login

Author Topic: Nudist beaches  (Read 47245 times)

Offline roger

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Nudist beaches
« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2005, 02:49:53 PM »
In my experience - which goes back to 1988- Sudha beach has become less and less naturist friendly over the years as it has become more accessible and therefore popular = and obviously the tarmacing of the road was a big factor in this but not the only one .When I was last there , in 2003 , when I arrived there were about 4 people nude but two of them fairly soon afterwards , the remaining two were a little way from me , and costumed people settled between us as the beach got busier in the afternoon and I was not comfortable about being surrounded by clothed sunbathers .I also remember when the west end of the main beach at damnoni was naturist but of ocurse hapimag killed that off .But now Mikra Amoudhi is more accessible - with a road round the cliff so you do not have to choose between a very long walk round the hill or a scramble down the cliff face - it still remains overwhelmingly naturist and is very popular  so sorry far-enders , that will remain my first choice beach
 roger

Offline joe

• View Profile
    • Email
Nudist beaches
« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2005, 03:03:55 PM »
You are so lucky now because already at Plakias.

not so lucky     i flew home from Plakias yesterday as well

you will like the Paligremnos, i'm sure ( and they are having live music on thursday nights as well)
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=3459\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I think you will come back soon to Plakias.
After my 2 weeks I will send you some warm words about Plakias I hope.
Only 23 days and I will fly and enjoy the sunshine and beach.....
Thanks your info about Paligremnos.

Offline Noopsy

• Sponsors
    • View Profile
    • Email
Nudist beaches
« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2005, 01:59:19 PM »
Mikra Amoudhi is more accessible - with a road round the cliff so you do not have to choose between a very long walk round the hill or a scramble down the cliff face - it still remains overwhelmingly naturist and is very popular  so sorry far-enders , that will remain my first choice beach
 roger
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=3502\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Exactly how do you get to the beaches at Mikro Amoudi by walking from Damnoni (i.e. where the "train" drops you off).     (Sorry if it's a daft question but I haven't been to that part of the island at all.)

Noopsy
Ελευθερία ή θάνατος

Offline Allan Barham

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Nudist beaches
« Reply #33 on: June 16, 2005, 02:42:56 PM »
Exactly how do you get to the beaches at Mikro Amoudi by walking from Damnoni (i.e. where the "train" drops you off).     (Sorry if it's a daft question but I haven't been to that part of the island at all.)

Noopsy
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=3540\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Walk to the sea front - possibly pausing for a drink at the taverna.  Turn left and keep walking with the sea on your right hand side.  As you walk around the headland you will see the beach below you.  You quite literally can't miss it.

Allan

Offline shinaria

• Regulars
    • AOL Instant Messenger - shinaria@aol.com
    • View Profile
    • http://www.reuters-design.de
    • Email
Nudist beaches
« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2005, 02:49:13 PM »
Just follow the [bare-] footprints!

shinaria

Offline harribobs

• Regulars
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - harribobs
    • View Profile
    • http://themanchesters.org
    • Email
Nudist beaches
« Reply #35 on: June 16, 2005, 02:50:15 PM »

Noopsy

You can walk from Plakias if you want (start from behind Plakias bay hotel)

but if you don't fancy that, walk east along the road by Damnoni beach (away from Hapimag) there's an incline at the end, turn right at the T junction and you'll find the first cove (the larger one) around the corner, the second is another 100 yards or so further on

like the photograph of it as there seem to be no ranks of umbrellas.

they are there, but they are the straw/bamboo rather than the canvas type

Offline Karen T

• View Profile
    • Email
Nudist beaches
« Reply #36 on: June 21, 2005, 01:05:28 PM »

Noopsy

We usually take the car down to Damnoni and if we're early enough and the sunbed men haven't got there first, we park in one of the "garages" under the Minoan Prince hotel (the unfinished one backing Damnoni beach). It keeps the car a bit cooler and it's closer to Mikro Ammoudi. Then as others have said, walk with the sea on your right, to the point in the road where it bends off to the left. Here follow the path around the headland and it's the first beach you come to. As someone has already said, you literally can't miss it! The path beyond this beach widens (enough for cars to reach from the east) and continues on to the larger Ammoudi beach. Personally I haven't seen much nude bathing on Ammoudi although perhaps that's just the days I've been there. You can also walk on further around the headland finally reaching Skinaria beach although it is rather a long way and the route across the rocks is hazardous as there are some very sharp edges to the rocky landscap there. Much better to take the car to Skinaria although again I'm not sure how many bathe nude there (it was deserted on every occasion we've been there!). If taking the car to Skinaria though be very careful as the tarmacked road peters out and becomes rough track and there is (or was unless they've smoothed it out) an extremely steep bit past the Libyan Star hotel, which is a bit hairy to say the least. However, things may have changed as it is some years since we were down that way!

Anyone been down to Skinaria recently?

Karen

Offline roger

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Nudist beaches
« Reply #37 on: June 21, 2005, 01:20:03 PM »
Exactly how do you get to the beaches at Mikro Amoudi by walking from Damnoni (i.e. where the "train" drops you off).     (Sorry if it's a daft question but I haven't been to that part of the island at all.)

Noopsy

We usually take the car down to Damnoni and if we're early enough and the sunbed men haven't got there first, we park in one of the "garages" under the Minoan Prince hotel (the unfinished one backing Damnoni beach). It keeps the car a bit cooler and it's closer to Mikro Ammoudi. Then as others have said, walk with the sea on your right, to the point in the road where it bends off to the left. Here follow the path around the headland and it's the first beach you come to. As someone has already said, you literally can't miss it! The path beyond this beach widens (enough for cars to reach from the east) and continues on to the larger Ammoudi beach. Personally I haven't seen much nude bathing on Ammoudi although perhaps that's just the days I've been there. You can also walk on further around the headland finally reaching Skinaria beach although it is rather a long way and the route across the rocks is hazardous as there are some very sharp edges to the rocky landscap there. Much better to take the car to Skinaria although again I'm not sure how many bathe nude there (it was deserted on every occasion we've been there!). If taking the car to Skinaria though be very careful as the tarmacked road peters out and becomes rough track and there is (or was unless they've smoothed it out) an extremely steep bit past the Libyan Star hotel, which is a bit hairy to say the least. However, things may have changed as it is some years since we were down that way!

Anyone been down to Skinaria recently?

Karen
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=3573\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Karen
i understand that the car would be cooler if kept in a garage but you would surely be cooler if you drove round the headland and parked by the beach itself -and there is usually plenty of room to park espin the morning
And what is your recent experience of sudha beach ? mine - and i am usually there in august - is very little if any nude sunbathing nowadays
Have you been to plakias this year and if not when are you going ? We have nine weeks to go - 23 august
roger

Offline Karen T

• View Profile
    • Email
Nudist beaches
« Reply #38 on: June 21, 2005, 03:56:45 PM »
Hi Roger

We've not been to Plakias for a couple of years but when we were there, Souda didn't look like it was used much by nudists although we went nude ourselves.  As someone else has already said, Souda has become much more accessible now that the road is better and there are the tavernas there.  When we first used to go to Plakias, 15+ years ago,  there was nothing at all and the road was a hot, dusty track.  We were normally the only ones on the beach having usually been rambling up the tracks below and around Selia.

Karen

Offline harribobs

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Nudist beaches
« Reply #39 on: June 22, 2005, 09:41:13 AM »
we park in one of the "garages" under the Minoan Prince hotel (the unfinished one backing Damnoni beach).

you won't be parking there again, the minoan prince has been bulldozed for an expansion of the Hapimag time shares

If taking the car to Skinaria though be very careful as the tarmacked road peters out and becomes rough track

the road is tarmac all the way down to the beach now

Souda and Skinaria seem to be more textile these days, last month i saw no nudists on either

Offline Graham_and_Karen

• Regulars
    • Facebook
    • Google+
    • View Profile
    • Email
Nudist beaches
« Reply #40 on: June 22, 2005, 12:23:25 PM »
Souda and Skinaria seem to be more textile these days, last month i saw no nudists on either
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=3581\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Such a shame that the trend seems to be for beaches to go totally textile. What we need are more beaches that accept a mix of nude and textile sunbathing. If a beach is not crowded, I find somewhere quiet and strip off anyway - sometimes others will take the cue and do likewise.

Offline Ali & Dave

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Nudist beaches
« Reply #41 on: June 22, 2005, 01:42:17 PM »
The near end of Souda tends to be fairly nudist including Haris who does the sunbeds (when he's not collecting the money!!) but as Souda is used a lot by the Greeks especially at weekends they tend to get upset.

Some slightly worrying news, is that there is a beach bar being built at the far end of Plakias beach.  No one seems to know who is building it or whether the bar staff will be nude?

Offline Graham_and_Karen

• Regulars
    • Facebook
    • Google+
    • View Profile
    • Email
Nudist beaches
« Reply #42 on: June 22, 2005, 02:50:17 PM »
... but as Souda is used a lot by the Greeks especially at weekends they tend to get upset.

Good point - it's important to be be aware of who's around you. I wouldn't want to upset anyone and especially not the locals. If it's quiet, Souda is big enough to acommodate both.

Offline harribobs

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Nudist beaches
« Reply #43 on: June 22, 2005, 03:11:42 PM »
Some slightly worrying news, is that there is a beach bar being built at the far end of Plakias beach. No one seems to know who is building it or whether the bar staff will be nude?

one thing is for certain that the staff WON'T be nude!  

actually IIRC the 'new' beach bar is not encroaching on the far end and is between the slightly older 'new' beach bar and the town, i wouldn't mind someone confirming this though

Offline roger

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Nudist beaches
« Reply #44 on: June 22, 2005, 03:31:34 PM »
My experience of sudha beach is similar to that of both Karens rather than Ali and Dave -ie hardly anyone now goes nude - though that may be because I go in august and it might be different in low season . I am a little uneasy both about the idea of a mix of nude and textile bathers sharing beaches  and abot being the first to strip off as others might follow suit = or rather no suit ! Some people esp if they have children simply prefer not to have nudists around andthat is as much their right as ours to go nude where no offence is caused . Even if a beach s quiet in the morning it can soon fill up by mid afternoon and i for one am not comfortable if surrounded by textiles . to me the attraction of mikro amoudhi is that it is 80 % nude ,peoplecan see that is the case when they get near the beach so no cause for offence cos ifyou might be offended you do not go there ,and everyoneknows that this a nude beach so most only go there if they intend to strip off or are with someone who does . My partner says she has no intention of going nude as she would not be comfortable . I think and hope she might change her mind when she is there but no problem if not and you often anyway get couples or groups where some are nude and others not
roger