Author Topic: September v May  (Read 4392 times)

Offline Daniel

• View Profile
September v May
« on: August 30, 2007, 06:42:25 PM »
We will be returning to Plakias for our second visit, arriving on 18th September and staying for 2 weeks at the Kostas Chrysoulla Studios.

We very much enjoyed our first visit last year in early May when we stayed at the Lamon Hotel, although we did not enjoy the Lamon Hotel at all !!.

We were wondering what the changes from May would be:
a) Temperatures  (day and evening)
 Tourist numbers
c) Availability (when do some of the places begin to close for the season)
d) Sea Temperature
e) Mosquito levels

Perhaps some of the more regular September Plakiats could help us?

Offline John R

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fluteweb.net
    • Email
September v May
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2007, 07:46:34 PM »
Quote from: Daniel
 Tourist numbers
d) Sea Temperature
e) Mosquito levels

I suspect the air temperatures may be very similar - warmer I suspect than early May - though it may depend on the May in question as I think it can be a variable Month. Some of our friends were cold and wet in May this year (unusual ?)

I am told that September tourist numbers are greater than May numbers - something fairly unique to Plakias I suspect. Last year in Sept /Oct our host said it was the busiest he had ever seen in Plakias. There was a rather large influx of Chechs as well.

You should find everything still open in Plakias (our experience) - big sudden shutdown at the end of October.

I understand Sea temp in September is higher than in May - according to the charts.

We haven't got bitten much in Sept / Oct though a couple of times in our room last year - till we exterminated the pesky thing.

John R

Offline Graham_and_Karen

• Regulars
    • Facebook
    • Google+
    • View Profile
    • Email
September v May
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2007, 08:53:45 PM »
We will be returning to Plakias for our second visit, arriving on 18th September and staying for 2 weeks at the Kostas Chrysoulla Studios.

We very much enjoyed our first visit last year in early May when we stayed at the Lamon Hotel, although we did not enjoy the Lamon Hotel at all !!.

Tourist numbers
d) Sea Temperature
e) Mosquito levels

The other thing you will notice will be the (about 1 hour) earlier sunsets in mid/late  September.

Offline jann

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
September v May
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2007, 09:35:11 PM »
From my experience I would say generally, you'll find the sea temperatures much warmer in September having had all year to warm up!  but the evenings darker earlier and cooler, but the days are usually still hot !  

In May you should have have lighter warmer evenings with a cooler sea temperature. but still hot days !

Offline Mike G

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
September v May
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2007, 01:32:54 PM »
I agree with most of the above; however, on average I don't think you will find the evenings cooler in the autumn. The sea will certainly be warmer.

John R and others have for a long time reported how busy Plakias is in late Sept/early Oct, which is rather unusual for Greece as a whole.

The important thing to note is that both May and late Sept/early Oct are great times to visit.

Mike
« Last Edit: August 31, 2007, 02:24:35 PM by Mike G »

Offline cornucopia

• View Profile
September v May
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2007, 02:55:03 PM »
Erm... exactly HOW busy is it in September these days? I was planning on turning up unannounced (on the 14th) and just finding a room - that's what I did the other time I've been, 10 or 12 years ago, and it was easy. Is it still possible?

Offline John R

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fluteweb.net
    • Email
September v May
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2007, 05:21:37 PM »
Quote from: cornucopia
Erm... exactly HOW busy is it in September these days? I was planning on turning up unannounced (on the 14th) and just finding a room - that's what I did the other time I've been, 10 or 12 years ago, and it was easy. Is it still possible?

I don't think you will have a problem finding a room. Some people with special requirements - like a large group all wanting to be in the same place had problems. The place of your 1st choice may be full but I'm sure - based on last 2 years that there will be some rooms available. You will definitely find it busier than 10 or 12 years ago. Er this forum is possible partly to blame for that !!

John R

Offline Mike from Sussex

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
September v May
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2007, 03:50:45 PM »
Quote from: cornucopia

You can always call into Anso Travel (see the map) if your first choice is not available. They are pretty sure to find you something suitable.

Mike

Offline George

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
September v May
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2007, 03:53:09 PM »

Tourist numbers
d) Sea Temperature
e) Mosquito levels

Hi Daniel

I've got back yesterday, I was in town mid september last year and the year before and found it cool, long trousers and sweaters for the evenings, so went earlier. Perfect temperatures, which were probably caused by the mini heat wave earlier in the year, which I'd hazard a guess are going to stay around a bit longer so you should be ok.
There are more people around in September, to be honest I found Plakias very quiet while I was there, days and nights (the Levicon was bliss   )
There always seems to be rooms around, so don't worry too much.
The sea temperature was like a warm bath within seconds of entering so I can't see that changing for a while, although there were the first big clouds coming over the Dragon on Monday PM.
Mozzis, haven't seen any for years, but there are a lot more flys around this year than I've seen for some time.

Enjoy

george g...