login

Author Topic: Limani  (Read 27063 times)

Offline Santa

• Regulars
    • MSN Messenger - klausmueller95@gmail.com
    • View Profile
Limani
« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2006, 07:39:37 AM »
I will try to have a word with the mayor about the fountain when I am in Plakias this weekend- Will let you know what he says.
Santa

Offline beachcombers

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://
Limani
« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2006, 02:32:48 PM »
'On the foot path from town to the far end quite a few iron pieces are sticking out  of the concrete pavement.
Can cause serious injuries! '
Leen

If you don't stub your toe at least once, your not in Plakias. Besides, they've been there for years, and not been mentioned 'til now.
Let's not get too Health and Safety shall we, it's bad enough the tour companies imposing rules and regs on the apartments, without us getting picky.  

This is Greece!

george g...
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=6152\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hello George,

This is a forum and we can write what we want  isnt it?

Perhaps it needs an explanation:
On the way to town we were looking at the works from the pavement and Willemien seriously stubbed her foot against a stud from a removed bench .
It was sticking out ± 5 cm ( ± 2" for Brits   ) A day later it was ground off    obviously the incident was noticed by the workers.
Could have been worse.

Then watching our way more carefully we observed thinner iron (concrete-iron) (bended) sticking out of the concrete path untill the pavement was properly tiled. Small children tend to run on such pavements, can fall and get nasty injuries.

I.e.: such small not expected obstacles can ruin someones holidays!

Leen

Offline kimberlee

• View Profile
Limani
« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2006, 07:56:57 AM »
Helllo Santa,
Im new to Plakias and am going there for the 1st time at the beging of September. I have seen your email about the Harbor and am a little worrie know. We might be staying near the Horizon Hotel. For a holiday what do you think, I we gonna have a holiday night mare?

Has the work started on the harbor yet? Any infomation would be a great help.

Thanks

OK- I thought I would give you all an update on the new harbor planned for Plakias just west of town- past Horizon Hotel. I reviewed the plans with the mayor two weeks ago and I am told that the construction will start on April 15 and the contractor has 24 months to finish. Not to worry about all the trucks rumbling through town- the plan is to have everything brought in by boat. Knowing how our Greek friends  keep schedules, I am taking a wait and see attitude about the 15th. If they start, then we should have some excitement in the old town.
Santa.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=5652\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Offline harribobs

• Regulars
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - harribobs
    • View Profile
    • http://themanchesters.org
    • Email
Limani
« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2006, 11:55:25 PM »
Helllo Santa,
Im new to Plakias and am going there for the 1st time at the beging of September. I have seen your email about the Harbor and am a little worrie know. We might be staying near the Horizon Hotel. For a holiday what do you think, I we gonna have a holiday night mare?

Thanks

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=6178\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

hi kimberlee  and welcome to the forum

this thread got a little hijacked

we got back last week and didn't notice any construction work at all

i suspect the only nighhtmare you'll have is coming back from plakias

chris

Offline Santa

• Regulars
    • View Profile
Limani
« Reply #34 on: June 05, 2006, 08:22:15 AM »
Helllo Santa,

Thanks

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=6178\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

hi kimberlee  and welcome to the forum

this thread got a little hijacked

we got back last week and didn't notice any construction work at all

i suspect the only nighhtmare you'll have is coming back from plakias

chris
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=6180\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
OK- I did not see the Mayor, but did speak with the vice-mayor- On the subject of the fountain- there is no clear direction, but I get the feeling it will be fixed and it is here to stay- The harbor will still be built, but as with everything else, it just takes a bit longer to get started. The funds have been approved and all the drawings are done and the permit has been issued. On the matter of the digging in the sand past Meltemi, this is part of the new sewer infrastructure and will be a septic tank and from there will be pumped to the treatment facility-
Anyway, the harbour is located well to the west of Horizon, and as I understand it, one of the conditions on the contractor is that no trucks will rumble through town- all material must come by ship- all in all, it should be interseting and I am looking forward to it- Finally on the wall- I looked at it again and it is totally out of character- what a waste of good paint-
Santa

Offline Mike G

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Limani
« Reply #35 on: June 06, 2006, 01:21:20 PM »
On the matter of the digging in the sand past Meltemi, this is part of the new sewer infrastructure and will be a septic tank and from there will be pumped to the treatment facility-
Santa,

As a matter of interest, where is the treatment facility?

Mike

Offline John R

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fluteweb.net
    • Email
Limani
« Reply #36 on: June 06, 2006, 10:45:04 PM »
On the matter of the digging in the sand past Meltemi, this is part of the new sewer infrastructure and will be a septic tank and from there will be pumped to the treatment facility-
Santa,

As a matter of interest, where is the treatment facility?

Mike
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=6189\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Upstream on the main river that runs to the sea thro Plakias. You pass it if you walk up to the old mill etc. It is interesting that it is above the level of the town so all waste is pumped up to it, treated and then released (I assume) into the river.

John

Offline Mike G

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Limani
« Reply #37 on: June 07, 2006, 01:14:55 PM »
Upstream on the main river that runs to the sea thro Plakias. You pass it if you walk up to the old mill etc. It is interesting that it is above the level of the town so all waste is pumped up to it, treated and then released (I assume) into the river.

John
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=6190\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
John,

Yes I've seen it (on the way to the Old Mill) but assumed it was just a holding tank. Normally (i.e. in UK) solid and liquid would be separated and the liquid treated before discharge to a watercourse when clean. Perhaps one should not enquire too closely into Cretan practice!

Mike

Offline George

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Limani
« Reply #38 on: June 07, 2006, 01:35:55 PM »

John
John,

Yes I've seen it (on the way to the Old Mill) but assumed it was just a holding tank. Normally (i.e. in UK) solid and liquid would be separated and the liquid treated before discharge to a watercourse when clean. Perhaps one should not enquire too closely into Cretan practice!

Mike
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=6192\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I still think the wall looks OK  

george g...

Offline Santa

• Regulars
    • View Profile
Limani
« Reply #39 on: June 07, 2006, 02:39:52 PM »

John
John,

Mike

george g...
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=6193\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
George
Since you seem to be into the arts, I was wondering if you recently voted for Finland in the Eurovision contest?
Santa

Offline George

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Limani
« Reply #40 on: June 07, 2006, 02:50:31 PM »

John
John,

Mike

george g...
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=6193\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
George
Since you seem to be into the arts, I was wondering if you recently voted for Finland in the Eurovision contest?
Santa
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=6195\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Just trying to get your thread back!!  

re:EVSC nothing worth voting for but great entertainment  

george g...

Offline shinaria

• Regulars
    • AOL Instant Messenger - shinaria@aol.com
    • View Profile
    • http://www.reuters-design.de
    • Email
Limani
« Reply #41 on: June 08, 2006, 10:03:18 AM »
How to build a new harbour? Wolfgang Kistler has a gallery of photos showing the construction of the harbour in chora sfakion. I think it will be very much the same in Plakias...
And here is the link:
http://www.wkistler.de/snap2/Snapshots0509.html

Greecings
shinaria [two weeks to go...  ]

Offline Santa

• Regulars
    • View Profile
Limani
« Reply #42 on: June 08, 2006, 10:24:47 AM »
How to build a new harbour? Wolfgang Kistler has a gallery of photos showing the construction of the harbour in chora sfakion. I think it will be very much the same in Plakias...
And here is the link:
http://www.wkistler.de/snap2/Snapshots0509.html

Greecings
shinaria [two weeks to go...  ]
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=6205\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Shinaria- great photos- thank you- I suppose we will go through some of this, but let's face it, it is necessary and as these pictures show the end product will be very nice. The only thing I can add, my sources tell me that a condition on then contractor is that nothing is delivered by truck through town- everything arrives by boat and all materials are prepared on water- not land- Now, will there be some deviations- of course, but I am all in favor of this improvement.
Santa

Offline harribobs

• Regulars
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - harribobs
    • View Profile
    • http://themanchesters.org
    • Email
Limani
« Reply #43 on: August 08, 2006, 05:07:12 PM »
From the Crete Gazette

"Fishing port at Plakias"

"The new fishing port at Plakias, offering berths for 80 fishing boats large and small, will be ready in 2 years, aiding the development of fishing in this part of Crete. The harbour will accommodate professional and amateur vessels, ensuring a safe and easy approach and protection from bad weather.

The project will cost 4,306,375.16 euros, with 75% provided by EC funding and 25% by the Greek State. The harbour will conform to the natural environment and include the construction of a windward jetty 150 m. long, a lee jetty 80 m. long, breakwaters and the necessary shore facilities.

A road will also be constructed, connecting the port to the nearby Plakias-Souda road. "

Offline Santa

• Regulars
    • View Profile
Limani
« Reply #44 on: August 08, 2006, 07:47:46 PM »
Quote from: harribobs
From the Crete Gazette

"Fishing port at Plakias"

"The new fishing port at Plakias, offering berths for 80 fishing boats large and small, will be ready in 2 years, aiding the development of fishing in this part of Crete. The harbour will accommodate professional and amateur vessels, ensuring a safe and easy approach and protection from bad weather.

The project will cost 4,306,375.16 euros, with 75% provided by EC funding and 25% by the Greek State. The harbour will conform to the natural environment and include the construction of a windward jetty 150 m. long, a lee jetty 80 m. long, breakwaters and the necessary shore facilities.

A road will also be constructed, connecting the port to the nearby Plakias-Souda road. "
Harribobs- don't you just love the .16? -I mean this is Crete we are talking about- Anyway, this is a bit off this trail, but I could not find your earlier question on the rubber hoses in the walls of the church in Sellia. Here is the answer. A few years ago the church suffered some structural damage due to a distant earthquake. This is the final stage of repair. They will be forcing highstrength conrete into the wall through the tubes. Then the rest of the tubes will be cit off and a final mcoat of stocco will be applied. There you have it-
Santa