login

Author Topic: Plakias sunset  (Read 5098 times)

Offline AndyL

• View Profile
    • Email
Plakias sunset
« on: May 03, 2007, 02:37:34 PM »
Just back from Plakias and thought you all might like to see what a Plakias Bay sunset can look like in April...

« Last Edit: May 13, 2007, 05:04:22 PM by AndyL »

Offline George

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Plakias sunset
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2007, 04:05:39 PM »
Nice picture AndyL., I've seen the sea very still when there but not that still.

It looks cold what were the temperatures like??

george g...

Offline Ploppy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hounslow Weather
    • Email
Plakias sunset
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2007, 05:01:47 PM »
Quote from: AndyL
Just back from Plakias and thought you all might like to see what a Plakias Bay sunset can look like in April...

Beautiful pic Andy, dramatic sky.

Welcome to the forum. So how was Plakias in April?

Offline Barny

• Regulars
  • Have I seen you in Kyma?
    • View Profile
    • Email
Plakias sunset
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2007, 08:02:11 AM »
It makes a wonderful desktop setting!  And a good conversation starter!

Barny.
Fancy a Mythos?

Offline Santa

• Regulars
    • MSN Messenger - klausmueller95@gmail.com
    • View Profile
Plakias sunset
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2007, 09:42:38 AM »
Quote from: Ploppy

I can tell you that April is a great time to be there- obviously not for the swimming, but the area is lush with greenery and the entire area is covered with flowers- very magical- as for the temperature it was between 9-10 at night and 16to 20/21 during the day- there were periods of clouds as well as an occasional shower- Not too many people, so it is rather quiet-
The harbour is progressing and for those of you who have yet to get past Ostraco- walk west and see the progress for yourself.
Santa

Offline harribobs

• Regulars
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - harribobs
    • View Profile
    • http://themanchesters.org
    • Email
Plakias sunset
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2007, 03:16:09 PM »
i really like that photo Andy!  nice work!

Offline Allan Barham

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Plakias sunset
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2007, 09:20:10 AM »
Quote from: Santa
Quote from: Ploppy

I can tell you that April is a great time to be there- obviously not for the swimming, but the area is lush with greenery and the entire area is covered with flowers- very magical- as for the temperature it was between 9-10 at night and 16to 20/21 during the day- there were periods of clouds as well as an occasional shower- Not too many people, so it is rather quiet-
The harbour is progressing and for those of you who have yet to get past Ostraco- walk west and see the progress for yourself.
Santa

Yes the far end is definitely more colourful in April:

[attachment=448:May04150.jpg]
[attachment=449:May04153.jpg]

Allan

Offline harribobs

• Regulars
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - harribobs
    • View Profile
    • http://themanchesters.org
    • Email
Plakias sunset
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2007, 03:10:17 PM »
i love that shot with the flowers in the foreground

Offline AndyL

• View Profile
    • Email
Plakias sunset
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2007, 03:33:01 PM »
Thanks to all for favourable comments on my sunset. Plakias in April: around 20c daytime, mostly sunny, much cooler at night when a jumper and jacket are needed. Strong wind got up for a couple of days. Town very quiet but most tavernas and some bars open (not Ostraco). Much hammering, drilling and painting going on as they all gear up. A very clever tractor was going up and down the beach riddling stones out of the sand and dumping them up near the harbour, leaving the sand looking nice and smooth. Prices much cheaper than my usual haunt (Antiparos) -e.g. 2.2 euros for half a kilo of local wine and dinner for two with wine rarely more than 20 euros. Walk up to Mirthios was very pleasant with little sign of last year's fire.  Main advantage of April is the wonderful wild flowers, especially if you drive around a bit (see attached pix). If you're there on April 23 and have a car, go to Asi Gonia for the blessing of the sheep. St George is patron of sheep and shepherds and they bring them down to the church where they are milked and the milk is given away with Cretan rusks to any visitors. Every cafe has a charcoal grill going for lamb souvlaki at 1 euro a stick. It's a wonderful occasion, with few tourists but many Cretans piling in from all parts with empty jugs and bottles for the free milk.  Allow an hour and a half to get there and be there for 10am.  The route is: Mirthios - Kanevos - Kali Sikea - Velonado - Roustika - Ag. Konstantinos - Argiroupolis - Asi Gonia.  Your map may not show a road between Kali Sikea and Velonado but there is one. It's all quite good apart from a really rough section beyond Zouridi, after Ag. Konstantinos.

Pix show (top to bottom): Heldreich's ophrys, Tassel hyacinth, Monkey orchid, Caper.

« Last Edit: May 13, 2007, 05:31:58 PM by AndyL »

Offline Noopsy

• Sponsors
    • View Profile
    • Email
Plakias sunset
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2007, 08:30:13 PM »
We're lucky to be blessed with so many talented photographers on this forum...    
Ελευθερία ή θάνατος