login

Author Topic: Plakias-On My Own ?  (Read 6103 times)

Offline robbie

• View Profile
    • Email
Plakias-On My Own ?
« on: May 28, 2013, 09:58:12 AM »
Hi There,

I am just going through the break up of my long standing relationship-20 years or so..which is a nightmare to be honest. I am not coping very well/not sleeping or eating much either.

Now the thing is we had booked 2 weeks in Plakias in Mid June..staying at Alianthos

Not sure whether now to go on my own or not-there will be memories as we have been going since early 90's on and off-but will it be too much to go ?

But does anyone have any comments to make -whether I should go ?

Thanks for help

Offline Barny

• Regulars
  • Have I seen you in Kyma?
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Plakias-On My Own ?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2013, 03:15:31 PM »
You want to lose Plakias too? No, I suggest you still go, face the memories one last time then enjoy!
That's what I would do and I have been in that situation.

Barny (not an agony aunt)!

Fancy a Mythos?

Offline Tony and Sandra Smith

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2013, 04:30:41 PM »
I'm with Barny on this one. Go there realise there will be memories (good and bad) and face them.

Tony
Tony

With thanks to Ueuecoyotl, the Aztec God of Sex and Irresponsible Merrymaking (I've found my deity!!)

Offline spottttttt

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2013, 06:06:28 PM »
Go, I'm sure you wont regret it, if youv'e been going for that many years your bound to meet people you alredy know and I'm sure that will be a help. Have a great time!!
Regards Spottttttt

Offline Pimo

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2013, 09:07:19 PM »
Go for it !!! Back to Plakias you go !!!!

Offline robbie

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2013, 09:48:37 PM »
Thanks Guys !

Offline Cecile-Ines

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2013, 08:08:21 AM »
I was in a similar situation many years ago, but found returning to Plakias a great joy, and have visited many times since then.  It's a magical place, as you know, and you will find the spirit of the place lift you.  Have a special time there.

Offline JackieatUrbanAgenda

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2013, 02:40:49 PM »
Hi, I agree. Why lose Plakias too ?.......you can always try new places to eat and rink and make new friends. I first went to Plakias with someone who let me down very badly ...but have been going back since and never regretting it. Go and enjoy.

Offline Richard

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2013, 08:51:15 PM »
Nearly happened to me this year, because of stress caused by all sorts of things, although in the end, we went together. Went OK.

I would have gone alone, all the same, having been taken there by mistake in 1994, visited on and off since 1995 and regularly since 2002. Plakias really does feel like my old friend, however daft that sounds.

Don't want to preach, but if I were you, I would go; obviously, that is your choice.

Good luck whichever way you choose to go. Hope things work themselves out.

Richard.

Offline robbie

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2013, 10:31:40 AM »
Thanks everyone..you have all been a great help..

I'm not sure what I will do yet..but what you have said will certainly help when I make a decision (probably on the night before the flight !)

I guess its a choice between -sit round weeping in rainy London or sit round weeping in the hot sun !

Thanks

Offline Cecile-Ines

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2013, 05:11:10 PM »
Never lose Plakias!  It is the most beautiful place for all sorts of reasons.  As I said before, I was in a similar situation to you some time ago. 

There will be those you recognise and who will recognise you which will be marvellous.  However, what is as important, there will be new experiences in this most wonderful place on earth.

Take courage and move forward! Tears and smiles are closely related and we need both.

Nothing is constant except change ......

Offline jann

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2013, 08:42:48 PM »
Definitely, go ! 
4 years ago after  being widowed, I went alone...... I'm so glad I did. I've been 7 times since then , Such a friendly place. No problems being a woman alone.

I was worried as I had memories   of going as a couple but have never regretted it . Good luck

Offline George

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2013, 08:59:19 AM »
Thanks everyone..you have all been a great help..

I'm not sure what I will do yet..but what you have said will certainly help when I make a decision (probably on the night before the flight !)

I guess its a choice between -sit round weeping in rainy London or sit round weeping in the hot sun !

Thanks
Well Robbie, did you go?
I was in a similar situation, but my partner and I were fine, but she was ill so I had three years of not going to Plakias but then the stress of the situation overtook and I had to get away!
It was difficult for a few days as the memories came flooding back but once the shoulders had relaxed a bit I quite enjoyed myself and went back again for several years after that, but I got bored with my own company during those times when 'you need some one close and to be alone with' if you know what I mean, so I've been having a break for a few years looking for a suitable companion (my partner passed on BTW). I'll be back though I have some ashes to scatter! Good luck to you Robbie and I do hope your return, if you did get there was enjoyable.

george...

Offline robbie

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2013, 08:24:12 PM »
Thanks all !

Just checked back on the site today for the first time since I got back !

Yes I did go -I have been back now about 5 weeks-seems like a long time ago now though -as I have since been redundant from my long time job-so it never rains but it pours !

It turned out I had quite a nice holiday-stayed at Alianthos Beach-where the staff were very friendly and helpful.Memories were everywhere but after the initial couple of days-not too bad. Once I had got over being on my own after about 2 or 3 days I got into a good routine and even quite enjoyed the evening meals on my own !

I did Samaria Gorge and went to Argiroupolis for a couple of days-which were the highlights.

Not sure when I will be back though !

Take care
« Last Edit: August 07, 2013, 08:25:51 PM by robbie »