login

Author Topic: XL airways  (Read 24399 times)

Offline Mike G

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
XL airways
« Reply #45 on: September 15, 2008, 01:08:15 PM »
Quote from: Kerstin
Today I found an article in our news paper about XL Airways. I read more than 80.000 tourists are stranded in several countries all over the world.
I believe it will be very difficult to find flights for some many people. I also read more than 200.000 people are affected by this crash. It concerns
all these people which were booked on XL Airways during the next weeks.

I think it is necessary to have an insurance against such damages. It is one way to get the money back.

On the other side you have a booked accomodation but no flights and than it is very difficult to find suitable flights. I tried a dummy booking
but I could not find any flights from Leipzig to Heraklion within the next 2 weeks.

By the way...  I hope nothing will happens with our flights to Gran Canaria next week because I am looking forward to our holiday.

Kerstin
I think the CAA (as part of the ATOL bonding) is chartering flights to bring holidaymakers home who left in the last 2 weeks; free for those with the bond (i.e. package tour clients) and on a commercial basis for those not. What will happen for those who are staying longer I don't know. Some, like Greecemad, will be resourceful and make their own arrangements for coming back.

On looking at my travel insurance I couldn't find any reference to what happens under the circumstances pertaining to XL and would be interested if anyone knows. One thing it did say was that you couldn't claim back any losses on airline mileage offers (e.g. Airmiles) or supermarket loyalty schemes (e.g. Tesco).

We all hope George gets back OK and hope he reports that in spite of hassle at the end, he had a good time.

Mike

Offline Barny

• Regulars
  • Have I seen you in Kyma?
    • View Profile
    • Email
XL airways
« Reply #46 on: September 15, 2008, 01:32:18 PM »
We will have to start a "Bring back George "  campaign. !!

Barny.
Fancy a Mythos?

Offline harribobs

• Regulars
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - harribobs
    • View Profile
    • http://themanchesters.org
    • Email
XL airways
« Reply #47 on: September 15, 2008, 02:22:31 PM »
Quote from: Barny

Barny.

he'll be starting a ' let me stay' campaign

Offline Kerstin

• Regulars
    • View Profile
XL airways
« Reply #48 on: September 15, 2008, 08:12:49 PM »
On looking at my travel insurance I couldn't find any reference to what happens under the circumstances pertaining to XL and would be interested if anyone knows. One thing it did say was that you couldn't claim back any losses on airline mileage offers (e.g. Airmiles) or supermarket loyalty schemes (e.g. Tesco).

We all hope George gets back OK and hope he reports that in spite of hassle at the end, he had a good time.

Mike

Mike, we thought about this problem.
In Germany we get an chattel paper. Sorry, I am not sure about the translation. I had a look on the dictionary and I did not found an other translation.
Please help me, if it is not correct.
We get this paper with each booking about a tour operator. This paper is very important as to come home if such circumstances happen.
It means we do not have to pay for extra costs.
When we book the flights private we can effect an insurance it works on the same way. This insurance is not expensive. When I remember it costs a couple
of Euros.
At present we have a special credit card from the biggest automobile club in Germany (ADAC) and this card insured us from the moment of the booking
until the arrival at home. During the last days we got a letter and the conditions will be changed from the beginning of the next year. Until now the amount
of the journey is indifferent but from the next year they will raise the value.
We will see what will happens.

Kerstin

Offline Peter&Dawn

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
XL airways
« Reply #49 on: September 16, 2008, 06:54:34 AM »
Quote from: Barny

Barny.

George has managed to get a flight home today, although it is to Heathrow not Gatwick.  

I'm sure he will be writing on this site about his experiences over the last few days.

Peter&Dawn

Offline Barny

• Regulars
  • Have I seen you in Kyma?
    • View Profile
    • Email
XL airways
« Reply #50 on: September 16, 2008, 12:31:23 PM »
I just looked on the First choice flight only site and they only want 586 quid in August next year, thats with xtra leg room !!

Barny.
Fancy a Mythos?

Offline Mike G

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
XL airways
« Reply #51 on: September 16, 2008, 01:08:26 PM »
Quote from: Kerstin
Mike, we thought about this problem.
In Germany we get an chattel paper. Sorry, I am not sure about the translation. I had a look on the dictionary and I did not found an other translation.
Please help me, if it is not correct.
We get this paper with each booking about a tour operator. This paper is very important as to come home if such circumstances happen.
It means we do not have to pay for extra costs.
When we book the flights private we can effect an insurance it works on the same way. This insurance is not expensive. When I remember it costs a couple
of Euros.
At present we have a special credit card from the biggest automobile club in Germany (ADAC) and this card insured us from the moment of the booking
until the arrival at home. During the last days we got a letter and the conditions will be changed from the beginning of the next year. Until now the amount
of the journey is indifferent but from the next year they will raise the value.
We will see what will happens.

Kerstin
Hello Kerstin,

Your "Chattel Paper" sounds like our ATOL (Air Travel  Organisers' Licence) protection. This adds £1 to a tour operator booking. Previously this was "invisible" but from next year tour operators seem to be listing it separately on invoices. This is part of a tour operator trend to charge and list separately things like this, in flight meals, extra luggage allowance, etc. Extra legroom seats went the same way a few years ago.

My guess is that the UK government will be forced to extend this scheme to airlines after the major problems caused by the demise of XL. Currently the best protection for flight only bookings seems to be to pay by credit card, as the postion re. travel insurance seems unclear and mired in the small print.

Mike

ps. George has a lot a friends on this forum and we all look forward to hearing soon that he is back safely, Heathrow (see Peter & Dawn's posting) notwithstanding.

Offline LinR

• View Profile
    • Email
XL airways
« Reply #52 on: September 16, 2008, 11:22:58 PM »
Well we are here and having a great time and hopefully we will be goimg home on Saturday with altenative flights now XL have gone bust.
The CAA  tell us flights will be posted on the web site 24/48 hours pre flight times. Will keep you  informed1

Offline harribobs

• Regulars
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - harribobs
    • View Profile
    • http://themanchesters.org
    • Email
XL airways
« Reply #53 on: September 16, 2008, 11:47:30 PM »
Quote from: Lin & Steve
Well we are here and having a great time

very pleased that it's not spoiled your holiday!  

hope your flight is OK!

Offline cornucopia

• View Profile
XL airways
« Reply #54 on: September 17, 2008, 08:56:34 AM »
I was meant to be flying back XL in the early hours of Saturday. Saw that they'd gone bust pretty early (the story had only been on the BBC site for half an hour) and managed to book with easyJet for 340 euros. On Saturday night. Extra day's holiday and the cost is covered by my credit card company (I rang them and checked).

Currently typing this in Ostraco's supping a small Mythos. Beach beckons. Happy days...