Author Topic: Back to Plakias  (Read 7893 times)

Offline Bille

• View Profile
Back to Plakias
« on: July 03, 2012, 07:26:44 PM »
Hello everybody,

I'm a new one here.  :) My first visit to Plakias was in 1994 for two days visiting Crete the first time,  following 1996, 1998, 1999 and the last time I was there in 2000. We alway came as a couple of girlfriends and after the second visit we were welcomed by handshake and the town knew us, it was not like holidays, it was in a certain way like coming home. After 2000 when we heard that Manolis had died, I couldn't go there. anymore for a while. He had become a close friend and belonged to Plakias (though I remember he was from Selia..?) and the Ostraco..
I visited lots of other nice places in Greece (Karphatos, Chalkidiki, Lesvos, Kefalonia) but Plakias is not forgotten...  :) and so I plan to visit my "home" in September. I'm so excited to see what has changed, what is still as it was, I wonder if some people do recognize me... I'm looking forward to have a relaxed week on the beach, have some wonderful greek food in the evening, drink some Frappes and of course after dinner some selfmade Raki... :-)
Can anybody tell me if the rumours are true, that there is no money any more in the bankomats (I don't know the exact english word, hope you understand me..) ??? Can't believe things like that... :-) I'm sorry for my english, schools out for longer..

Greeting
Bille

Offline draper10

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Back to Plakias
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2012, 03:40:39 PM »
Hi Bille, Just came back last week from Plakias and we had a brilliant time. It had been 25 years since we were last there. Don't know why, because we loved it the first time and loved it again this year.
We were advised before we left to take cash in small denominations, which we did and we had no problems. The cash machines all seemed to be working OK and you could pay by credit/debit card as well. We arrived 3 days before the elections, but everyone seemed much more interested in Euro 2012!
We spoke to a French lady called Christina at what used to be Manousos' studios just outside the town. She lives in Plakias and she felt that the rural areas like Plakias would be OK because people would just swap the things they grew in their gardens and return to a sort of barter economy!
Wind still a bit of a pain but the beaches are great. East end of Plakias Bay, Mikro Amoudi and east end of Souda are all still nude beaches and now provided with sun beds and umbrellas as well as donuts!
Best meals we felt were Gio Ma, Atlantis and Gorgona, but everyone has their own favourites. Peligremnos great for lunch if you're on the beach at the 'far end'.
We stayed at Anthos Studios which were really one bed apartments rather than studios. Clean, great staff, comfortable and free wi-fi. What more can a man need? Oh yes! The wife enjoyed it just as much as me - apart from the road works at Rodakino!!!!!

Offline Bille

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2012, 09:19:16 PM »
Hi Draper,
thanks a lot for your answer... :-) Really looking forward to this holiday... I don' mind if the wind is blowing... I once had sand everywhere in and on my body.. :-)) this belongs to Plakias...
I do know the beaches with sunbeds and umbrellas,  there was an older man who walked along the beach calling out what he has to offer to eat.and a young girl from The Netherlands (?) with long blond hair, who got the money for the sunbeds.. does anybody know if she is still there???
I remember a Taverne I did love best, it was on the other side of the travel agency not on the main street, but I really forgot the name... Is "The Secret Nest" still there? We loved it, too.
I'm reading with interest the older posts here, it's so good to read something about Plakias...
Nice to hear that your wife enjoyed it too. :-) When the wife is lucky, the husband is too... or am I wrong? :-)
Have a nice evening
Bille

Offline Barny

• Regulars
  • Have I seen you in Kyma?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2012, 09:21:29 AM »

You are in for a good time! The girl on the beach was named Mara, she left some time back to start a family but has been seen in PLakias so you might be lucky, she charged 1300 drx for the sun beds in those days. Cant remember what that equates to now? The only other person selling on the beach was Lefteris the donut man, was it him? The last couple of years people have been offering' massages' on the beach,so look out for that.
Have a gresat time, we will be there in August.

Barny.
Fancy a Mythos?

Offline Bille

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2012, 07:41:55 PM »
Hello Barny,

thank you for the information. Yes  :) it was 1300 Drachmes, after some years it was 1500, I think.. I don't know the Donut Man's name... ...hm, perhaps  it is Lefteris...
Today 1300 would be 3,80 €, so in times of D-Mark the half... if I calculated it correct  ;D... the greek Salad always was to have for 500.. but these times are over now. The € has made everything double as expensive as it was before here in Germany, but after all these years, I'm used to it...  ;D we'll all see what will happen to the € in Greece...
Enjoy your stay in August, have some nice days.
Greetings
Bille

Offline ShirT

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2012, 08:04:19 PM »
Five euros for a sunbed is standard now. Have a lovely holiday.

Offline Mike from Sussex

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2012, 08:30:09 PM »

I remember a Taverne I did love best, it was on the other side of the travel agency not on the main street, but I really forgot the name... Is "The Secret Nest" still there? We loved it, too.

Bille

Hi Billie,

The Secret Nest closed some years ago. I think it is now open for accommodation, but no taverna. There was certainly no taverna last time I was in Plakias (September 2010).

Kind regards,

Mike

Offline Arnaki

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2012, 10:39:19 AM »
I remember a Taverne I did love best, it was on the other side of the travel agency not on the main street, but I really forgot
Bille

Hi Bille,

I think you are thinking of the Minoiko.  It closed two years ago, and did not show any signs of reopening when we were there last year.  We enjoyed it too - very friendly with good food.

Arnaki

Offline Mike from Sussex

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2012, 07:13:44 PM »
I remember a Taverne I did love best, it was on the other side of the travel agency not on the main street, but I really forgot
Bille

Hi Bille,

I think you are thinking of the Minoiko.  It closed two years ago, and did not show any signs of reopening when we were there last year.  We enjoyed it too - very friendly with good food.

Since Billie was last in Plakias in 2000, she is talking about the Secret Nest. The Minoiko was only open for one or two seasons. I agree with your comments and remember that they had a cat which prowled round the tables and looked longingly at your plate, but never mieowed at you or pawed your legs - ace puddytat!

Mike

Arnaki

Offline daza

• Say "Hello" Theo!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2012, 11:55:44 AM »
Regarding Minoika's

Tavernas - See Articles tab -June 20, 2012, 10:03:53 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Just had 2 fab weeks in May/June 2012 - we found this place the 1st night close to Kostas-Chrysoulla and the Apollo on the side street. It was deffinately open for business and we ate there on 4 occasions - thats saying something. The Rabbit Stifado was so good one night that we returned there for our "going home" meal and I had it again and it was de-lic-ious!!! 5 star food in my short experience. Will be returning for more of the same in September!!

Offline Mike from Sussex

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2012, 02:02:57 PM »
Glad to hear the Minioko has re-opened, I can't remember anyone giving anything but praise for the food and very handy for the K&C.

Definitely worth a try for someone who has not been before.

Mike

Offline Voloudakis

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2012, 08:32:12 AM »
Sitting sadly at the Airport waiting to fly home. Minoiko was the stand out place to eat for us, the food was amazing and we hope it manages to thrive again.
We tried 10 eating places in all and found Minoiko, Medusa, Vrisi in Mirthios and Galini at Souda the most enjoyable.
Minoiko is probably not the place for fish but everything else we tried was superb or even sublime and there is always Gio-Ma, Atlantic, To Tassomanolis and others if you want great Fish.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 08:38:00 AM by Lampyland »

Offline Bille

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2012, 08:00:14 PM »
Hello Plakias friends,

only a few days to go... I'm so excited to go back. Perhaps we'll meet the one or the other regular.. To all: Have a nice time!  ;)

Bille

Offline Bille

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2012, 05:47:06 PM »
Hello Plakias friends,
I'm back after one fantastic relaxing week in Plakias. And I have to say, things haven't changed much since 2000... :-) and I love that! The first two days have been so windy (not to say stormy), that we went to Souda Beach and there it was very well.
When the wind calmed down, we went to the sunbeds nearest the nudist beach, and there is a beach bar now, with Frappe for takeaway, such luxury... and showers.. :-) we enjoyed it were much there, the water is absolutely amazing.
We stayed at Hotel Sofia and this was a good joyce. So we had a really adventure trip, with storm, earthquake, no electricity and a real great thunder and lightning storm on sunday evening, when we had dinner at Christos tavern and the gooses stood  there and wanted to get in, that was so funny..
I'll be back for sure. I wish all a lovely holiday in Plakias.
Bille

Offline nora

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2012, 09:41:55 PM »
Thanks Billie for your lovely report, I am glad you enjoyed your holiday. Nora x