Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Plakias / Smoke
« Last post by John R on December 17, 2018, 08:19:54 AM »
Looking st livikon webcam towards far end this morning at 08:15gmt - 10:15 Greek time there is a lot of smoke rising from somewhere in the far end direction. Hopefully not anything serious.
Holiday Companies / Re: Olympic 2019
« Last post by JBMouse on December 16, 2018, 04:49:45 PM »
This is the way it is going now, for all tour companies, and especially if you are visiting smaller, more out of the way places. The telephone contact should, hopefully work with Olympic, and you will get to speak to someone in Rethymno, or maybe try Anso travel, as Elspeth did some of her paperwork in there, and they may help in an emergency. Let's hope it doesn't get like Thomas Cook, who have a telephone help line, but this June, when I was questioning the delayed flight from Kalamata, I discovered I was talking to someone on Majorca! Not even in Greece!
Sad to see Elspeth go, let's hope for her sake, that Olympic don't put someone else in Plakias, when Elspeth would obviously have liked to carry on, and put her hard earned local knowledge to use.
We have already booked for next October at KC!!!! (Lesvos in June :)
« Last post by TonyH on December 16, 2018, 03:02:30 PM »
I understand through a Plakias Facebook page, that Elspeth (Olympic rep) will not be in Plakias next season.  It seems that Olympic have decided that Plakias does not warrant a permanent rep.  The rep service will be handled from the head office Reythimno? And if needed urgently needed customers will have to ring up?  This seems to be a way of cutting costs.  So, what will be next?? A worrying situation.
« Last post by triton on December 03, 2018, 07:47:54 PM »
Nice to see Jet2 flying into Chania from Leeds/Bradford next year.
Ok, the flight times are not as good as Ryanair but nearly £200 cheaper !
So there it is-----   bye bye Ryanair and thanks Jet2. Nice to see some competition.
Holiday Companies / Re: Thomas Cook Airlines
« Last post by ian s on November 29, 2018, 09:20:06 PM »
At the risk of going on about something unrelated to Plakias, Thomas Cook have only gone and done the same for a family holiday (18 people in total) to Rhodes in July.  To make matters worse they have changed us to a flight before the schools break up!!!  Not a happy bunny trying to sort it out.
I have been happy with Thomas Cook in recent years but now I would not book flights with them too far in advance.
« Last post by Arnaki on November 29, 2018, 03:20:52 PM »
I have been a loyal Olympic customer, ever since Kosmar/Excel sadly went bust.  Flying from Manchester, we've been lucky enough to continue to get transfers when they have been dropped for other airports. However, for 2019 there are no transfers to Plakias from Manchester.  This made me look again at costing up independent travel (which had always been more expensive in the past when you factored in travelling to and from the airport).

So in August, for a bit less than the price for 14 nights with Olympic (including taxis booked locally, not the ridiculous price offered by Olympic), I have booked independently a 17 night holiday flying Jet2 to Chania, two nights in Chania, bus to Sougia for 4 nights and 11 in Plakias (at Manolis), taking the ferry from Sougia to Chora Sfakion and a taxi to Plakias, and taxi from Plakias to the airport at the end. Before you tell me buses are fine and cheaper, I'm disabled and would prefer to make life a bit easier for myself in my advancing years.

If Olympic unravels its package much more, then people will explore other options.  Part of me wants to continue to support them, as Olympic has the small-scale accommodation that others don't, not to mention the lively Les and the lovely Elspeth as recent and current reps.
Where to stay / Re: Apollo Philoxenia
« Last post by Bertie on November 29, 2018, 11:28:27 AM »
Please remember it's not necessary to take a taxi. The local bus service takes a bit longer but costs a lot less and is an enjoyable experience.
Holiday Companies / Thomas Cook Airlines
« Last post by ian s on November 28, 2018, 11:51:28 AM »
I had booked for 10 days next May into June but Thomas Cook have decided to cancel Friday flights from/to Glasgow.  At first glance their email notification suggested only a flight time/seat reservation change and I nearly missed the fact they had changed my return flight by 3 days!!

When I phoned up they offered either chance to cancel or come back 4 days later than planned ‘at no extra charge’.  Fortunately I had already sussed that their prices had dropped since I booked so I decided to cancel and rebook saving £175 in the process.

So alls we’ll that ends well and the saving will pay for my extra 4 nights accommodation in Plakias!

I share this just to put you on alert to read carefully any emails you might receive from Thomas Cook but also to point out that they are offering some very good prices at the moment - cheaper than EasyJet, Jet2 etc. 
« Last post by robludlow on November 25, 2018, 09:54:04 AM »
Thank you Jackie  :)
« Last post by JackieatUrbanAgenda on November 24, 2018, 12:40:59 PM »
I think it is the Apollo apartments at the back of Costas Chrysoulas....our room overlooked them last year. They always seem very nice....lovely pool, small bar, yoga classes....popular with German tourists and just as close to the village centre.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10