Author Topic: 2009 season  (Read 35836 times)

Offline harribobs

• Regulars
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - harribobs
    • View Profile
    • http://themanchesters.org
    • Email
2009 season
« Reply #75 on: June 15, 2009, 11:36:57 PM »
i'm back in Manchester, but i know where i'd rather be...

Offline travellingran

• Sponsors
    • View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
2009 season
« Reply #76 on: June 16, 2009, 10:03:15 AM »
Quote from: harribobs
i'm back in Manchester, but i know where i'd rather be...

Likewise ,Chris.

Your pic is making me long for Plakias. The big seas lasted a day or so but there was no wind. Perfect.

Thankyou for the company and meeting also with Tom and John.
I will go into training next timefor the drinking marathons. !

Heather.

Offline Mike G

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
2009 season
« Reply #77 on: June 16, 2009, 01:59:28 PM »
Quote from: steven
Hi Heather, my recommendation would be to stay at Stella's (friendly and quiet), book with Easyjet (we got a Sunday day flight for £150) and try the Shuttle bus/taxi offered on the Easyjet site which will be significantly cheaper than a taxi (another forum member used it earlier and posted prices).

Go independent, I am in Plakias now and booked a room at Helios app (the best an biggest I had so far " sat tv, internet, ac, cooking and a place to sit and a real table")  for 320 euro 2wks.
Hired a car for 3 days pick up Heraklion and return plakias for 110 euro (beats a cab).

BTW, The wind is back.

Greeting Steven.

Hello Steven and Graham/Karen,

The rate you quote for Helios is very good but Heather is right that going independently from the UK for a single is much more expensive than Olympic, even with an Easyjet flight and the Olympic single supplement. I would be interested to hear about the "Easyjet shuttle" though as I must have missed that posting.

Mike

Offline Peter&Dawn

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
2009 season
« Reply #78 on: June 17, 2009, 12:57:07 PM »
Our transfer from Heraklion on 26th May was the transfer from hell. I was convinced we were going to Plakias via Libya . It took just under four hours. I was already exhausted from a previous nights drive from North Devon to Gatwick so that transfer dulled the enjoyment usually experienced when arriving in Plakias.
[/quote]

HELP!!!!
Has anyone else had experience this year of the Olympic transfer from Heraklion.
We are due to land at 14:50 on the 18th August and I am in two minds about risking a long slow transfer of hiring a car from the airport.

Any advise would be appreciated.

Peter&Dawn (only 58 days to go)  

Offline DOTTY

• Regulars
    • View Profile
2009 season
« Reply #79 on: June 17, 2009, 10:11:21 PM »
Quote from: Peter&Dawn
Our transfer from Heraklion on 26th May was the transfer from hell. I was convinced we were going to Plakias via Libya . It took just under four hours. I was already exhausted from a previous nights drive from North Devon to Gatwick so that transfer dulled the enjoyment usually experienced when arriving in Plakias.

HELP!!!!
Has anyone else had experience this year of the Olympic transfer from Heraklion.
We are due to land at 14:50 on the 18th August and I am in two minds about risking a long slow transfer of hiring a car from the airport.

Hi to answer your query, we went  for the first time with with Olympic in May. The flight landed half an hour early so in Heraklion for 03 .30 we were in Plakias for 07.00 they provided a mini coach from Rethynmon to plakias as there were only 6 of us. Hope it goes the same for you.  

Dotty and Gary
Dotty

Offline Mike G

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
2009 season
« Reply #80 on: June 18, 2009, 09:21:57 AM »
Quote from: DOTTY
Quote from: Peter&Dawn

HELP!!!!

Hi to answer your query, we went  for the first time with with Olympic in May. The flight landed half an hour early so in Heraklion for 03 .30 we were in Plakias for 07.00 they provided a mini coach from Rethynmon to plakias as there were only 6 of us. Hope it goes the same for you.  

Dotty and Gary
Quotes seem to have been mixed up as the "Libya" statement is Heather's but in answer to your question my Olympic transfer on May 12 was 1 hr 45mins to the first stop in Plakias and about 2 hours to mine (Dora, the last). Returning on May 26 it was just over 3 hours. Heather's two weeks later was as she described for the same Gatwick flight. It seems to be the luck of the draw and as I said, Olympic has contracted the whole transfer process to Monza travel and let them get on with it. Everyone has the option of ignoring the transfer and booking a taxi at ca. €180 for the round trip. I know what my choice would be as €180 still buys quite a lot in Plakias and when the first drink hits the spot the transfer is soon forgotten..

I did hear an example last year where a couple had opted out and hadn't had the courtesy to tell the Olympic rep and this had further delayed the transfer for the others while they waited (in vain) for them.

Mike
« Last Edit: June 22, 2009, 01:12:22 PM by Mike G »

Offline Graham_and_Karen

• Regulars
    • Facebook
    • Google+
    • View Profile
    • Email
2009 season
« Reply #81 on: June 19, 2009, 06:29:22 PM »
I'm sure it is the luck of the draw. Unfortunately, we always seemed to be unlucky. We've also had 5hr transfers. I agree that 180 Euro buys a lot but for 289 Euro, we can get a small car for 2 weeks. As much as we enjoy walking in the local area, having the car does open up more possibilities.

Offline Noopsy

• Sponsors
    • View Profile
    • Email
2009 season
« Reply #82 on: June 19, 2009, 08:50:33 PM »
Quote from: Mike G
Quote from: steven
try the Shuttle bus/taxi offered on the Easyjet site which will be significantly cheaper than a taxi (another forum member used it earlier and posted prices).

Greeting Steven.
Hello Steven and Graham/Karen,

I would be interested to hear about the "Easyjet shuttle" though as I must have missed that posting.

Mike
Forget the easyJet shuttle...unless you're prepared to spend £235.20.  See my post in Lift Request / Taxi Share - Sept 2009 in this section of the forum (sorry, I haven't worked out how to insert links to other posts).

Noopsy
Ελευθερία ή θάνατος

Offline Peter&Dawn

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
2009 season
« Reply #83 on: June 20, 2009, 12:12:08 PM »
Quote from: Graham_and_Karen
I'm sure it is the luck of the draw. Unfortunately, we always seemed to be unlucky. We've also had 5hr transfers. I agree that 180 Euro buys a lot but for 289 Euro, we can get a small car for 2 weeks. As much as we enjoy walking in the local area, having the car does open up more possibilities.

Thanks for the transfer replies / horror stories. I don't think we would enjoy a 3hr + transfer so we have decided that hiring a car is the best solution. (And I will remember to tell the Olympic reps on arrival.)

If any forum member is around from 18th August till 1st September please come and say hello, we will probably be in the Livicon most evenings.

Peter&Dawn

Offline Davos

• MSN Messenger - plakias@hotmail.co.uk
    • View Profile
    • http://davosplakias.spaces.live.com/default.aspx
    • Email
2009 season
« Reply #84 on: June 20, 2009, 02:07:58 PM »
Hows Plakias looking this year.
Is it busy or is there a drop in the anount of people going.
is the extra vit-a-min-a guy still doing his thing.
Who's doing the sunbeds at the far end.
Hows the me harbour going.

Only two weeks to wait here, I can taste the Mythos.
Smile you are in Plakias. :)

Offline Barny

• Regulars
  • Have I seen you in Kyma?
    • View Profile
    • Email
2009 season
« Reply #85 on: June 20, 2009, 06:36:05 PM »
We arrive on 21st July at 15;00 with Olympic. How long to get to Plakias? Prizes for the nesrest answer !

Barny.
Fancy a Mythos?

Offline travellingran

• Sponsors
    • View Profile
    • Email
2009 season
« Reply #86 on: June 20, 2009, 06:52:47 PM »
Quote from: Davos

Davos,

Plakias looking very good despite a rush of further development.

The road behind the village from Manoussis' taverna right around to the youth hostel or road back into Plakias which was such a pretty and peaceful walk/bike ride with wild flower meadows and the bridge over the river, is now being developed so much that the river is becoming clogged up with silt and bags of rubbish. The Porto Plakias Hotel that so dominated that area last year now seems dwarfed by the new buildings in what were last year olive groves and wild flower meadows.

On my last full day on the beach the peace and quiet was interrupted by a large party of Russians with footballs, children and loud radios. On the third time of being hit by footballs I moved to much further along the beach. The noise from this group was also a bit of a shock.   Shrieking , squealing girls and kids and radios all playing different music loudly.

May as well go to Tenerife.

I missed the doughnut man but he is still around , but with less patter.

As for the far end sunbeds maybe Kirsten or John and Tom will know.

There was nothing going on at the new harbour while I was there. Maybe another Forum reader will enlighten on that score.

It is still Plakias though with that certain atmosphere of peace and well being.

Heather.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2009, 06:53:52 PM by travellingran »

Offline travellingran

• Sponsors
    • View Profile
    • Email
2009 season
« Reply #87 on: June 20, 2009, 07:03:52 PM »
Quote from: Barny
We arrive on 21st July at 15;00 with Olympic. How long to get to Plakias? Prizes for the nesrest answer !

Barny.

I want to win the prize so I will say 3 hours 25 minutes from Heraklion to Dora's.

NB ( what is the prize ?????????????)

Heather.

Offline Kerstin

• Regulars
    • View Profile
2009 season
« Reply #88 on: June 20, 2009, 07:50:22 PM »
Quote from: Davos

Hello Davos,

as I wrote, during our stay early in May, Freddy was very busy and amusing on the beach. Together, we had a lot of fun.
Of course you can buy the donuts. Every day early in the afternoon he offered the "delicious" donuts.
Concerning the harbour, I believe, it will takes a lot of time until finishing this construction.

Enjoy your stay.
Greetings,
Kerstin

Offline Kerstin

• Regulars
    • View Profile
2009 season
« Reply #89 on: June 20, 2009, 07:57:50 PM »
Quote from: travellingran
Quote from: Barny

Barny.

I want to win the prize so I will say 3 hours 25 minutes from Heraklion to Dora's.

NB ( what is the prize ?????????????)

Heather.

Hello Heather,

I believe we had the shortest transfer with "Taxi 4 you". ...... 90 minutes from Heraklion to Plakias and within the same time back to the airport.
Yes, we paid 85,00 Euros for each transfer, but we had no stress and it was very nice to talk to Zack. We would do it again and again.

Kerstin