Author Topic: How long from Heraklion to Plakias  (Read 3333 times)

Offline Haze

• View Profile
    • Email
How long from Heraklion to Plakias
« on: July 31, 2003, 05:43:45 PM »
We are thinking of booking our holiday today and spending the first week in Plakias and the second up in Gournes(where we have been before).  We will be travelling with a three month old baby, so we are a bit concerned about the transfer time from the airport.  Especially after a four hour flight.  Could someone tell me what the transfer time is by the tour companys coach and how much time it will take if we hire a car and drive.

Offline ostraco

• Administrator
    • MSN Messenger - bbaazz@hotmail.com
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - FinikasUK
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to Plakias
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2003, 06:06:29 PM »
The tour companies vary so much, according to how many other drops the coaches make along the way. I would say allow at least 3 hours.

You can drive it in half that time - or consider a taxi. These are easy to pick up at the airport - just agree the price first! I can't remember what the set fair is, but I know it's on display inside the airport - or one of the regulars here will remind us.
John - Ostraco

Offline Allan Barham

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2003, 07:16:48 PM »
You can pre-book a taxi with Anso Travel or Motoplakias.  Last year the fare was about 60 Euro each way.  You may find that it costs little more to hire a car from Anso for three days, picking it up at Heraklion and leaving it at Plakias which is our preferred option.  If you havn't been to Plakias before you will find that the route from the Airport is quite straightforward - but do be on the lookout for radar speed traps on the North coastal road!

Have a great time,

Allan

Offline John R

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fluteweb.net
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2003, 10:14:52 PM »
I agree with the comments about transfers. The luggage handling at Heraklion is dreadfully slow and the transfers to Plakias can take a long time thereafter - at least 3 hours. That is about the only minus asociated with going to Plakias (via package deals anyway)

If you are indeed thinking of hiring a car anyway then DO pick it up at the airport and return it there effecting your own transfers. As commented above it is a straightforward drive to Plakias. You don't have to drive thro Heraklion. I don't think Anso will include the airport to/from for less than one week's hire.

John R