Author Topic: Anyone know which route across Crete the Olympic Transfer from Heraklion takes?  (Read 3989 times)

Offline Palikare

• View Profile
Just curious which route across the mountains to expect. Anyone transferred to Plakias from Heraklion with Olympic?

Offline harribobs

• Regulars
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - harribobs
    • View Profile
    • http://themanchesters.org
    • Email
It's not really a route across the mountains at all

west down the national road , a semi motorway, for an hour or so, then south on the Tymbaki road,  20 mins or so the turn for Plakias goes right (SW?) and through the gorge

Offline Mike from Sussex

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Hi Chris,

Plus, if you're lucky (!?!), a couple of hours viewing the accomodations between Bali and Rethimnon.

Mike

Offline harribobs

• Regulars
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - harribobs
    • View Profile
    • http://themanchesters.org
    • Email
ah yes,  when I used to use the coaches it was only Bali ...

Offline dreamofgreece

• View Profile
The Olympic transfer to Plakias this spring bank holiday week was made using a twin decked coach. It called at every resort along the north coast from Heraklion to Rethymnon finaly getting to Plakias 3.75 hours later.

Offline Stuart & Hilary

• View Profile
    • Email
Makes the bus journey seam a dream. Especially if you can time it with a wander round Rethimnon & some food.

Stuart

Offline mickydripping

• View Profile
my impression is that the route depends upon what bookings are arriving on that flight. Over the years I have had 4.5 hrs, stopping at every rooms between Heraklion and Plakias, been dropped in Rethynon and met by private car, sujected to incessant sales pitch by reps...but never very good. Nowadays I use Easyjet and hire car... not much more expensive and you gain more holiday time!

Offline George

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Spot on Mickey!! If I use Olympic again, I'll pick up a car at the airport and get back to Plakias in 90ish minutes.
If it's an early morning flight you can be in the resort by 3.00pm check out the room, get some stocks in the room and still have time for a walkabout and a couple of drinks before dinner.
Then watch the Olympic bus turn up!!

george...

Offline Mike G

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
The Olympic transfer time is a lottery. This year they put me in a taxi (would have cost me €110) and it took less than 90 mins. I have taken 3.25 hours though.

Their minimising on the transfer costs is one of the things that means they can offer a holiday price that going independently can't get anyhere near.

If you have a long transfer, just sit back and congratulate yourself that you aren't going to any of the grotty places you are stopping off at.

Mike

Offline Barny

• Regulars
  • Have I seen you in Kyma?
    • View Profile
    • Email
This year, booked with Monarch and Zach will be waiting!

Barny.
Fancy a Mythos?