login

Author Topic: Members Helpline  (Read 3406 times)

Offline John & Zell

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Members Helpline
« on: June 23, 2004, 05:57:09 PM »
 Am I the only one who takes adaptors on holiday?
by that I mean mobile phone chargers 2 (For emergency only)
digital camera charger, personal cd player (mains ac/dc adaptor) cd player speakers (mains ac/dc adaptor) all of these add up to a fair weight when you have your 20kg limit
So does anyone out there know if there are multy connectors available (1 for chargers and 1 for ac/dc adaptors) ? at least then i can cut down from 5 down to 2
Hope someone can help
John & Zell

Offline Ploppy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hounslow Weather
    • Email
Members Helpline
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2004, 08:49:36 PM »
I have the same problem being Mr Gadget Man. The trouble I have is the propietry connecters at the gadget end that things use. I suppose you you could rewire all your connectors in to one unit with some sort of switchable step-down jobby so that all your devices get the right juice. I don't have the know how or pateience however so I guess I'll just keep lugging those chargers to Plakias  

Cheers

Paul

Offline Graham_and_Karen

• Regulars
    • Facebook
    • Google+
    • View Profile
    • Email
Members Helpline
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2004, 08:37:04 AM »
If you don't use your mobile too option, one option might be one of these emergency chargers that run off AA batteries. They come with a range of adapters for the most popular mobiles. For other electrical appliances you'd need an adapter with switchable outputs as Paul says but often they are 'cheap and nasty' with poor voltage regulation - would probably be ok but the manufacturer's own charger will almost certainly be better.

Offline Ploppy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hounslow Weather
    • Email
Members Helpline
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2004, 08:57:19 AM »
Hi Again,

Had another thought... could you not use high capacity NiMH batteries in your CD/Speakers and then look at something like This Jobby to charge them plus your mobile battery packs. It should also charge your digicam battery pack (or if it takes normal batteries thats fine too).

Just a thought... not cheap though  

Or you could use the marvellous Plakias sun, check out Solar Powered Wotsit, you can get wind-up ones too.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2004, 09:00:41 AM by Ploppy »

Offline John & Zell

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Members Helpline
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2004, 09:38:50 AM »
WOW!!!!!!!!! what a fantastic responce, thank you all very much.
I looked at the various gadgets, and whilst I agree they would be extreemly usefull at home, the mere size and weight of them would I think take up even more space and weight.
Just by chance I was checking out my cd player last night and it seems to have given up and is now usless so I checked out the Argos cat' and found a very reasonably priced Bush unit that comes with its own speakers so I'm just assuming this means I only need 1 ac/dc adaptor, so at least I've cut down on 1.
  Once again many thanks to you all for your help
I hope this new HELPLINE topic will prove to be usefull in future for members
John & Zell