Author Topic: first time  (Read 35691 times)

Offline Laurajane

• MSN Messenger - Laurajane031283@hotmail.com
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - Laurajane031283@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • http://
first time
« on: July 19, 2006, 10:38:46 PM »
Hi, I've just booked my first hol in Plakias......I Greece, esp Crete so I'm hoping I will have a great time. Anybody got any tips for where to go, what to do etc?....I'm only there for a week,....and I'm 22 by the way. Also wondered if anyone else here will be there from the 15th-22nd August?

Offline harribobs

• Regulars
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - harribobs
    • View Profile
    • http://themanchesters.org
    • Email
first time
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2006, 11:10:43 PM »
hi laura

welcome to the forum

good choice of holiday...what are you looking to do? sun sea and good food are all available in a spectacular setting

i suspect you might enjoy the upstairs at the ostraco bar for your late night entertainment

cheers  chris

Offline Steve Jones

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
first time
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2006, 11:45:56 PM »
Try being a far-ender! That's a liberating experience!

Offline George

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
first time
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2006, 08:35:16 AM »
Hi Laurajane
Welcome (Nice name)
Your going to get a lot of suggestions for places to go in Plakias so I won't bother.
Check out the 'Where to go' threads if you want to see more of the area.
Hope you enjoy your stay, unfortunately I won't be there until the second week in September so won't be able to show you around.

george g...

Offline Ploppy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hounslow Weather
    • Email
first time
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2006, 09:16:37 AM »
Hiya,

Welcome to the forum.

It depends on what you want to do really. Do you just want to chill out and sample the local tavernas, bars and sunbathing spots? or do you want to go further afield on excursions or hire a car or go hiking?

Being lazy so and sos we tend not to stray far but that may change this year (yeah right!).

As for who will be out there at the same time, check out the forums calendar, link is at the top right.

Cheers,

Paul

Offline Laurajane

• View Profile
first time
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2006, 12:30:22 PM »
thanks, sounds like I'm going to like it.....good food is def high on my agenda....I love my swordfish!....good cocktails too for that matter!...I'm actually going on hol with my mum and my stepdad for the first time in 5 years cause my friends are all being miserable this year and I can't persuade anyone to go.....never mind!...I have my own apartment and am quite capable of entertaining myself so I'm sure I'll have a great time! I'm an arty type (just finished a design degree) so anywhere with beautiful scenery for drawing/ photographing is of interest to me...I once based a whole project round Greece at uni!

Although I very much like authentic Greece and would never dream of going on some awful 18-30's type hol...I do like my nights out!..So I'll be sure to check out that bar!

I usually try to go to places in Greece that the Greeks holiday themselves....It sounds bad but I don't like to be surrounded by English people and English catered bars. Was just wondering....is it mostly Englsih people here?.....I've done my research and it only seems to be olympic and kosmar that go here....which is normally a good sign  

By the way Steve.....far ender?......Am I mssing something?

Offline Ploppy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hounslow Weather
    • Email
first time
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2006, 01:08:04 PM »
Quote from: Laurajane
I usually try to go to places in Greece that the Greeks holiday themselves....It sounds bad but I don't like to be surrounded by English people and English catered bars. Was just wondering....is it mostly Englsih people here?.....I've done my research and it only seems to be olympic and kosmar that go here....which is normally a good sign  

By the way Steve.....far ender?......Am I mssing something?

Sounds like Plakias may just be for you.

Far ender: The main Plakias beach has a clothing optional area at the far end (i.e farthest from town).
A lot of the forum members here like to hang out there as it were.

I don't personally and apart from being called a textile we all get along great!

There are a number of English visitors, a lot of them return year after year as you may see from this forum. You also get a number of Germans & Czechs and to a lesser degree French and Italians.

I wouldn't say any of the bars pander to the English. The vast majority of people that go there want the authenticity and not fish and chips and a pint of lager.

Let us know if there is anything else you want to know.

Cheers,

Paul

Offline Peter&Dawn

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
first time
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2006, 01:14:39 PM »
Hi, Laurajane

Am I mssing something? Only your clothes as a 'far ender'  
It is also the best stretch of beach.

We will be in Plakias during your stay. We arrive on the 15th (Flight from Gatwick)and are staying at the Lamon. (Just to warn you - we are probably closer to your mums age group).

Where will you be staying?

Pete

Offline Laurajane

• View Profile
first time
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2006, 01:31:45 PM »
ahhhh, the lamon...nearly went there.......I am staying at kostas chrysoulla...should be good! I see, nudist beach!....you get them everywere.....been on them myself.....not naked mind!...because like you say, they are always the best bit of beach....this place sounds a bit like Makrigialos, SE Crete....it also has a huge fan club of people that keep going back there cause they love it so much

Offline George

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
first time
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2006, 01:54:22 PM »
ahhhh, the lamon...nearly went there.......I am staying at kostas chrysoulla...should be good! I see, nudist beach!....you get them everywere.....been on them myself.....not naked mind!...because like you say, they are always the best bit of beach....this place sounds a bit like Makrigialos, SE Crete....it also has a huge fan club of people that keep going back there cause they love it so much

Don't even think about it Laurajane, in my opinion there is no comparison between Plakias and Makrigialos, I had my 2 weeks there and hated it. I've been going to Plakias almost every year since 1995 with the odd 2 weeks in Makri and I know which one I prefer.
It's up to you to make your own mind up, it 'sounds' perfect for you, we can't say that you are going to love it there but we will be surprised if you don't.

Get back to us with your opinions, good or bad they are always welcome.  

george g...

Offline Rowena & Carl

• Regulars
    • MSN Messenger - rowenabarlow@hotmail.co.uk
    • View Profile
    • http://www.results4u.co.uk
first time
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2006, 02:05:32 PM »

Hi Laurajane

I think your going to love Plakias from what you've said your after. Try out the Beach Bar first one on the way to end the beach. Doesn't get busy until after 11 but does get a fairly young mainly greek crowd in. You will also find that during August there will be alot of Greeks holidaying in Plakias.

Also the main beach is great but do explore as there loads of other nearby beaches Amoudi, Souda, Damouni etc.

I first started going to Plakias when I was 24 now i'm 35 and have been 20 times 21 in Sept 06. Have fun you'll love it.

Rowena & Carl

Offline Laurajane

• View Profile
first time
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2006, 02:12:36 PM »
really George? I actually really liked Makrigialos....what was it you didn't like and what are the differences?....I know I ask a lot of questions!!!....also guys......its just Laura....it wouldn't let me have Laura so I had to add my middle name......thanks Carl and Rowena....will def try Beach Bar

Offline xamax

• ICQ Messenger - 113247388
    • View Profile
    • Email
first time
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2006, 02:33:13 PM »
If you like a very beautiful beach where there are only few people, almost all from Greece, you should try Rodakino, about 12 Km from Plakias in direction of Sellia. If you will rent a car to go there you will remember the wonderful views from the road. When you arrive in Rodakino go down to the sea and when you will be at the sea go right until the end of the road (about 1 km). There there is also a very good restaurant, Virgin Mary, if you go there try octopus salad !!!!!!!!

Offline George

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
first time
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2006, 02:36:44 PM »
really George? I actually really liked Makrigialos....what was it you didn't like and what are the differences?....I know I ask a lot of questions!!!....also guys......its just Laura....it wouldn't let me have Laura so I had to add my middle name......thanks Carl and Rowena....will def try Beach Bar

I think I was there about 8 years ago so it might have changed.
We stayed at the Miramar at the eastern end behind the bakery. Great apartment on the beach (stones)!
The odd thing about it that I didn't like was the fact that there was no walkway along the beach because all the bars/shops etc all backed onto the beach and the only road/walkway was inland.
We spent most of our time in the 'ajoining' village at the western end of the strip, very cosmo.
The beach in comp. to Plakias doesn't exist, it was small and had to be put back where it should be every month because the tide washed it away.
The big hotel east out of the village up the hill and the surrounding area could have been anywhere, there was no Greek atmosphere.
The best thing about it... the jeep, it got us out of there.

you did ask!  

check out Google Earth it will give you a really good feel about Plakias.

Ask as many Q's as you like that's what we are here for 'Talking about Plakias'  

george g...

Offline Laurajane

• View Profile
first time
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2006, 07:30:33 PM »
 Fair enough....I really liked the people there though...so friendly....and so many free nibbles everywhere.....you could go without buying food the amount of free nuts, fruit and starters we had. I remember Miramare...great position.

Question from stepdad....can you hire wind surfing stuff....and any idea of prices?

Will def try Virgin Mary.....not sure about octopus though

also...please tell me the transfer from Heraklion isn't too horrendous??....and is 2 and half hrs like it says and not about 4!