Author Topic: Kosmar  (Read 24547 times)

Offline Mike G

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Kosmar
« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2004, 10:40:51 AM »
wouldn't mind a small wager that most of us wouldn't even consider going to a welcome meeting, never mind an overpriced excursion!
In the past I have been to lots of different Greek resorts and find the welcome meetings (which I always go to) range between quite informative and quite uninformative. It depends on the rep. They tend to be better at the end of the season when the rep has built up a decent amount of local knowledge. I have noticed that others seem to use them as a way of meeting other new guests. I can quite understand why most of the regular visitors to Plakias wouldn't bother with them as they must know more than the reps!

I agree about excursions booked through reps being a rip off. Much cheaper booked independently but I have heard that the multilingual ones are best avoided. As you say, this is a shame as the reps use excursions to boost their meagre wages.

Mike

Offline george g...

• View Profile
    • Email
Kosmar
« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2004, 01:33:08 PM »
I haven't been to a welcome meeting for years and this year in Plakias was my 10th time and always with a tour company. This year however I did make the effort just to find out why FC was pulling and I must salute Gary for his honesty. He did tell me that if Plakias ever gets back onto the FC portfolio he would be volunteering for the reps job.
The meeting consisted of me and one other older couple and that was it, and I didn't have to correct any of the spiel, he had done his homework very well.
I know you've been reading the site Gary, hope your ok and look forward to seeing you back in Plakias sometime.
george g...

Offline DOTTY

• Regulars
    • View Profile
Kosmar
« Reply #32 on: December 11, 2004, 06:18:39 PM »
Anyone been on the Kosmar site lately it appears the Appollon now has rooms at the dates it was booked up before. I wonder are these cancellations or have Kosmar taken on more rooms?  

Dotty
Dotty

Offline fraoula

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Kosmar
« Reply #33 on: December 13, 2004, 11:41:21 AM »
anyone who loves Plakias will not like Georgioupolis, but each to their own
I've never been there but have always thought it looked a "non lager lout" resort with a decent beach, tavernas etc. Could Harribobs please expand on his opinion.

Mike
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=2668\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

i think the place has been accurately described

i hadn't realised just how far down it had gone until i was talking with a greek friend who mentioned it  
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=2743\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Georgioupolis was a lovely place, that was when it was just a long sandy beach with  a small beach hut at one end and no sun beds! That is how i remembered Georgioupolis until we drove past it last year and saw the tatty bars
along the front and red bodied lassies walking along the main roadside with a pint in one hand  and a portion of chips in the other............  
   nothing against beer and chips but there's a time and a place and not at 09.00 in the morning

Offline harribobs

• Regulars
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - harribobs
    • View Profile
    • http://themanchesters.org
    • Email
Kosmar
« Reply #34 on: December 21, 2004, 05:07:37 PM »
saw the tatty bars
along the front and red bodied lassies walking along the main roadside with a pint in one hand  and a portion of chips in the other............  

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=2762\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

sounds like manchester on any given night  

Offline beachboy

• View Profile
Kosmar
« Reply #35 on: September 06, 2007, 04:29:58 PM »
Hi All

We are visiting Plakies for the first time and we are staying at the Lamon Apt/Htl if anybody has any recent feedback then please do reply.  As you can see I have a lot of questions and details sorry to be a pain

We are travelling with Kosmar and flying into Chania with Xl airways?  Reading through your forum and the description of beaches/sunbathing we will fall into the "Far ender type" so we hope to get an all over tan.

Can anybody tell me how far the "far end" is from the Lamon hotel we are both fit and able thank God so just looking for an idea of the time/distance.  

The other two beaches further East look interesting but will consider the walk when we are there.

Can anybody clarify who is the owner of the sun shades/umbrellas ie. local municiplity/sun lounger owners?

If any of you reply let me thank you for your advice and congrats on having a great site "Very proffessional and friendly"

Thanks

BAM

Offline John R

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fluteweb.net
    • Email
Kosmar
« Reply #36 on: September 06, 2007, 07:48:12 PM »
Quote from: beachboy
Hi All

We are visiting Plakies for the first time and we are staying at the Lamon Apt/Htl if anybody has any recent feedback then please do reply.  As you can see I have a lot of questions and details sorry to be a pain

We are travelling with Kosmar and flying into Chania with Xl airways?  Reading through your forum and the description of beaches/sunbathing we will fall into the "Far ender type" so we hope to get an all over tan.

Can anybody tell me how far the "far end" is from the Lamon hotel we are both fit and able thank God so just looking for an idea of the time/distance.  

The other two beaches further East look interesting but will consider the walk when we are there.

Can anybody clarify who is the owner of the sun shades/umbrellas ie. local municiplity/sun lounger owners?

If any of you reply let me thank you for your advice and congrats on having a great site "Very proffessional and friendly"

Thanks

BAM

Hi

Welcome to the Forum - tis what we are here for to answer/ask lots of questions

I'm not a Farender - but know most of the answers (I'm a minority in Plakias but we DO talk to our farender friends !!)

Lamon is close to the Far End as indeed is the whole town but Lamon is at the far end end of town. So a level 10 minute walk - less if you are fit, keen and in a hurry.

Freddy - a young amiable Albanian Character will collect the cash from you when he finds you occupying the sunloungers. Don't know who legally "owns" them but he's in charge. Towards the end of last season I also noticed him working in the bar at the Lamon - but things can change.

Lamon gets variable feedback - but I'm sure you will be ok there. It is very much on the front right opposite the beach (not the Far end bit though.)

14 days to go.................................................

John R
« Last Edit: September 06, 2007, 07:50:07 PM by John R »

Offline jenny

• View Profile
Kosmar
« Reply #37 on: September 06, 2007, 08:00:13 PM »
How far is it? - in truth less than a km, much less than that if you just go to the start of the 'Far End'.

How long does it take? - I've said this before elsewhere - depends who you stop to talk to (etc) along the way  .......

But it is all on the flat, and a very pleasant walk along t'prom.
Jenny

Naturist and Hell's Grandma

Offline George

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Kosmar
« Reply #38 on: September 07, 2007, 08:36:03 AM »
Hi All

Thanks

BAM
Hi BAM

Never stayed at the Lamon, but have heard good reports about it. Cute little pool at the front overlooking the beach and a nice bar area next to it, and yes Freddie is working there this year in the evenings and does the 2 sets of beds at the far end. You will love him everyone does, very friendly and always up for a laugh    and speaks very good English.
The Far End, as has been said is about a 10 minute stroll along a flat road behind the beach, or preferably come straight out of the Lamon straight down to the waters edge and get to it that way.
The other 2 beaches, Amoudi and Micro Amoudi?? Someone will fill you in and point you towards some pictures of them. Never been there other than to have a look, I am a devoted Far Ender   !!
The beds along the village part of the beach are more often owned by the Apartments/Hotels directly behind them. It doesn't matter though anyone can use them. (2 x beds and a parasol = 5 euros). And as Freddie suggested this year if you pay him up front for next year, he'll reserve them for you  .

As JR said we are here to answer questions so don't hesitate to ask, we are all Plakiasites here and talk all year about the place we all love  , waiting until the next time. Only 50 weeks to go  , see what I mean?

Get back to us when you return, let us know what you think good or bad... and when you will be going back  

Have a good one!!

george g...

Offline Mike from Sussex

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Kosmar
« Reply #39 on: September 07, 2007, 09:34:05 AM »
Quote from: George
Hi All

Thanks

BAM
Hi BAM

Never stayed at the Lamon, but have heard good reports about it. Cute little pool at the front overlooking the beach and a nice bar area next to it, and yes Freddie is working there this year in the evenings and does the 2 sets of beds at the far end. You will love him everyone does, very friendly and always up for a laugh    and speaks very good English.
The Far End, as has been said is about a 10 minute stroll along a flat road behind the beach, or preferably come straight out of the Lamon straight down to the waters edge and get to it that way.
The other 2 beaches, Amoudi and Micro Amoudi?? Someone will fill you in and point you towards some pictures of them. Never been there other than to have a look, I am a devoted Far Ender   !!
The beds along the village part of the beach are more often owned by the Apartments/Hotels directly behind them. It doesn't matter though anyone can use them. (2 x beds and a parasol = 5 euros). And as Freddie suggested this year if you pay him up front for next year, he'll reserve them for you  .

As JR said we are here to answer questions so don't hesitate to ask, we are all Plakiasites here and talk all year about the place we all love  , waiting until the next time. Only 50 weeks to go  , see what I mean?

Get back to us when you return, let us know what you think good or bad... and when you will be going back  

Have a good one!!

george g...

Last summer Freddie told us he was finding the work at the Lamon too much. He hadn't been married very long and was not seeing enough of his bride      Said he definitely wouldn't do the Lamon this season.

BAM

The beds are privately owned, but the owners have to pay a fee to the municipality for permission to use the beach.

From the Lamon to the far end of the Far End took my wife and myself about 15 mins, not dawdling, but slow enough not to break into a sweat.

Mike

Offline jenny

• View Profile
Kosmar
« Reply #40 on: September 07, 2007, 10:28:40 PM »
Someone mentioned walking on the beach to the Far End, along the sea edge.   Good plan if you have one leg longer than the other and can arrange to swap them round to walk back, or otherwise wish to see how quickly you can walk backwards.

It is also much further because of all the sandcastles you have to detour round ditto toys, lilos, inflatable Nemo's, crocodiles etc which children of every nationality have discarded at the water's edge (oh and body boards esp when the waves are up)

It is indeed a very pleasant walk - but you won't set any world records unless you set out very early! LOL
Jenny

Offline compage

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://www.compage.com
    • Email
Kosmar
« Reply #41 on: September 09, 2007, 03:16:41 PM »
... we are all Plakiasites here ...
george g...
The collective noun for users of this forum is 'Plakforms' George.  
John Page

Offline Chas

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Kosmar
« Reply #42 on: September 09, 2007, 07:01:03 PM »
Quote from: compage
... we are all Plakiasites here ...
george g...
The collective noun for users of this forum is 'Plakforms' George.    

Quote from: jenny
....   Good plan if you have one leg longer than the other and can arrange to swap them round to walk back, or otherwise wish to see how quickly you can walk backwards. ...

Ah-ha!  That explains so much - plakform on the right foot going to the Far End and on the left foot for the return  
Chas

Stupidity is its own reward.

Offline Barny

• Regulars
  • Have I seen you in Kyma?
    • View Profile
    • Email
Kosmar
« Reply #43 on: September 09, 2007, 08:19:33 PM »
So if you had two left feet, would you be wearing flip flips?

Barny.
Fancy a Mythos?

Offline jenny

• View Profile
Kosmar
« Reply #44 on: September 09, 2007, 10:13:53 PM »
Quote from: Barny
So if you had two left feet, would you be wearing flip flips?

Barny.

Someone we know pointed out to us some years ago now, that if you listen to someone starting to walk whilst wearing flip-flops, the actual sound made is actually 'flop-flip'.

So far we have not heard of any reasonable explanation as to why they should be named backwards.

So, please air your own hypotheses regarding this conundrum here.

Bottle of Mythos for the one that makes me laugh the most .......
Jenny