login

Author Topic: Gorgona  (Read 6319 times)

Offline Richard

• View Profile
    • Email
Gorgona
« on: May 26, 2013, 04:06:32 PM »
Went to Gorgona a couple of nights ago, after not doing so for a couple of years, for no particular reason; just sort of 'forgot' about it.

Great evening, loads of regulars there as far as I could make out, friendly greeting and lovely meal. Same chap running it as I seem to remember from well over 10 years ago (although do the Tavernas swap owners?).

Offline Richard

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Gorgona
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2013, 08:59:17 PM »
Back again this week and Gorgona still satisfies... Same relaxed atmosphere and very good food.

Richard

Offline Plakias Lover

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2013, 08:45:10 AM »
Gorgona is always one of our favourites, we eat there at least twice during our stays and meals have always been good.

Staff are superb andhave become good friends over the years.

Will be there next week - can't wait!!

Yamass

Offline Bertie

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2013, 02:22:05 PM »
Me too. I eat there probably every other night when I stay in Plakias.
I like to see what's on offer in the window and invariably choose something from there.
Babas and Giorgos are always excellent hosts and great fun.
I too will be there next week.

Offline JackieatUrbanAgenda

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2013, 10:56:05 AM »
Spent many happy evenings in the Gorgona over the last two weeks so many thanks to Babis, Irene and Georges. Great food, great company and great fun.

Offline thetravelor

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2013, 04:37:05 PM »
I will remember it for when I'm going to plakias

Offline Graham_and_Karen

• Regulars
    • Facebook
    • Google+
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2014, 08:36:13 PM »
Summary of our meals so far:
Gorgona - very good and quite cheap.
Harakas - very good. Try the Mushrooms a la creme with rice!
Tasomanolis - very good for fish.
Mouses - very good - tasty Cretan Pork
Sofia - friendly staff and (too) large starter portions. Food was quite salty.

Offline Richard

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2014, 08:17:21 PM »
Agree with all of the above; perhaps the comment re size of helping is interestingly.

By trying to be hospitable, I think that some places can spoil a meal, for me at least. I have a good appetite, but being faced with mountains of food really puts me off! I know that others on this forum disagree.

That said, much better than the opposite, I suppose, and I haven't ever found that tavernas try and skimp on main courses by laying out large but filling first courses. Plakias remains a remarkable, genuinely hospitable, place, to my mind.

Offline Graham_and_Karen

• Regulars
    • Facebook
    • Google+
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2014, 07:41:55 PM »
I forgot to include Medousa - I just love the Spicy Pork. We thought the redecoration was well done. We like rustic tavernas with an authentic feel most of the time but it's nice to ring the changes, now and again.

We tried pizzas at Kri Kri as they boasted a wood fire. We weren't disappointed, and Karen was pleased that they offered small pizzas - a good size if you're having a starter and don't have a big appetite.

Later in the holiday, we went back to Mouses and Harakas. Tried different dishes and again, couldn't fault the food or service.

Offline Mike G

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2014, 02:38:56 PM »
I think most people agree that the general standard of food is very good in Plakias tavernas, the portions are large, and the prices reasonable. In fact, bearing in mind how much more expensive food in the supermarkets is than in the UK, I don't know how they do it for the price.

Mike

Offline Graham_and_Karen

• Regulars
    • Facebook
    • Google+
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2014, 08:04:03 PM »
Quite agree Mike. It seemed to us that taverna prices hadn't gone up much since our last visit in 2009.

Offline JackieatUrbanAgenda

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2014, 12:35:14 PM »
If anything we felt that prices had either stayed the same or gone down.....with a few minor exceptions and even then the price rise was limited ! Just adds to the value for money as far as we are concerned !

Offline Richard

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2014, 05:11:58 PM »
When Greece adopted the Euro I felt that the prices were hiked-up quite a bit, but since then, agree with other comments, very good value.

I sometimes forget that with fish and seafood, as well as the generally superb quality, it is caught locally the same day in many (most?) cases. I really like this, it adds to the holiday.