login

Author Topic: "Village Store" closes ....  (Read 25300 times)

Offline Barny

• Regulars
  • Have I seen you in Kyma?
    • View Profile
    • Email
"Village Store" closes ....
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2008, 07:30:03 PM »
Why ?
Fancy a Mythos?

Offline dimitri

• Regulars
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2008, 09:58:02 AM »
eerrr,coz their Cretins and everyone else is not.I wanted to start a taxi biz running people to the airports back in the day,but was warned against it by all of the locals.They saw it as taking money from local people that was theirs by right.In the interests of local politics i and peace and quiet i gave up.I speak Greek and lived with the bastards and they still didnt want me taking their money.I still love em though.
If you try to start any kind of biz in Greece,Crete is about the hardest place to do it.Remember they aint like us!

Offline George

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2008, 10:26:30 AM »
Quote from: dimitri
nothing changes round plak,this has been going on since god knows when.They will only put up with you whilst your usefull.The Cretan mafia lives on.
Well that lifted to tone of the thread dimitri.

george g...

Offline dimitri

• Regulars
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2008, 10:32:49 AM »
sorry George but the truth often hurts.Its not a theme park,its their reality.Life is still pretty tough for a lot of them.

Offline George

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2008, 10:53:24 AM »
Quote from: dimitri
sorry George but the truth often hurts.Its not a theme park,its their reality.Life is still pretty tough for a lot of them.
I think we all realise that and what goes on down there, but we're concerned about Dave and Ali's welfare and their futures, not the reasons for their demise!

george g...

Offline dimitri

• Regulars
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2008, 02:32:15 PM »
you cant live on sunshine,and its hard to swim with an empty belly.I can earn more in a week than a month out there,i learnt that after two weeks on Crete,some take a little longer.I stayed for two years coz i liked the place not to make money.I came home skint but brown with great memories.At least we can fly out if the going gets tough,they dont have much option!

Offline George

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2008, 02:39:13 PM »
You're still missing the point dimitri!!

george g...

Offline dimitri

• Regulars
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2008, 02:53:53 PM »
ok ok,i wish them well,and hope they find what their looking for.I still question the wisdom of starting anything in plak or anywhere within 500 miles.I saw too many broken dreams and it made my heart hard to all of it.All that glitters etc .

Offline Kerstin

• Regulars
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2008, 07:59:14 PM »

Sorry, Dimitri, it is very difficult to follow up your remarks.
Maybe, it could be a reason. I am from Germany and I do not know where do you come from?
Are you really from England? Do you love Crete or not?

I understood your dreams are broken. I believe you are very frustrated.
You should not carry over your bad experience.

I hope Ali and Dave will have a chance for a new start in Plakias. And I am admire the courage as to do something like this in a forgein country.

Offline dimitri

• Regulars
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2008, 08:20:44 PM »
Quote from: Kerstin
Maybe, it could be a reason. I am from Germany and I do not know where do you come from?

I hope Ali and Dave will have a chance for a new start in Plakias. And I am admire the courage as to do something like this in a forgein country.
My dreams aint broke babe,i love crete but i know the reality,unlike most of the tourists.
I saw many ali and daves in my time on Crete,life goes on and i am sure they will be stonger for this experience.
Fraid i am from England,there were quite a few German ali and daves too.One of the most succesful was Wolfgang from Mirthios who with his sisters money bought up a few houses but was still hated by everyone of the locals.He sure had a thick skin and was doing better than most,nice guy on the quiet.

Offline dimitri

• Regulars
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2008, 08:21:16 PM »

My dreams aint broke babe,i love crete but i know the reality,unlike most of the tourists.
I saw many ali and daves in my time on Crete,life goes on and i am sure they will be stonger for this experience.
Fraid i am from England,there were quite a few German ali and daves too.One of the most succesful was Wolfgang from Mirthios who with his sisters money bought up a few houses but was still hated by everyone of the locals.He sure had a thick skin and was doing better than most,nice guy on the quiet.

Offline dimitri

• Regulars
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2008, 08:22:25 PM »
oops!

Offline travellingran

• Sponsors
    • View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2008, 09:21:21 PM »

Kerstin is on the right track here. I have been reading the rantings of 'Dimitri' with interest.
He is much too impertinent to be English. In fact he is extremely rude . I am sure the majority of seasoned travellers to Greece and particularly Plakias are not under the impression that the streets of Crete are paved with gold. That is what uneducated foreigners think England is.
His mastery of the English language also leaves much to be desired . He calls Cretans 'Cretins'. That is a mistake  no self respecting English speaker would ever make without checking the correct grammar.

The profile of Dimitri states that throwing rocks at tourists and shooting guns at random amuses him. This sums him up really as an embittered loser trying desperately to be accepted. He really  should not project his bitterness onto others .

I also speak Greek fluently but do not expect to be accepted as 'one of them' on the basis of this alone. Not all Cretans are the same nor as insular. My neighbours are Greek. Both highly educated - one , an opthalmologist from Thessaloniki  (working at our local hospital ) , together with his wife , a foreign language teacher, from Paleochora. They met at university in Athens and are in England to earn as much as they can and gain qualifications not available to them in Athens. They will return to Greece with valuable contributions to their chosen profession. . Both of them are really horrified on reading the remarks of ' Dimitri '. They say it gives a very bad impression of the true character of Greeks and indeed , Cretans. I know English people who have gained valuable education and much more by living in Greece. None of them are bitter and certainly did not expect to be thought of as 'Greek'.

'Dimitri' seems to think that all foreigners and tourists are ignorant of the different culture. He is very , very wrong. Most visitors to the likes of Plakias have a very good knowledge of the differing cultures and are sympathetic to the peoples and surroundings. In other words, educated.

I am a lawyer and therefore use 200 words when one  will do but I would ask'Dimitri' or whatever his name is to think carefully before he insults other people's intelligence and questions  their lifestyle choices.

Travellingran
« Last Edit: November 10, 2008, 09:22:59 PM by travellingran »

Offline Ali & Dave

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2008, 12:02:18 PM »
Dimitri

It's obvious that whilst you were here you never got to understand the local culture and maybe that'swhy you left.  When you said you wanted to run a 'taxi' service to the airport only during the day, are you talking about actually going through all the licensing required for proper taxi drivers or just trying to scam some money.

We are not hated here and after 6 years of a lot of hard work there are many people here who have huge respect for us and we will continue to live here.  Yes, I could go back to UK and earn 3 or 4 times the amount but the quality of live here, for me, is much better and what is money at the end of the day.

You constantly put negative comments on the board and I know talking to people during the summer we're bored of it.  Maybe you could keep your negative comments to yourself and let the rest of us enjoy the Plakias we love.

Offline Chris H.

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2008, 12:22:40 PM »
Hear, hear......
Chris H.