login

Author Topic: Loving Crete  (Read 7765 times)

Offline harribobs

• Regulars
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - harribobs
    • View Profile
    • http://themanchesters.org
    • Email
Loving Crete
« on: October 14, 2005, 10:29:00 PM »
I've come across a rather nice site  (from the Interkriti forum) that may interest the forum

Loving Crete

It's a new site where a guy (Ray) is writing about his experiences of Crete in the sixties, five chapters up to now, very interesting indeed

Offline beachcombers

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://
Loving Crete
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2005, 11:23:58 PM »
I've come across a rather nice site  (from the Interkriti forum) that may interest the forum

Loving Crete

It's a new site where a guy (Ray) is writing about his experiences of Crete in the sixties, five chapters up to now, very interesting indeed
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=4726\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yeah great charming lovely stories. Noticed and enjoyed reading part 1-4 on another Crete forum.  Just have been reading reading part 5 on Ray's own site. We just wished we could turn the clock 30 years back and could experience the old days in Crete by ourselves. We missed the Cretian experience as ignorant as we were about Greece/Crete in the 70's. However we want to catch up in the coming years.
NB We have been globetrotters in the early 70 's by profession, however then never realised that Crete was one of the best places (or most likely THE BEST PLACE) to be. Regretably nobody told us / or did we not listen ??

Beachcombers

PS  Afraid we have a serious infection of Plakiasinitis / Cretanitis for which apparently no medicins are available yet.

Offline Rodger

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://
Loving Crete
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2005, 08:56:54 AM »
NB We have been globetrotters in the early 70 's by profession, however then never realised that Crete was one of the best places (or most likely THE BEST PLACE) to be.

Crete definitely has an appeal for global travelling types.

On my first evening in Bombay in January 1991, I met a Canadian couple who had been swimming at Damnoni a few days previously.  Then at Plakias youth hostel later that year, setting off to the beach with three fellow hostellers, it turned out that all of us had been to India.

Offline harribobs

• Regulars
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - harribobs
    • View Profile
    • http://themanchesters.org
    • Email
Loving Crete
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2005, 10:52:08 AM »
Part 6 of Rays story is now on the site, Matala!

Offline Raymond

• View Profile
Loving Crete
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2007, 11:54:43 AM »
Just thought I'd mention that the collection of stories is finished - twelve or more sections. I have also started another set about being there under the military junta - the colonels- and I have completed about five of them so far.

Ray

Offline Raymond

• View Profile
Loving Crete
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2007, 10:47:12 AM »
For your information, I have placed all my stories - about 19 or so now plus some articles about Crete and Greece - on a new website with just my writings.

Hidden Crete

I hope it will be easier to read.

Ray

Offline George

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Loving Crete
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2007, 12:05:51 PM »
Quote from: Raymond
For your information, I have placed all my stories - about 19 or so now plus some articles about Crete and Greece - on a new website with just my writings.

Hidden Crete

Ray

I've printed them off after a quick taster, Ray.
If I don't read them before I go, I'll definately take them with me and read them while I'm there.

I think we all know how you feel, Crete is an infectious place.

good luck to you   and keep the stories coming.

george g...

Offline Barny

• Regulars
  • Have I seen you in Kyma?
    • View Profile
    • Email
Loving Crete
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2007, 02:17:12 PM »
Just looked myself and am impressed, something to read on the flight over on Friday!

Barny.
Fancy a Mythos?

Offline Raymond

• View Profile
Loving Crete
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2007, 12:04:49 AM »
Thank you for the kind words. I have now put fourteen chapters of my first set of stories, 1966 the first summer I came to Crete. I have started a second series which starts in 1968 when I came here to live under the rule of the junta, the colonels. This is more comprehensive and I am now up to chapter six. It is hard work to write these some 40 years later but people have said that they are worth telling so why not?

Ray
Hidden Crete

Offline Alex&fran G

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/groundy
    • Email
Loving Crete
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2007, 05:12:46 PM »
Quote from: Raymond

Hidden Crete

Ray

Very impresive Raymond, Well done.  Alex G
MAKE SURE YOUR MEMORIES ARE NEVER GREATER THAN YOUR DREAMS.

Offline Raymond

• View Profile
Loving Crete
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2007, 10:32:34 PM »
Thanks Alex, I appreciate your reply.

Hope you enjoyed the website.

Ray
http://www.hiddencrete.com

Offline Chris H.

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Loving Crete
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2007, 07:54:05 PM »
Thanks Raymond, great stories, makes me even more homesick.....only ten more months to go
btw, for the record: Lidl is German, not Dutch (don't mention the war!)
Chris H.

Offline Raymond

• View Profile
Loving Crete
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2007, 10:48:19 PM »
This is just a note to let you know that the sites www .hiddencrete .com and www .lovingcrete .com have now been moved to another server and a new site which is based on the lines of the old hiddencrete site has just been formed. It is called simply: 'Crete'.

The new address is: http://crete.wordpress.com and you can access this directly by clicking on or using this new domain or address. In the meantime both the hiddencrete and lovingcrete domains will redirect you to the new site.

All of my writings about crete in the early days (1966) and crete in the days of the miltary junta (1967 - 1975) are easy to access from the front page. Other writings that I and my friends have done regarding crete are all now in easily accessible blog format also from the front page. I am still adding stuff of interest to people in crete and people who love crete from afar. Stories and local news.

I will continue writing also about modern crete and there are also crete related poems etc on the site.

There is now no forum on the site. However the comments you can make on the new Crete site can often start a discussion related to the story or item of news to which it relates. I have links to other Crete forums also on the front page as well as other Cretan information sites and other Cretan blogs.

If you have provided a link for me in the past I will be grateful if you could set it to the new address. I will also provide a link for you if I haven't so already.

I am in the middle of retiring from web design and running many sites from my home here in Crete so now I will have more time to write for the new Crete site. If anyone is keen to provide interesting stories about crete I would be pleased to see them and they can contact me via the comments box on the 'About' page of the new site.

Thank you all for attending my sites in the past and welcome to the new site.

Ray
http://crete.wordpress.com/

Offline Graham_and_Karen

• Regulars
    • Facebook
    • Google+
    • View Profile
    • Email
Loving Crete
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2007, 09:17:10 AM »
Thanks Ray for the link to your site. I'm not into history much but the blog and current stuff is great. It's good to have a different perspective on the island, it's people and us, the tourists. I followed the link to the Living in Crete site (also new to me) and that looks good as well.  

Offline Raymond

• View Profile
Loving Crete
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2007, 03:06:03 PM »
Quote from: Graham_and_Karen
I followed the link to the Living in Crete site (also new to me) and that looks good as well.

That site - Living in Crete with the forum and all the info is actually done by Caroline, the girl that wrote the book 'Living in Crete.' She is married to a cretan guy and has been here many years.

Ray