Author Topic: Berlin  (Read 9734 times)

Offline Barny

• Regulars
  • Have I seen you in Kyma?
    • View Profile
    • Email
Berlin
« on: March 10, 2010, 08:28:37 AM »
Well it's still a while until summer so we have just booked a three day break in Berlin, staying at the Altberlin Hotel on the Postdamer Platz. I have never been before but Ruth lived around there many years ago. Looking forward to a bit of sight seeing and history and of course the beer will need sampling !
Anyone been there?

Barny.
Fancy a Mythos?

Offline Mike from Sussex

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Berlin
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2010, 10:29:07 AM »
Quote from: Barny
Well it's still a while until summer so we have just booked a three day break in Berlin, staying at the Altberlin Hotel on the Postdamer Platz. I have never been before but Ruth lived around there many years ago. Looking forward to a bit of sight seeing and history and of course the beer will need sampling !
Anyone been there?

Barny.

Barny,

I visited a good few years back when East Berlin had just opened up, but the wall had not been completely demolished. The difference between East and West was very remarkable then and it would be interesting to see the subsequent changes. I am sure one will be a large reduction in the Trabant population.

I think you will enjoy it, but look out for the trams, since you sometimes don’t hear them approaching, and if you wander into a cycle lane, expect to get roundly abused!

I particularly enjoyed walking around the Tiergarten and there is a very nice café there, overlooking a lake, where you can get a coffee, or something stronger.

Mike

Offline Kerstin

• Regulars
    • View Profile
Berlin
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2010, 01:40:14 PM »
Barny,

I am sure you will not see a Trabant because these cars are liquidated.
It is very seldom that we can see such a car on our roads.

Enjoy your stay in Berlin.

Kerstin

Offline Steve Jones

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Berlin
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2010, 09:32:56 PM »
We are also going to Berlin in the third week of March. We have booked at the Circus Hotel in the Barn Quarter of the city which looks fantastic.

I had the pleasure of staying for a few nights in the Grand Hyatt Hotel in Potsdamer Platz nearly three years ago. This hotel was by far and away the best hotel that i have ever been too, the service was sensational.

We hope that you enjoy your stay. We understand that Berlin is still good value for money compared to other major European Cities.

Steve

Offline Barny

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Berlin
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2010, 08:17:32 AM »
Thanks for your comments. We are arriving on 30th March and looking forward to it. we land at Schoenefeld airport   How far is this from the centre?

Barny.
Fancy a Mythos?

Offline Mike from Sussex

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Berlin
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2010, 09:36:41 AM »
Thanks for your comments. We are arriving on 30th March and looking forward to it. we land at Schoenefeld airport   How far is this from the centre?

Barny.

The airport is about 10 miles from the centre and there is a train which takes you into Berlin.

Your hotel looks to be on Potsdamer Strasse, not Platz. Check their website Altberlin-hotel.de

Mike

Offline harribobs

• Regulars
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - harribobs
    • View Profile
    • http://themanchesters.org
    • Email
Berlin
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2010, 10:43:38 AM »
Sounds good Barny!

(we're off to NYC next week   )

Offline Barny

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Berlin
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2010, 10:47:26 AM »
Thank for that.

HOTEL ALTBERLIN am Potsdamer Platz
Potsdamer Strasse 67
D-10785 Berlin-Mitte

I am sure the taxi driver will know it.

Barny.
Fancy a Mythos?

Offline Barny

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Berlin
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2010, 06:34:38 PM »
Berlin is wonderful, no hassle no noise I could go on forever ! On the subject of the Trabbant, they have a Trabbant safari tour I have a photo i will upload later. Kerstin you live in a lovely place.

Barny.
Fancy a Mythos?

Offline Steve Jones

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Berlin
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2010, 03:26:35 PM »
Berlin is wonderful, no hassle no noise I could go on forever ! On the subject of the Trabbant, they have a Trabbant safari tour I have a photo i will upload later. Kerstin you live in a lovely place.

Barny.

Loved most things about Berlin, it certainly has some great things going for it. Great value.

The only real drawback for us was a visual one; the sheer amount of graffiti, which was a real shame!

Offline Kerstin

• Regulars
    • View Profile
Berlin
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2010, 09:25:42 PM »
Barny, it is good to hear that you enjoyed Berlin.
Until now, I have never heard about a Trabant safari tour. I believe it would be in an interesting thing.  
I was 20 years old as I have driven my first and the last Trabant. Really, it is difficult to handle such a car.
When I go to Berlin than it tooks me around 2 hours. At the end of the last year I went to Berlin/Schönefeld
because I had got a lovely Christmas present from my husband... flights to Nottingham and back with Ryanair.
I had a wonderful stay in England.  

Steve, I agree with you. The amount of graffiti is a shame. Unfortunately, you will find it everywhere.
And mostly the police cannot find the graffiti sprayer.

Kerstin

Offline Barny

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Berlin
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2010, 02:03:38 PM »
There were about six Trabbants and they all toured round the city. It was a strange sight to see!  not like the jeep safari in Crete. Can't get the picture to upload but I will keep trying. We thought the Brandenburg Gate was spoiled by all the tourist stuff, "have your photo taken with an American" "buy a souvenir Russian hat" ETC.
We did a walking tour which took about four hours but covered all the main sites. the guide was brilliant and had so much knowledge.
I definitely want to go back to Germany soon.
Plakias still will be priority !

Barny.
Fancy a Mythos?

Offline Kerstin

• Regulars
    • View Profile
Berlin
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2010, 06:07:09 PM »
There were about six Trabbants and they all toured round the city. It was a strange sight to see!  not like the jeep safari in Crete. Can't get the picture to upload but I will keep trying. We thought the Brandenburg Gate was spoiled by all the tourist stuff, "have your photo taken with an American" "buy a souvenir Russian hat" ETC.
We did a walking tour which took about four hours but covered all the main sites. the guide was brilliant and had so much knowledge.
I definitely want to go back to Germany soon.
Plakias still will be priority !

Barny.

Offline Kerstin

• Regulars
    • View Profile
Berlin
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2010, 06:19:08 PM »
Barny,

I found a website and I believe it could be the "safari tour": http://cms.trabi-safari.de/opencms/opencms...home/index.html

I am sure you have seen the most main sites of Berlin, but Berlin is very different to the most cities of Germany and very special to the
cities of East Germany. I live in Saxonia and I would recommend Dresden and our town Leipzig for your next travel to Germany
and of course it depends on your interests.

Kerstin

Offline Barny

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Berlin
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2010, 07:28:18 PM »
[attachment=716:berlin_041.jpg]

Safari!!
Fancy a Mythos?