Author Topic: Newbie - couple of questions :)  (Read 4975 times)

Offline JulieB485

• MSN Messenger - Juliebotterill@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Juliebot
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - Juliebot1
    • View Profile
    • http://www.laceyandvanessa.homestead.com
    • Email
Newbie - couple of questions :)
« on: February 06, 2003, 05:43:08 PM »

Hi - have been reading everything with interest.
My boyfriend and I just booked a holiday to PLAKIAS for July / August and I have a couple of questions ... well actually I have LOADS but I will try to restrain myself

I am a BIG TIME animal lover and I am concerned about stray dogs and cats ... are there many in the area, wanting to know wso I can prepare myself mentally for it - and if there are ... is there an animal shelter in the area - if strays are a problem Id like to be able to maybe take some useful things over to donate to make myself hopefully not feel so bad about the animals - although I'm hoping there aren't too many  stray animals around  

Second question - sounds silly coming from an animal lover ... is it very "insecty"?
I hate big insects and those grasshopper things that you hear but never see and am allergic to bites - wondering how bad they tend to be over there.

Last one (for now)
Am staying in NIKOS STUDIOS which I am expecting will be pretty basic - would you think that it will be so warm I will want to take an electric fan over with me - I am not a fan of hot rooms at night time

Thanks for reading .... I am so looking forward to this trip,, not been anywhere like it before - generally just go to States but fancied a relaxing change!!!

Julie,
Manchester, UK
www.laceyandvanessa.homestead.com

Offline Susan K

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2003, 09:21:33 AM »
Hi Julie

You have made a great choice going to Plakias and no doubt you too will fall in love with it's people and sheer charm of the place!

I can really sympathise because like you I am an animal lover and yet despite this hate big insects. Cockroaches and flying beetles are my biggest fear and this has actually prevented me from going to some places that I would love to go to. However, let me assure you that you will be fine in Plakias as there isn't anything nasty to worry about. You will get the usual wasps on the beach or around the tavernas and yes you will hear those little insects (they really are not that big) in the olive trees the name of which I know but am unable to spell!  But that's pretty much it.  I have been going for years and never encountered anything more.

Now to your qestion about strays. Unfortuantely you will see stray cats but not many dogs. Most of the cats are near and around the bars and tavernas waiting for  tourists to feed them.  It breaks my heart to watch people putting down bowls of food at their apartments because they don't stop and think about what happens to the cats once they are gone. They can so easily lose their hunting ability during the summer months whilst being fed and then find it difficult during the winter months to find enough food. As far as I am aware there isn't an animal charity or shelter in the area.

I have stayed in the Nikos studios and they are handy for both the beach and the village. They are quite basic but very clean. We went in September and managed without a fan but June/July might be a different story so perhaps someone else can shed some light on this one.  

I know you will have a great time and if you have any more questions, ask away.

Susan

Offline ostraco

• Administrator
    • MSN Messenger - bbaazz@hotmail.com
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - FinikasUK
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to Plakias
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2003, 05:11:06 PM »
Hey Julie,
Don't restrain yourself - ask away.
Everyone in here loves talking about Plakias.

Susan's covered your first questions so well - what else do you need to know.....?
John - Ostraco

Offline compage

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://www.compage.com
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2003, 09:41:01 AM »
Hi Julie,

The insects you hear chirruping in the trees are cicadas and you are unlikely to see one never mind be bothered by one.

You are unlikely to be troubled in the daytime except perhaps on the beach when you are still wet after a post-swim shower.  Some large fly type things may try to drink from the drops of water on your skin and perhaps fancy a little meat at the same time.  They are easily shoo'd away.

You should be taking precautions against bites by the time the sun has nearly set.  Get an electric device for your room and keep it on all night.  You can buy them at home or at the resort and they take either tablets or liquid, depending on type.

When out in the evening, especially when there is little wind, avoid exposing large areas of skin and use an insect repellant containing a high percentage of deet.

Plakias is a wonderful place and is no better or worse for insects than many other places in the Mediterranean.

It is likely to be hot both day and night in August.  Try to avoid top floor rooms which are under a flat concrete roof.

There are few dogs around and those tend to be owned, well fed and wearing collars.

You'll see quite a few cats and sometimes they'll have kittens.  They work the tavernas, especially in the evenings.  Some people take dried cat food for them.  Don't forget they need water too.

Enjoy your holiday.
John Page

Offline JulieB485

• MSN Messenger - Juliebotterill@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Juliebot
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - Juliebot1
    • View Profile
    • http://www.laceyandvanessa.homestead.com
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2003, 05:24:45 PM »

Thanks for the info
I will not be panicking too badly about the insects then - although I bet I will still end up the best meal they have had all year LOL - I still have 76 scars from bites last August! (Sad aren't I to have counted!)
I'll invest in a bug buster thingy before we go then!

Glad stray dogs are not too much of a problem - will be extra nice to any cats we meet - maybe take some flea drops for them? I appreciate feeding them may not be a good idea coz they still have to cope over Winter so maybe get rid of a few itchies if they have them???

Glad to hear NIKOS place is clean - basic I am quite happy with - but was hoping it'd be OK
I am so excited - wish it was not so long away

Offline shinaria

• Regulars
    • AOL Instant Messenger - shinaria@aol.com
    • View Profile
    • http://www.reuters-design.de
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2003, 12:21:08 PM »
Dog, cats and flies...

There are diffferrent types of dogs to be met on the island. There are these "domestic dogs" hanging around the tavernas and sharing the food donations of the tourists with the cats. This does not mean that they don´t belong to anybody! The "cretean dog" is not used to be led around by his owner on a line through the streets or carried around as a toy.

The next category is the "working dog", a sheppard e.g.

If you are walking or cycling through Crete´s mountains you might meet the third form of dogs. They are wild animals and you should not try to pet or feed them. Stand still, pick a stone...

There is an organisation [called "ARCHE" I think,] collecting strayin´dogs from the island "to give them a better life". Most of them are castrated then to reduce the population in a human way. Some they transfer to Germany.
Coming myself from Aachen [Germany] let me say: I´d rather be a poor, free dog on crete than a well fed one here!

Offline Ploppy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hounslow Weather
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2003, 02:24:17 PM »
Hi Julie,

A couple of years ago I was in the same boat as you. 1st visit and asking questions to the regulars here. Will be going again at some stage this year for our 3rd visit.

Both our previous visits we have stayed at the Nikos studios and as Susan has said it is handy for the beach and is only 5 minutes walk (15 minutes stagger!) to the main bars/tavernas.

Last year we had a cat that would constantly pop in to our studio. We gave him lots of water and affection but were reluctant to feed him. I wonder if he will be there again this year.

Nikos the studios owner is very nice although I think he hated last years First Choice rep (but thats another story).

I'm sure you'll have a great time.

Ploppy