Author Topic: Olympic Loyalty Bonus (or not)  (Read 8397 times)

Offline JBMouse

• View Profile
    • Email
Olympic Loyalty Bonus (or not)
« on: November 07, 2015, 06:29:30 PM »
We have been considering our holiday options for 2016, Plakias? Lesvos? or Agios Nikolaos near Kalamata, Peloponnese. Price is a large consideration, so travelling with Thomas Cook again to Lesvos is out of the question as they want nearly £1000 for 1 week S/C for 2 people in late June. Plakias is an acceptable price for the same time and period, but as we will probably be there in October, two visits in 1 year could be called greedy. Agios Nikolaos is somewhere we have never visited, but the description of a small, quiet Greek fishing village, requiring a basic grasp of the language would appear to be exactly what we want. So, who goes there? Only Thomas Cook and Olympic. Thomas Cook have excelled themselves and want OVER £1000 for 1 week S/C for 2 people in late June, whereas Olympic, at a different accommodation are quoting on their website a price of £530 for the same week, but excluding transfers, which I can buy directly from the Taxi company for £100, so total £630. Good, I thought, a phone call to Olympic, let them see my numerous holidays with them each year for the past 20 years, and, hey presto, my friends and family discount (given freely for many years past) will reduce my costs some more, enough perhaps for travel insurance, or a few litres of wine with our meals out, but NO, Olympic offer loyalty points now, so how many hundreds of points do I have after all the past holidays I asked - none, nil, zero, nothing was the reply!!!! So much for Loyalty Points, perhaps there is a Trades Description breach? Olympic explained that points are only earned if the past holidays cost more than £300 per person, so there you have it, over a barrel, a bit unimpressed with Olympic, but heyho, off to Greece again.

If anyone has been to Agios Nikolaos before, any pointers would be gratefully received.

Offline Ian+?

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Olympic Loyalty Bonus (or not)
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2015, 10:28:33 AM »
moved to more relevant thread in "Where to go" section
« Last Edit: November 09, 2015, 10:31:25 AM by Ian+? »

Offline JackieatUrbanAgenda

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2015, 08:36:18 PM »
OK......despite having spent more than £300 per person for more than a few years without any hint of a 'loyalty bonus' (and no vouchers in resort this year) I thought I'd be cheeky and challenge Olympic on their Black Friday deals........glad I did ! Nearly £300 off an original quote and now looking forward to three weeks in Plakias for the price of two....with that on offer I'd even consider putting up with the 3.5 hr transfer ! Nearly a year to wait but will be celebrating both our birthdays there in 2016 !!!!

Offline JBMouse

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2015, 03:00:46 PM »
Ooooh, what have I missed? Am I too late (no, jump up on the cart!)(apologies to Lonnie Donegan)
What time of year are you booked to go? We like to go in October, but this year the latest date is leaving Gatwick on 4th. October, a little earlier than previously, perhaps Olympic would do a deal for that week? Must try & 'phone them, but well done to you.

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2015, 09:23:00 PM »
For years we've either spent my birthday or my husband's birthday in Plakias....this year we'll be there for both.....so anyone planning to be there between 7th and 27th Sept we'll see you at the pool bar. I responded to emails I was getting from Olympic but you never know......like many others they may have extended Black Friday in to Black 'the next ten days'...it is always worth trying and being cheeky...especially if you have booked with them before.

Offline Mike G

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2015, 02:18:16 PM »
Olympic did have some Black Friday deals (which went through until Monday) knocking £50 off the price, but most were only for 7 night holidays. Having been to Plakias with Olympic for about 10 years now I know what to expect price-wise and have so far struggled to get anywhere near that price. This hasn't been helped by Olympic not starting their Gatwick charters until May 24th (i.e. half-term), although you can go earlier to some accommodations from May 3 but with no transfer (they will book you one for £103 each way). My normal accommodation starts 3 weeks later than usual as well. Maybe they will have some good deals over Christmas and New Year.

Re. Loyalty Bonus, these seem to have replaced the system where regulars could negotiate a reduction based on their Olympic booking record and how cheeky they were prepared to be. LBs can disappear without trace though as others have found.

I'm sure I'm not the only one wishing that another main-stream UK tour operator would feature Plakias to compete with Olympic, although the distance from the airport probably means no one will. However, as others have commented, it is that distance which has helped Plakias retain the character we all love.

Offline ian s

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2015, 02:56:20 PM »
Why not go independent?  We have for last 15 years or so and even more choice of flights now with easyjet etc.  And you can book the accommodation you want.

Offline Barny

• Regulars
  • Have I seen you in Kyma?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2015, 09:39:25 PM »
That's what I do too.
Fancy a Mythos?

Offline Richard

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2015, 06:58:59 PM »
We've been doing the same these last few years.

Don't expect package-priced bargains (although looking at some of the quotes above, perhaps you might after all!) but we fly BA to Heraklion, taxi to Plakias, and then stay at Skinos, all for what we consider to be a good price, bearing in mind we can come and go as we please - not having to choose 7/14/21 etc nights - and stay where we please, without the coach transfer.   

That said, if I ever go for longer than ~14 days I'll look at the public transport options, which I have found to be excellent o even the smallest Greek islands, partly to save some lolly but mainly to add to the holiday.

Richard

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2015, 11:31:48 AM »
We've travelled independently a couple of times and considered it for this year's 3 week stay but, being on a limited budget, we had to consider costs which is why I decided to be cheeky and challenge Olympic. Compared with the basic needs (flights, accommodation, transfer and our need to get from Plymouth to Gatwick) the Olympic price really came out on top so they're not always that bad. This will definitely give us some spending money too !

Offline Mike G

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2015, 12:38:44 PM »
I think that when Olympic introduced the Loyalty payments they were awarded for all holidays over £250. When I booked last week I was told that it is now over £400, so what qualified a couple of months ago won't qualify now. Also I suspect that the amount of the bonus has drastically reduced since they introduced them in the summer of 2014.

On a brighter note, Olympic have now brought the booking window for Gatwick Germania flights, and also the dates for my preferred accommodation, forward to May 10th.

Offline John R

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fluteweb.net
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2015, 10:53:26 PM »

On a brighter note, Olympic have now brought the booking window for Gatwick Germania flights, and also the dates for my preferred accommodation, forward to May 10th.

That is certainly good news for you after your long campaign. Unfortunately that is the day we leave so we won't see you as we did on our last Greek Esster visit.

Offline Arnaki

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2017, 11:07:14 AM »
I recently booked a holiday to Plakias with Olympic and asked about the loyalty scheme they used to have. I was told that they hope to introduce another scheme shortly. I thought the news might interest people here, if it does come about.