login

Author Topic: Beach Blues and Funk Plakias  (Read 2358 times)

Offline returner

• View Profile
    • Email
Beach Blues and Funk Plakias
« on: September 05, 2007, 05:26:01 PM »
Just to say that Plakias had beach grooves last week. Posters announced that it was scheduled but mysteriously ommitted where. (Aha, trying to trick Meltemi Winds from displaying one upmanship, methought)
By Saturday there was a slim and of course unquotable whisper that it would be somewhere behind Manolis Beach Bar.
In the interest solely of investigation I sipped many a beach bar cocktail that afternoon and watched as two large trucks arrived.
By night time the truck was converted to a stage and mellow funkiness was in the air, the more daring and old style Glastonbury clad clan were pounding on the sand in whirling dirvish motion whilst the local expats and natives took appropriate lounge bar safety and stance in the shelter of the beach bar. I heard that it went on till late, and that people watched the sunrise raki in hand smiling. (OK I know that you dont have to have witnessed a funk session for that result)
Hats off to Antonis who I think organised this, (once again unquotable) It satisfied young and old alike. I believe he wants to also put on a cult film, which would have been great, an open air cinema on truck wheels. When he does I am hoping that Meltemi does not get wind of it...!
Some photos for you.

Offline Ali & Dave

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Beach Blues and Funk Plakias
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2007, 09:41:29 AM »
This was a really good evening.  The band that played are called Blues Wire (www.blueswire.gr) they've been going for around 25 years.  Whilst I love Cretan music it was really good to hear some different live music.  A big thank you to Adonis (formerly Swing Bar) for organising this, money raised went to help the people affected by the fires.

Ali