Author Topic: Disabled facilities  (Read 4718 times)

Offline John & Zell

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Disabled facilities
« on: July 21, 2005, 10:56:46 AM »
 Most people would not apreciate the fact that facilities for the disabled in Crete are NON-EXISTANT but although I am in a wheelchair perminantly the majoraty of the time I have not found it to much of a problem with locals only too willing to help   (which is more than can be said back in England)and whilst some places DO have a ramp it's not exactly the standard 1 in 12 but yet again I've never found it a problem. The point I'm getting to is that in my particular case my condition is one of continualy worsening and therfore after 12 years at the LAMON we informed MAGGY that due to problems in the bathroom we would not be returning, this caused great shock to her and once I had explained her reply was when we get home to let her know what was required. so sure enough I sent her details of disabled bathrooms and left it at that only to get an Email just before Christmas to say that the bathroom had been done and she was looking forward to seeing us once again. So when we arrived in Plakias at the end of June the first thing my wife did was to go straight to the room, within minutes she came back out to tell me I had to come and have a look, well the sight that greeted me took my breadth away, rased toilet, pull-down side rail, grab rail and to top it all a new basin with a cut-away front for wheelchair access, in fact it's better than my own bathroom back home, and as for the next morning, well I w'ont go into that.
I may be wrong and stand to be corrected but I believe that this is the only place in Plakias with such facilities and I would like to take this opportunity of publicly thanking Maggy for giving me the chance to continue returning to our beloved Plakias (in fact we have already booked for June 27th 2006) so if there is anyone out there with similar problems do give Maggy a ring.
John & Zell

Offline Graham_and_Karen

• Regulars
    • Facebook
    • Google+
    • View Profile
    • Email
Disabled facilities
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2005, 12:10:30 PM »
So pleasing to hear of a place that listens to your needs and acts on them. Worth adding a comment about the disabled facilities on the Accommodation entry in FAQ.

Offline beachcombers

• Regulars
    • View Profile
Disabled facilities
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2005, 12:40:17 PM »
Most people would not apreciate the fact that facilities for the disabled in Crete are NON-EXISTANT but although I am in a wheelchair perminantly the majoraty of the time I have not found it to much of a problem with locals only too willing to help   (which is more than can be said back in England)and whilst some places DO have a ramp it's not exactly the standard 1 in 12 but yet again I've never found it a problem. The point I'm getting to is that in my particular case my condition is one of continualy worsening and therfore after 12 years at the LAMON we informed MAGGY that due to problems in the bathroom we would not be returning, this caused great shock to her and once I had explained her reply was when we get home to let her know what was required. so sure enough I sent her details of disabled bathrooms and left it at that only to get an Email just before Christmas to say that the bathroom had been done and she was looking forward to seeing us once again. So when we arrived in Plakias at the end of June the first thing my wife did was to go straight to the room, within minutes she came back out to tell me I had to come and have a look, well the sight that greeted me took my breadth away, rased toilet, pull-down side rail, grab rail and to top it all a new basin with a cut-away front for wheelchair access, in fact it's better than my own bathroom back home, and as for the next morning, well I w'ont go into that.
I may be wrong and stand to be corrected but I believe that this is the only place in Plakias with such facilities and I would like to take this opportunity of publicly thanking Maggy for giving me the chance to continue returning to our beloved Plakias (in fact we have already booked for June 27th 2006) so if there is anyone out there with similar problems do give Maggy a ring.
John & Zell
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=3848\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

John @ Zell

John & Zell
Enter your info in FAQ / Reviews - Accomodations!
I will surely spread out this good news to others with similar problems.
Perhaps you can give some more info on accessiblity of the various tavernas etc. which you have (tried to) visite(d). This will be valuable info for people with walking problems.
Maggy is up for the best Cretian hostess!!
Regards
Beachcombers

Offline Susan K

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Disabled facilities
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2005, 01:29:16 PM »
What a heart warming story. Well done to Maggy    

Susan

Offline George

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Disabled facilities
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2005, 01:47:15 PM »
What a heart warming story. Well done to Maggy  

Susan

Totally seconded and best wishes to J and Z.
One restuarant with a ramp I have noticed is the Lysseous, it's a bit steep but it is accessable.

Definately info for the FAQ file!! People will want to know this information.

george g...
« Last Edit: July 21, 2005, 01:48:57 PM by George »

Offline harribobs

• Regulars
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - harribobs
    • View Profile
    • http://themanchesters.org
    • Email
Disabled facilities
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2005, 03:04:24 PM »
great advert for the lamon!!

One restuarant with a ramp I have noticed is the Lysseous, it's a bit steep but it is accessable.

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=3854\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

and I've seen the waiters at lysseous helping a disabled lady down the ramp several times (well done to them as well)

Offline Ploppy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hounslow Weather
    • Email
Disabled facilities
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2005, 12:26:01 PM »
How wonderful, well done Maggy   . So glad you can continue to enjoy Plakias John.

Offline Greecemad

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Disabled facilities
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2005, 09:15:16 PM »
One restuarant with a ramp I have noticed is the Lysseos[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=3854\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I noticed this ramp, but is it useable? It looked to be about 45 degrees to me!

Offline Cecile

• View Profile
    • Email
Disabled facilities
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2005, 09:52:37 PM »
One restuarant with a ramp I have noticed is the Lysseos[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=3854\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=3873\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Well done to Maggy and great to know that you and Zell can continue to enjoy the delights of Plakias.

Cecile

Offline harribobs

• Regulars
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - harribobs
    • View Profile
    • http://themanchesters.org
    • Email
Disabled facilities
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2005, 01:06:23 PM »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=3873\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

yes it is

and I've seen the waiters at lysseous helping a disabled lady down the ramp several times (well done to them as well)