Fancy a Mythos?

Offline jann

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Have I got a bargain?
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2010, 12:57:13 AM »
Quote from: Barny
We did the coach transfer last year, it wasn't that bad, just waiting at the airport was the most frustrating. Once you get going , out with a book or the headphones or just enjoy the different scenery and remember what's at the end of the journey?

Barny.

I actually enjoyed the transfer even though it took 31/2 hours !  made me realise how lucky I was to be going to Plakias and not some of the places we dropped people off in Rethymon areas and Bali    

Offline Barny

• Regulars
  • Have I seen you in Kyma?
    • View Profile
    • Email
Have I got a bargain?
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2010, 08:17:00 AM »
Has anyone ever stayed at Bali? I always remember years ago the coach always called there and there were always comments from other passengers on their first impressions of the place.
I would not like to stay there!

Barny.
Fancy a Mythos?

Offline Gemma1

• View Profile
Have I got a bargain?
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2010, 05:35:27 PM »
Both times I've been to Plakias with Olympic I've been lucky enough to be provided with a taxi transfer rather than the coach so certainly couldn't do it cheaper independently.

Offline Capricorn

• View Profile
Have I got a bargain?
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2010, 08:57:00 PM »
Quote from: Gemma1
Both times I've been to Plakias with Olympic I've been lucky enough to be provided with a taxi transfer rather than the coach so certainly couldn't do it cheaper independently.

I know that it doesn't always fit in with flight times but I always use the bus(es)....massive savings and comfortable air conditioned coaches for the long ride from Rethymno to Heraklion....if you aren't sure about catching the airport bus from the port bus stop where you are dropped off you can always catch a taxi for the last short leg of the journey....

Offline Noopsy

• Sponsors
    • View Profile
    • Email
Have I got a bargain?
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2010, 12:19:39 AM »
Quote from: Capricorn
if you aren't sure about catching the airport bus from the port bus stop where you are dropped off
You catch it from Eleftherias Square although it's a bit of a hike to get there.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 12:21:01 AM by Noopsy 500 »
Ελευθερία ή θάνατος

Offline Capricorn

• View Profile
Have I got a bargain?
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2010, 10:45:11 AM »
Quote from: Noopsy 500
Quote from: Capricorn
if you aren't sure about catching the airport bus from the port bus stop where you are dropped off
You catch it from Eleftherias Square although it's a bit of a hike to get there.

Thanks Noopsy -not sure if I ever knew the name - I've found the bus stop in the daytime but when I have travelled back at night it just seems easier to get into a taxi for the last leg - and there are usually a whole load of others doing the same so its easy to share,usual advice applies - get an agreed price for the journey - these guys are going back and forth to the airport all day so they know how much they should be charging you....and asking for the price shows that you do too.