Author Topic: New to Plakias  (Read 7027 times)

Offline john&debbie

• View Profile
    • Email
New to Plakias
« on: April 09, 2009, 04:28:47 PM »
Hi, we are going to plakias in july this year and we would be grateful for any information that will make our holiday more enjoyable. We are srtaying at the Santa Maria apartments with olympic (R.I.P Kosmar).Last year we stayed at Bali on the north of the island, any comparisons?. Over the coming months we will be picking your brains for the best bars, restaurants etc.
Cheers
John & Debbie

Offline George

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
New to Plakias
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2009, 04:42:15 PM »
Quote from: john&debbie
Hi, we are going to plakias in july this year and we would be grateful for any information that will make our holiday more enjoyable. We are srtaying at the Santa Maria apartments with olympic (R.I.P Kosmar).Last year we stayed at Bali on the north of the island, any comparisons?. Over the coming months we will be picking your brains for the best bars, restaurants etc.
Cheers
John & Debbie
Good choice guys, the Santa Maria is a nice place and only about 5 mins slow stroll into the village and easy access to the beach.
Plakias is Flat in comparison to Bali and probably a lot smaller so it's easier to get around, even going for a walk outside the village won't be a strain.
Check out the Article System and the Plakias Map at the top of the page for bars, restaurants etc. any anything else you want to know just ask, one of us will be awake  

george...
« Last Edit: April 09, 2009, 04:44:09 PM by George »

Offline Ploppy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hounslow Weather
    • Email
New to Plakias
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2009, 08:47:47 PM »
Welcome John & Debbie

Can't compare to Bali as I have only been through there at night on the Transfer to Plakias.
But let us know if we can help.

Here is a direct link to the Santa Maria on the Plakais Map:

Mappy Link

Cheers,

Paul
« Last Edit: April 09, 2009, 08:48:20 PM by Ploppy »

Offline Mike G

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
New to Plakias
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2009, 01:57:51 PM »
Hello John and Debbie,

Hope by now you will have seen what I wrote about Santa Maria last year. I would recommend it. If you want to know more please send me a personal message (when it is back up and running). I have only seen Bali on the transfer to Plakias. It looks OK but not as good as Plakias.

Expect to need the air con in July!!

Mike

ps. nice to see you back after a long gap George, complete with a new photo. Just a wild guess- going to Plakias this year?

Offline George

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
New to Plakias
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2009, 02:05:00 PM »
Quote from: Mike G
Hello John and Debbie,

Hope by now you will have seen what I wrote about Santa Maria last year. I would recommend it. If you want to know more please send me a personal message (when it is back up and running). I have only seen Bali on the transfer to Plakias. It looks OK but not as good as Plakias.

Expect to need the air con in July!!

Mike

ps. nice to see you back after a long gap George, complete with a new photo. Just a wild guess- going to Plakias this year?
Thanks Mike, I'll PM you!!

george...

Offline john&debbie

• View Profile
    • Email
New to Plakias
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2009, 04:54:14 PM »
Thanks for the info. Here's our 1st question. What's all this about a gale force wind that blows, i don't mind as i don't like it too hot. 2nd question, What sort of people go to Plakias, is it mainly brits or is it a mixture. We are getting on a bit (50) and we like it not too quiet, but definitely not rowdy, have we made the right choice?.
Cheers John & Debbie

Offline George

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
New to Plakias
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2009, 05:09:32 PM »
Thanks for the info. Here's our 1st question. What's all this about a gale force wind that blows, i don't mind as i don't like it too hot. 2nd question, What sort of people go to Plakias, is it mainly brits or is it a mixture. We are getting on a bit (50) and we like it not too quiet, but definitely not rowdy, have we made the right choice?.
Cheers John & Debbie
Hi J&D

Basically yes, you have made the right choice.
1. It's not rowdy anywhere other than two bars at the far end of the village, the Ostraco and I can't remember the other which is next door to it.
2. There's always a breeze well almost always, I have known it to stop and then it gets silly 'Hot'. But it can also get extreemly gale force and if your on the beach you will get sandblasted. On days like that get out of town and go to the other side of the island (25 miles).
3. People. Lots of brits but also German Italian and French and whatever eastern european is in favour for that particular year. The polish took the place over a couple of years ago!
There are also a variety of ages, I'd hazard a guess mid twenties (at the campsite) then all the way up to the real oldies (aka SAGA louts   hi guys!!)

Hope all that helps!!

george g...

Offline John R

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fluteweb.net
    • Email
New to Plakias
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2009, 06:04:40 PM »
Quote from: George
then all the way up to the real oldies (aka SAGA louts   hi guys!!)

Hi !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm a founder member Saga Lout - for reassurance to all - not a lout and NOT very old.

John R

Offline Chas

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
New to Plakias
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2009, 06:17:46 PM »
Quote from: George
.... 1. It's not rowdy anywhere other than two bars at the far end of the village, the Ostraco and I can't remember the other which is next door to it. ...
That's the Smyna - worth a visit, just to meet Lefteris.  George also forgot about the night club - shows how much of a disturbance it causes

The Czech and Slovak republics have noticeable numbers, too, and some sign-translations.  The membership of this forum is a good indication: French, Belgian, Dutch, Norwegian, .............etcetera

We are NOT Saga Louts but do fall in the same age group and reckon Plakias is a great place to be .... even when the wind gets a bit vigorous! (I've seen it heft an ashtray across two tables.)  Look on the breeze as natural air-con.
Chas

Stupidity is its own reward.

Offline Kerstin

• Regulars
    • View Profile
New to Plakias
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2009, 06:22:42 PM »
Cheers John & Debbie

I believe, you made the right choice.
In our view we love the mixture of many nations. It is very interesting to meet people from other countries.
We enjoy the quietness of the beach, we like visiting the tavernas and the special feeling in the evening
when we enjoy a Metaxa from Denis in the Livicon.

Kerstin and Peter

Offline Graham_and_Karen

• Regulars
    • Facebook
    • Google+
    • View Profile
    • Email
New to Plakias
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2009, 06:37:12 PM »
A browse through some of the topics will give you an idea of the place. Things we like are: one end of the beach is 'clothing optional', superb walking all around - tracks leading everywhere and anywhere, very relaxing. Worth looking at the Article System to read some opinions of the restaurants - all are of reasonable quality, I would say, and some do very reasonable set menus for 2 - even with the pound being weak. Have a great time.

Offline George

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
New to Plakias
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2009, 08:34:40 AM »
''I've yet to meet or hear off anyone who did'nt like Plakias, so enjoy your vist, wind or no wind ''

We arranged to meet some friends in Plakias one year, it was their first visit, but my other half got sick so we had to cancel the holiday. They however decided to go anyway and when we met up when they got back, they said that the place was 'OK' but didn't like the fact that it is a bit 'remote'. (They don't drive and they're not walkers/hikers!).

If that's not a good enough reason to like Plakias even more, I don't know what is!
I can't remember hearing any other criticisms... EVER!!

george...

Offline Noopsy

• Sponsors
    • View Profile
    • Email
New to Plakias
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2009, 12:39:17 PM »
Quote from: Mike G
nice to see you back after a long gap George, complete with a new photo.
Yes, the 'photo looks suspiciously familiar... :-
But it was a very enjoyable evening, wasn't it?  

Noopsy
Ελευθερία ή θάνατος

Offline George

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
New to Plakias
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2009, 01:03:08 PM »
Yes, the 'photo looks suspiciously familiar... :-
But it was a very enjoyable evening, wasn't it?  

Noopsy
[/quote]
A definate improvement on the other one!!  

Yes it was and hopefully we'll do it again Noopsy!

george...

Offline Shaz

• View Profile
    • Email
New to Plakias
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2009, 11:10:13 AM »
Hi John & Debbie

We went to Plakias last year for the first time, we are mid 40's and took our son who was then 8.  We all loved it.  From the first moment we stepped out of our transfer taxi, I felt a sense of calm about the place... it was around 1am though, so that might have had something to do with it... we still managed to find somewhere to eat and the meal was delicious.  In fact we didn't have a bad meal anywhere we ate, very good standard of food and home cooked chips!!

We went for three weeks and the wind started two or three days into our holiday.... we had about five or six days of really strong winds, (calms down at night) which the first few days was a welcome break from the heat, however we decided to travel to the north / east (Malia and Spingalonga Island) and spent a couple of days over there, only to come back to the wind being even stronger... we stayed by the pool which was relatively sheltered, there was only one day when the umberellas were blown down.  So all in all I wouldn't worry too much about the wind.  It doesn't really stop you from doing anything apart from going to the beach.  

Age and nationality is very mixed and diverse, with no trouble during our stay.  It seems to be a very safe and friendly resort.

We are going again this year for three weeks during August, so it didn't put us off!

We had a brilliant time and I am sure you will too.

Sharon