login

Author Topic: A not so worrying development  (Read 36141 times)

Offline Susan K

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
A not so worrying development
« Reply #75 on: May 08, 2008, 02:47:43 PM »
Thank you so much Santa for reporting back and taking the time and trouble to check it out.

I am not so worried about the far end but as our balcony will be facing the development it won't be very peaceful. I really don't want want to wake up to noise from a construction site and have to sit on the balcony in full view of it. Hardly my idea of a relaxing holiday  

I love staying at the Paligremnos but I am seriously considering changing accommodation so if anyone can shed any further light in terms of how it might impact on us it would be greatly appreciated. Maybe anyone staying there could let us know.

Thanks in advance

Susan

Offline Santa

• Regulars
    • MSN Messenger - klausmueller95@gmail.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 08, 2008, 03:05:23 PM »
Quote from: Susan K
Thank you so much Santa for reporting back and taking the time and trouble to check it out.

I am not so worried about the far end but as our balcony will be facing the development it won't be very peaceful. I really don't want want to wake up to noise from a construction site and have to sit on the balcony in full view of it. Hardly my idea of a relaxing holiday  

I love staying at the Paligremnos but I am seriously considering changing accommodation so if anyone can shed any further light in terms of how it might impact on us it would be greatly appreciated. Maybe anyone staying there could let us know.

Thanks in advance

Susan

Dear Susan-
Sorry- did not understand your requirements. Be warned that there are only 2 ways the trucks can get to the site- From town on the road next to the beach or from the road just east of the property. You will have that traffic . I will say this- once they get into full swing and start the concrete pouring, there will be conc. trucks coming to the site.how fequently is anyones guess.   So, if this will disturb your holiday, I suggest you look for other accomodations- Sorry-
Santa

Offline Susan K

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #77 on: May 08, 2008, 04:42:31 PM »
Thanks Santa

I really don't know what to do for the best  

Offline Barny

• Regulars
  • Have I seen you in Kyma?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #78 on: May 09, 2008, 03:59:12 PM »
I just "Googled" Plakias and top of the list is the new resort website!
How does that work? how do you get the first list?
Is it August yet?

Barny.
Fancy a Mythos?

Offline Greecemad

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #79 on: May 09, 2008, 09:11:52 PM »
Quote from: Barny
I just "Googled" Plakias and top of the list is the new resort website!
How does that work? how do you get the first list?
Is it August yet?

Barny.

Barny,

It's a sponsored link. That means they pay Google to put it there.

Greecemad

Offline Barny

• Regulars
  • Have I seen you in Kyma?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #80 on: May 09, 2008, 09:15:15 PM »
I see now, thanks for that.

Barny.
Fancy a Mythos?

Offline dimitri

• Regulars
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 13, 2008, 06:53:45 PM »
Quote from: harribobs
interesting post by mr Al-Jaizani, but i think he confirms everything we have thought about the development, we are looking at another hapimag....

I'm note his comment that the 'locals population' are ' very exited ' although i'm sure this is a typo, exiting is what a great deal of people will be doing. the thought of the summer population doubling in plakias is disturbing and will drive away a lot of people. if most of this new influx are eating and drinking within the complex, i can't see that going down too well either but......

on a personal note Mr Al-Jaizani, you have saved me writing a letter or visiting your offices in Sale,  i would like to know why you thought you could use one of my photographs in your little slideshow of plakias without my permission??

chris harrison
From my time living with the locals in Mithios and asomatas,they wont be getting excited by this,they hate the thought of anyone but them making money,an outsider even worse than someone from another village in their eyes.They are a very hard and tight knit people who dont like or trust most outsiders,they are only nice to tourists as long as you are spending money with them. The consensus amongst the majority is that we are there to be fleeced every year. Trust me im a Kriti boy.
Dimitri

Offline Ali & Dave

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #82 on: May 13, 2008, 07:30:30 PM »
Dimitri

I am staggered at your comments.  Having lived here with a business for over 5 years now, I think you must have been mixing with the wrong people.

We have locals who shop with us although many will shop with people either from their own family or own village.  But there is little hostility towards us.

Yes, there are some people who do not like outsiders but you will get this in any country, town, village in the world.

As for the attitude towards visitors (tourists) I again think you were mixing with the wrong people.  The locals may not look forward to other Greeks visiting due to their attutide but there are many regulars who come each year who the locals look forward to seeing.  I have never come across the attitude of 'lets fleece' the tourists and if this was the case they would be charging the same prices as they do in Rethymno and other places on the north coast.  One of the property owners out here once said he preferred the summer because he has different people to talk to.

I think to put a post on this web site which is read by many people who have friends out here and are thinking of coming here for the first time is ignorant and hurtful

Offline steven

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://members.ziggo.nl/steefbez/
    • Email
« Reply #83 on: May 13, 2008, 08:48:28 PM »
Quote from: Ali & Dave
Dimitri

I am staggered at your comments.  Having lived here with a business for over 5 years now, I think you must have been mixing with the wrong people.

We have locals who shop with us although many will shop with people either from their own family or own village.  But there is little hostility towards us.

Yes, there are some people who do not like outsiders but you will get this in any country, town, village in the world.

As for the attitude towards visitors (tourists) I again think you were mixing with the wrong people.  The locals may not look forward to other Greeks visiting due to their attutide but there are many regulars who come each year who the locals look forward to seeing.  I have never come across the attitude of 'lets fleece' the tourists and if this was the case they would be charging the same prices as they do in Rethymno and other places on the north coast.  One of the property owners out here once said he preferred the summer because he has different people to talk to.

I think to put a post on this web site which is read by many people who have friends out here and are thinking of coming here for the first time is ignorant and hurtful

Thenks Ali,

This has always been a nice Forum and lets keep it that way, I think the best way to handle these posts is to ignore them.
The guy hasn't been in Plakias for a long time or maybe never(see his other post when writing about the Meltemi).
He propably a 13yr old kid with nothing else to do.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2008, 08:49:26 PM by steven »
No trees were killed in the posting of this message but a large number of electrons became terribly excited.

Offline harribobs

• Regulars
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - harribobs
    • View Profile
    • http://themanchesters.org
    • Email
« Reply #84 on: May 13, 2008, 11:30:50 PM »
Quote from: dimitri
The consensus amongst the majority is that we are there to be fleeced every year. Trust me im a Kriti boy.
Dimitri

sorry Dimitri

most of us on the forum have been going to plakias and south crete for a long time, we have many cretan friends there

of course we may be misunderstanding you, if by fleecing you mean we have to stay up to the early hours of the morning drinking our friends raki and wine or sharing in their celebrations and food,  and then being told we have nothing to pay, maybe we have been fleeced....

it's a cretan trick to make us come back......  

Offline Tony and Sandra Smith

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #85 on: May 14, 2008, 01:05:12 AM »
[attachment=585:troll_web.jpg]
Tony

With thanks to Ueuecoyotl, the Aztec God of Sex and Irresponsible Merrymaking (I've found my deity!!)

Offline Ali & Dave

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #86 on: May 15, 2008, 05:08:31 PM »

Thanks in advance

Susan

Susan,

I've tried to suss out when I've been walking in whether you would see the actual building work (buildings not pool) from Paligremnos.  I think probably not but on days when cement is being delivered you may be disturbed as the entrance to the site in close to the beach road.  It's a tricky one but knowing how you can sleep anywhere   you probably won't be too disturbed.

Ali

Offline Susan K

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #87 on: May 17, 2008, 09:25:08 AM »
Susan,

I've tried to suss out when I've been walking in whether you would see the actual building work (buildings not pool) from Paligremnos.  I think probably not but on days when cement is being delivered you may be disturbed as the entrance to the site in close to the beach road.  It's a tricky one but knowing how you can sleep anywhere   you probably won't be too disturbed.

Ali
[/quote]

Moi? You must be thinking of someone else Ali, I have great difficulty sleeping  

Offline Mike G

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #88 on: May 21, 2008, 02:12:18 PM »

Thanks in advance

Susan
Hello Susan,

I've just returned. All the activity on the site is at the Paligremnos end and some days it is more than others. I would have thought never particularly noisy but they probably start quite early. Access is either by the road alongside Paligremnos or the next one towards town.

Mike

Offline Susan K

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #89 on: May 22, 2008, 01:29:52 PM »
Mike

Thank you for your comments and I hope you had a great time  

At the moment I think I will continue with my plan to stay at the Paligremnos, however, as I don't go until September I may ask others nearer the time to check out the situation for me as it could change.

Susan

PS Loved your posting for 2008 on the other page!