Author Topic: Visiting Plakias for the 1st time  (Read 5080 times)

Offline Blueflame

• MSN Messenger - jleechmere@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Visiting Plakias for the 1st time
« on: January 13, 2003, 04:16:35 PM »
Hi, I will be visiting Plakias for the 1st time in mid June.
I've booked with First Choice, flying from Bristol, and staying at the Costas Chrysoulla Studios.
From reading various messages on this site I made the choice of Plakias. We like fairly small and quiet resorts, but with enough choice of taverna's, restaurants, etc.
We like walking as a change from lazy days at the poolside or beach.
Last year we went to Scala, Kefalonia, which we thoroughly enjoyed.
Any tips as regards taverna's, sights to see, etc would be most appreciated.

Thanks
Blueflame  

Offline Allan Barham

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2003, 03:28:29 PM »
Believe me, you are going to have a great time.  Your first purchase has to be the 'Ten Walks in the Plakias Area' booklet available from most of the supermarkets.  If you fancy doing a bit of research before you get to Plakias, I believe that the walks are available in book form with maps direct from Marengo Publications (www.marengo.supanet.com) ISBN 1 900802 09 0

Everyone has their own favourite tavernas.  Personally I prefer the smaller family run establishments to some the larger businesses.  Medousa, Secret Nest, Lyssos, Ariadne and Sirroko rarely disappoint but I'm sure you will soon find others to add to the list.

Have a good trip,

Allan

Offline Susan K

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2003, 12:14:41 PM »
 Hi there, Add the village of Mirthios to your list of things to do. It is located high up in the hills behind Plakias. It is a lovely walk up during the day and will take about about 30 - 40 minutes. When you get to the top there are a couple of really good taverna's with spectacular views. On the way down near the bottom there is a stream which is icy cold and heaven to dip your toes in.
If you go up in the evening you can get there by taxi or take the little train which goes from Plakias. I would reccommend you take a jumper or sweatshirt if you go in the evening as it can get quite windy up there and a little chilly.

Have a great time

Offline Yvonne

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2003, 02:41:58 PM »
Hi

You will surely not regret Plakias as your choice for your holiday.  This year will be our 12th visit - and we are just newcomers!
Watch the sun going down over the Dragons Head while sipping a drink on the front.  Enjoy good food at any taverna, we recommend The Plakia in Myrthios for the food and the views, and also the Alianthos taverna in Plakias itself, not forgetting Manoussis - there are so many, all offering service wilth a smile.
Try the Palygremnos end of the beach (there is also a taverna), not forgetting Damnon's beautiful beach.  I could go on all day!  Enjoy!!
Yvonne

Offline Susan K

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2003, 05:29:43 PM »
Souda bay is another nice place to go. It is located about 3 k west of Plakias and is very quiet with clothing optional at one end. It has sunbeds and two small tavernas which are very good. You can walk or get a taxi but make sure you arrange a time to be collected. Don't worry if you forget, the taverna will order one for you as long as you have a drink with them first. Taxi will cost approx 4-5 euro each way. Makes a change from the main beach.

Susan

Offline ostraco

• Administrator
    • MSN Messenger - bbaazz@hotmail.com
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - FinikasUK
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to Plakias
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2003, 10:37:05 PM »
Hi All, and thanks for the postings!

I've been away working in London, and it was great to come home and see everyone sharing. Makes me think of the holiday ahead.

Personally, I look forward to sun and sea. Having been a few times now, I tend to just 'chill'. Start the day by Costas pool - lovely frappe - then a stroll to the beach.

Dinner is so difficult - so many choices. I love Platia in Mirthios too - but Sophia - especially if you can get a table right next to the beach is great.

We're hoping to get our bookings done soon - see you in Plakias....
..... and Blueflame - thanks for starting this topic, you've got us all thinking of forthcoming good times. You will have a great time - trust me  
John - Ostraco