Author Topic: DORA STUDIO  (Read 8630 times)

Offline keef

• View Profile
    • http://
DORA STUDIO
« on: January 05, 2008, 10:31:13 AM »
Hi Happy New Year. Looking to book for this year as anyone stayed at or any info on Dora studios?

Cheers

Keef

Mandy Harrison

DORA STUDIO
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2008, 08:07:31 PM »
Quote from: keef
Hi Happy New Year. Looking to book for this year as anyone stayed at or any info on Dora studios?

Cheers

Keef

Stayed there a few years ago.  Dont think we will bother again.  Its okish.  Basic.  Had trouble with hot water as I recall and had to get on to the rep it was so bad.  After we complained things got better.  Its clean and simple and if that's all you need then you will be ok.  I think George stays there and finds it ok.

Offline George

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
DORA STUDIO
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2008, 08:49:47 AM »
Hi Keef

Went independantly last year and found a place that I much preferred, although the previous three years I did stay at the Dora. (Nice to see your paying attention Mandy).
As Mandy said it is a basic appartment and I had no complaints about it, although I did have a good room in a good position.
There is a private house in front of Dora which means that some of the rooms have a view of a concrete wall. The other downside of Dora is that there is a lot of building going on around it and it is beginning to get a bit 'hemmed in'.
There is also a steep hill that one has to climb to the entrance and then three small flights of stairs to get you into the apartments, so if the pins are a bit dodgy I wouldn't recommend it.
It's a bit of a shame really, Dora, who runs the place is delightfull and a bit shy, so with all the building going on around her I don't think the apartments will survive much longer.

Check out the 'Article System' (top of page), Keef there might be some more info.

george g...

Offline keef

• View Profile
DORA STUDIO
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2008, 02:51:24 PM »
Quote from: Mandy Harrison

Cheers

Keef

Stayed there a few years ago.  Dont think we will bother again.  Its okish.  Basic.  Had trouble with hot water as I recall and had to get on to the rep it was so bad.  After we complained things got better.  Its clean and simple and if that's all you need then you will be ok.  I think George stays there and finds it ok.

Thanks Mandy i think we will give it a miss

Cheers

Keith+

Offline keef

• View Profile
DORA STUDIO
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2008, 02:52:55 PM »
Quote from: George
Hi Keef

Went independantly last year and found a place that I much preferred, although the previous three years I did stay at the Dora. (Nice to see your paying attention Mandy).
As Mandy said it is a basic appartment and I had no complaints about it, although I did have a good room in a good position.
There is a private house in front of Dora which means that some of the rooms have a view of a concrete wall. The other downside of Dora is that there is a lot of building going on around it and it is beginning to get a bit 'hemmed in'.
There is also a steep hill that one has to climb to the entrance and then three small flights of stairs to get you into the apartments, so if the pins are a bit dodgy I wouldn't recommend it.
It's a bit of a shame really, Dora, who runs the place is delightfull and a bit shy, so with all the building going on around her I don't think the apartments will survive much longer.

Check out the 'Article System' (top of page), Keef there might be some more info.

george g...

George thanks for that, it's back to the drawing board.

Keef

Offline George

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
DORA STUDIO
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2008, 03:16:47 PM »
George thanks for that, it's back to the drawing board.

Keef

Or the internet Keef!

I went independantly last year for the first time, and as far as I'm concerned there's no going back unless more tour operators start using Plakias and start using a more varied selection of accommadation.

If you can afford that little bit extra Keef, you won't regret it!  

george g...

Offline travellingran

• Sponsors
    • View Profile
    • Email
DORA STUDIO
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2008, 03:27:04 PM »
Hello, I have stayed on two occasions at the Dora Studios.  May 2006 and 2007.
 Good value older style budget accommodation.  Dora herself is very friendly and helpful despite running  the place single-handedly while waiting hand and foot on her husband and young son. This can lead to rooms being left a bit dusty and not cleaned for the odd day or two.
 The Dora , however , is basically clean and well maintained.
It is now becoming built around. This is a shame as this part of the village was almost empty until 8 years ago.
I was lucky to have an upper studio on both occasions so I was higher than the white wall mentioned. I had a good view - mostly inland and a large balcony.
I am an older single traveller and find the Dora a bit too sparsely furnished now as I tend not to go out late at night anymore . I need somewhere more comfortable to sit and read . If this is not a problem then The Dora is the place for you.
I made friends with the local ladies , next door and at the Secret Nest Taverna close by. The old shepherd is always around as he keeps a few sheep nearby.
The Dora can be noisy at night as the local youths on their motor cycles use the dirt road to ride up and down , shouting ,well into the night.!
Having visited Plakias on and off since 1975 I enjoy trying different self catering accommodation  
Try The Dora Studios - you may well like it.
Returning to Plakias June 10th this year.
Heather.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2008, 03:28:21 PM by travellingran »

Offline David & Georgina

• View Profile
DORA STUDIO
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2009, 09:28:35 PM »
Quote from: travellingran
 Good value older style budget accommodation.  Dora herself is very friendly and helpful despite running  the place single-handedly while waiting hand and foot on her husband and young son. This can lead to rooms being left a bit dusty and not cleaned for the odd day or two.
It is now becoming built around. This is a shame as this part of the village was almost empty until 8 years ago.
I was lucky to have an upper studio on both occasions so I was higher than the white wall mentioned. I had a good view - mostly inland and a large balcony.
I am an older single traveller and find the Dora a bit too sparsely furnished now as I tend not to go out late at night anymore . I need somewhere more comfortable to sit and read . If this is not a problem then The Dora is the place for you.
I made friends with the local ladies , next door and at the Secret Nest Taverna close by. The old shepherd is always around as he keeps a few sheep nearby.
The Dora can be noisy at night as the local youths on their motor cycles use the dirt road to ride up and down , shouting ,well into the night.!
Having visited Plakias on and off since 1975 I enjoy trying different self catering accommodation  
Heather.

Offline travellingran

• Sponsors
    • View Profile
    • Email
DORA STUDIO
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2009, 10:13:56 AM »
Quote from: David & Georgina
Quote from: travellingran
Heather.

I don't quite understand why this article has been posted again. Almost everything contained in this topic is now out of date. The fire that closed the secret nest , the enormous empty building towering over Dora's etc.,
Is there some point I have missed re. original post ?

Heather. (puzzled)

Offline Ploppy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hounslow Weather
    • Email
DORA STUDIO
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2009, 03:48:59 PM »
Heather,

They are new to the forum and probably had an accident with the Reply button.

I'm sure they'll get the hang of it

Offline travellingran

• Sponsors
    • View Profile
    • Email
DORA STUDIO
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2009, 04:33:21 PM »
Quote from: Ploppy
Heather,

They are new to the forum and probably had an accident with the Reply button.

I'm sure they'll get the hang of it

I did think that this maybe the reason , Ploppy. I hope so anyway!

Heather

Offline David & Georgina

• View Profile
DORA STUDIO
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2009, 10:05:18 PM »
Im very sorry but I am having difficulty navigating this forum. If I have upset anybody I apologise. Best regards David.

Offline harribobs

• Regulars
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - harribobs
    • View Profile
    • http://themanchesters.org
    • Email
DORA STUDIO
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2009, 09:43:08 AM »
Im very sorry but I am having difficulty navigating this forum. If I have upset anybody I apologise. Best regards David.

don't you worry David you'll get used to it, and you'll have to try harder than that to upset anyone!  

Offline travellingran

• Sponsors
    • View Profile
    • Email
DORA STUDIO
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2009, 10:52:04 AM »
Quote from: harribobs

don't you worry David you'll get used to it, and you'll have to try harder than that to upset anyone!  

Hi David and Georgina,

I'm also very relieved ! There I was blaming my very archaic Computer - as everyone knows it belongs in the depths of antiquity.

Enjoy Plakias and the Forum

Heather. (travellingran)