Plakias > Plakias

first timers

(1/3) > >>

karen waugh:
Hi all, our first stay in Plakias this June, we are staying in Tasomanolis Studios for thirteen nights, (our first night spent at the Sofia Hotel in Heraklion..late flight arrival), pick up our hire car and tootle off towards Plakias, any advice for first timers would be more than welcome.
 I like to plonk myself on a sunbed and read,( I'm a nurse and this fortnight is to completely recharge my batteries)  watching the world go by, shuffle to a taverna for lunch and a mooch around the shops etc  and OH likes to wander off on local (hour long) walks.

we intend to use the car on alternate days to get out and about to local villages and visit the Matala festival on saturday 23rd June (led zep and AC/DC tribute bands :) ) we have stayed in Crete many times although have so far not travelled to Plakias and around xx

my husband also likes to scuba and snorkel, are there good places around the bay for this ??? many thanks xxx

JackieatUrbanAgenda:
Hi......I think the simple answer is 'you're going to love it' ! It is perfect for relaxing on the beach or round the pool (loads of sunloungers), fantastic tavernas (some really excellent food and a great welcome), a few shops and loads of walks of all sorts of lengths and types. If you don't mind not having the loungers there are some amazing secluded beaches (some of which are clothes optional). There's nothing like lazing in a warm sea, looking up and watching an eagle flying above you.....or, better still, being woken up by the cry of an eagle hunting. It is that peaceful.....even though there is music and entertainment if you want it...a sort of all inclusive resort in one village.

The two closest villages Sellia and Mirthios, are well worth a visit...especially for dinner at sunset overlooking the bay and you have some lovely places to visit...including Preveli (both the palm beach and the monastery) and the local life museum at Asomatos. Along the coast, going west, are the villages of Rhodakino (split in two by an earthquake), the Imbros Gorge, the fortress at Frangokastello and, eventually, the port of Chora Sphakia (ferry to Samaria). There are some great tours on offer too if you decide you don't want to drive and the bus can get you in to Rethymnon. Matala has a great vibe to it too so enjoy that....oh, and it's always worth having a closer look at the two gorges that lead in to Plakias...some amazing landscapes.

There is a Dive School on the seafront at Plakias so it might be best to ask for advice on the best places to scuba but there are some excellent reef structures and if you take the road out of Plakias, there is the tiny hamlet of Souda which has a great beach and cave swimming (did that a few years ago).

I'm not going to recommend anywhere to eat or drink in particular as they are all excellent and it's just a matter of seeing what they offer. and what you fancy..... I really hope you enjoy it.

It will be my 31st visit when I get back there in September......so, like me, you'll be hooked hopefully ! Enjoy !

Colin & Sandra:
31 Times!!!

That's 62 trips through Bali.

:D

JackieatUrbanAgenda:
Yup and, boy, has that place changed !...in fact, back in 1987 when I first landed I don't think there was anywhere to stay in the village so we didn't stop there. It is 62 x+ though the gorge(s) though. You'd think I was used to it by now but it gets me every time !

karen waugh:
thanks Jackie and especially the advice re; the cave swimming for him xxx it all sounds perfect xx

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version