login

Author Topic: No Plakias this year  (Read 4418 times)

Offline roger

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
No Plakias this year
« on: August 04, 2004, 01:19:57 PM »
Yesterday . I often thought of where I would be that time next week as we were due to fly out next tuesday . But when I got home I had a phone call from my new partner which changed everything . She had been to her doctor yesterday afternoon and has been diagnosed as having extremely high blood pressure .She is on medication and has been advised strongly not to fly in such circs - advice which I felt bound to re-enforce . She wanted me to go by myself to Plakias which I have often done previously but we had both been so looking forward to a holiday together that I would not even comtemplate that .We discussed and explored other options and iwll now be staying in the house of friends of mine in the highlands whilst they are in france .Not so hot as Plakias and no beaches but stil tremendous scenery - and much as I like the Livicon , I will be able to drink much better beer ! So in about an hour or so , I lost one holiday but gained another. We are already talking about going to Plakias next year but it is perhaps temtping fate to assume that the relationship will still be strong then but I hope so
 I will miss Plakias greatly but people are more important than places and I am sure I have made the right decision
 I must make sure to keep some of the great ideas on day trips from Plakias - esp those from John R - as they will be very useful next year
Anyone live in the highlands and might want to meet up for a drink and a chat about Plakias ?
 roger

Offline John R

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fluteweb.net
    • Email
No Plakias this year
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2004, 04:25:00 PM »
Wow  -I'm sorry about that. However for years we have had two holiday destinations, Isle of Mull in May and Plakias in October and we cannot decide on which we prefer - not that it matters - they are both idyllic destinations. You'll have a great time in Scotland so enjoy your Holiday. I'll raise a glass to you in Livicon when I'm there in September.

John R

Offline Yvonne

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
No Plakias this year
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2004, 05:48:22 PM »
Yesterday . I often thought of where I would be that time next week as we were due to fly out next tuesday . But when I got home I had a phone call from my new partner which changed everything . She had been to her doctor yesterday afternoon and has been diagnosed as having extremely high blood pressure .She is on medication and has been advised strongly not to fly in such circs - advice which I felt bound to re-enforce . She wanted me to go by myself to Plakias which I have often done previously but we had both been so looking forward to a holiday together that I would not even comtemplate that .We discussed and explored other options and iwll now be staying in the house of friends of mine in the highlands whilst they are in france .Not so hot as Plakias and no beaches but stil tremendous scenery - and much as I like the Livicon , I will be able to drink much better beer ! So in about an hour or so , I lost one holiday but gained another. We are already talking about going to Plakias next year but it is perhaps temtping fate to assume that the relationship will still be strong then but I hope so
 I will miss Plakias greatly but people are more important than places and I am sure I have made the right decision
 I must make sure to keep some of the great ideas on day trips from Plakias - esp those from John R - as they will be very useful next year
Anyone live in the highlands and might want to meet up for a drink and a chat about Plakias ?
 roger
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=2076\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

So sorry to hear that.  You have made the right decision I am sure.  I hope your partner responds to treatment and feels better soon.  Have a super time in Scotland.
Yvonne

Offline ostraco

• Administrator
    • MSN Messenger - bbaazz@hotmail.com
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - FinikasUK
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to Plakias
    • Email
No Plakias this year
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2004, 06:16:29 PM »
Right Roger - people over places every time.
I'm sure you're doing the right thing - and all John's ideas will still be here next year!
Enjoy Scotland!
John - Ostraco

Offline fraoula

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
No Plakias this year
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2004, 04:03:17 PM »
Quote from: roger,Aug 4 2004, 12:19 PM
just got back from a week in Scotland myself; we fly up once or twice a year to visit family and I absolutely adore it  ! When I speak to people who have never travelled there they are surprised when I show them pictures of the spectacular scenery because they think it's such a drab place. We had an excellent time sight seeing and sampling the fresh seafood ( at a very good price too- £7.00 for a HUGE bowl of moules served in their shells with a white wine sauce,  delicious!!) over on the west coast. You can also find some great sandy beaches aswell-am I right or am I right? Best to see them on a good day though  !
       I'm sure you'll have a great time- even if you just sit back and relax and   enjoy the scenery!
                                   Fraoula

Offline roger

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
No Plakias this year
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2004, 05:53:12 PM »
Very many thanks John R, Yvonne , John and Fraoula for such lovely and supportive and positive responses . This conference , as well  as swapping news and ideas about Plakias , is really great as it feels like being among friends you have known for years - which probably says something about the sort of great people who love Plakias
 I shall certainly miss Plakias and Penny is really disappointed about not going , but there is always next year and certainly the Highlands are really stunning and beautiful . Now we have got used to the sudden and unexpected change of plans we are  really looking forward to a great holiday - and in my case . to all the pubs I hope to get to and different real ales I intend to sample . I think the driver is just realising that implication !
Not sure about the beaches though - we are certainly not near any where we are staying on Speyside and I doubt we will get to any - and certainly no development of the all over tan for now
roger

Offline Noopsy

• Sponsors
    • View Profile
    • Email
No Plakias this year
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2004, 07:09:30 PM »
You can also find some great sandy beaches aswell-am I right or am I right? Best to see them on a good day though  !      
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=2083\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Right you are!  If you are in or around Edinburgh   (my home town!) Portobello is the place to go.  It has a nice sandy beach with tiny bits of charcoal (or is it coal?) mixed in.  There is another beach resort in the area - can't remember its name - but I don't know what it's like as I've never been there.

Noopsy
« Last Edit: August 05, 2004, 07:11:05 PM by Noopsy 500 »
Ελευθερία ή θάνατος

Offline fraoula

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
No Plakias this year
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2004, 12:52:35 PM »
You can also find some great sandy beaches aswell-am I right or am I right? Best to see them on a good day though  !      
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=2083\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Right you are!  If you are in or around Edinburgh   (my home town!) Portobello is the place to go.  It has a nice sandy beach with tiny bits of charcoal (or is it coal?) mixed in.  There is another beach resort in the area - can't remember its name - but I don't know what it's like as I've never been there.

Noopsy
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=2088\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thankyou Noopsy! I was in Edinburgh last week for a day, I love it too! I've always wanted to stay in The Witchery  but at £250 per night  , I think I'll wait until my winning numbers show. My partner comes form the west side of Scotland (a small town backed by the campsie fells )
 so we visit quite alot.  My partner is very 'into' history and apparantly the small 'charcoal' bits you mention on the beach are in fact pieces of volcanic rock!! Parts of Scotland were once volcanic-( we're talking perhaps hundreds of thousands or even million of years ago!!) he's got it in a book somewhere about the house so with the frequent Scottish wind ups, I had to check it out..  
You're never too far from water though in Scotland because of course you have the  Lochs which I think are just as beautiful as the coastline                     Fraoula

Offline Noopsy

• Sponsors
    • View Profile
    • Email
No Plakias this year
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2004, 08:52:52 AM »
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=2088\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
[/quote]

You're never too far from water though in Scotland because of course you have the  Lochs which I think are just as beautiful as the coastline                     Fraoula
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=2092\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
[/quote]
Aye, they arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre!  
Ελευθερία ή θάνατος