login

Manoussos
Submitted By: Mike from Sussex Date: September 22, 2006, 03:15:05 PM Views: 1119

Located a hundred yards or so behind the Lamon Hotel.

Ate there once in September 2006.

This was positively our worst experience of the holiday (and that includes taxi rides!)

Ordered soup and fried aubergine, then stifado and moussaka, with a carafe of red wine.

The wine arrived, the colour of cold tea, cloudy and not tasting great.

My wife’s soup arrived, but no aubergine. “Where is my aubergine?” – “We have to cook it” – “Why serve the soup before the aubergine is cooked?” – shrug. Wait a few minutes, then wife starts on the soup before it goes cold. Wife finishes soup – “Where is the aubergine?” – “Being cooked”.

Eventually aubergine turns up. Having eaten two slices, stifado is served. “I have only just got the aubergine!” – shrug. Eat aubergine whilst watching stifado cool. Finish aubergine, but no sign of moussaka – wife says start on stifado before it goes stone cold. Finish stifado – “Where is the Moussaka?” – “Coming”.

Staff go into a huddle, then the moussaka arrives – wife tastes – stone cold. Call for moussaka to be heated. Taken away and comes back in three minutes, smouldering after a blast in the microwave.

Each of us have watched the other have dinner, but we have only shared the bread.

Melon and raki arrive – “Hope you enjoyed your meal” – we look around for signs of Basil Fawlty, but he must have been in the office.

Rating: ** by 1 members.
Comments
Graham_and_Karen
Regulars

View Profile Email
September 25, 2008, 09:14:54 PM
This year we went back to Manousos - partly to see if the evening would be as entertaining as last year. Much to our surprise, there were no incidents, just good food, nice music and a relaxed atmosphere. We had another meal there later in the holiday when it was windy on the front. Although it's right next to Medusa it has the advantage that the under cover section is more sheltered. Another good, relaxed evening - now one of our favourites
ChrisNJulie

View Profile WWW Email
June 25, 2008, 09:25:05 PM
We ate there twice and I have to say with some misgivings afetr seeing some of the comments.  We had no problems at all. The owner was a little quircky to be sure but had a very good sense of humour and the waitress (daughter?) we thought probably had learning difficulties (in the modern parlance) so that might explain her demeanour but she was very polite. Yes, there are better places to eat but the garden surroundings are nicer than next door but the menu not as good.

November 15, 2007, 04:31:50 PM
Determined not to be influenced by adverse reports, we ventured to Manoussos this September. Having asked for a carafe of wine "now" as we were thirsty our host told us that he had other customers. Mmm it didn't improve.
The taverna was about half full but no customers were tucking in with gusto. The service was so slow that a party of 4 who came in after us waited 1/4 hour to be approached and then left. If it weren't so sad it would have been funny. The waitress (a teenager) seemed to be suffering from lack of sleep and not quite on this planet. The waiter (early 20s?) just hadn't got the hang of table numbers. Every entrance from the kitchen was a new adventure for him as with a hopeful look he wandered past each non-eating guest with a vague offer of the dish he was holding.
This took some time as there were plenty of non-eaters
Very few plates around us were being left clean but I did finish my soup ... I was hungry
Having ordered lamb from the grill and a pork chop we were surprised at the time it took to be served as the the lamb was already looking well done when we arrived. Wouldn't you think that it would be normal practice to take meat off the spit when it finished cooking? Not here... the charred remains of what could have been a good meal arrived having been assaulted with salt judging from the taste. No herbs, no pepper, no hint of Greek cuisine.
 The animals at our lodgings ate well the next morning.
We forgive easily in Plakias but the incredible rudeness of the proprietor exceeded any pity we might have felt except for the poor animal which was killed to produce that fiasco of a meal
We came away with the impression that Brits were not really welcome there and left a restaurant for the first time ever without leaving a tip.
This place does not deserve to stay in business
formiman

View Profile WWW Email
September 27, 2007, 01:18:36 PM
we have been there in may 2006: it was quiet, ca 20 guests, the service was very kindly, very quick, the stifado and the other meal have been excellent and wine, water and finally raki too.

so in october this year we look forward to out next visit here.

we had not to camplain anything
Graham_and_Karen
Regulars

View Profile Email
September 23, 2007, 11:25:05 AM
Mike mentions Basil Fawlty in his review. We thought the owner was just like Manuel. Our experience was, thankfully, better and the food was good but we were lucky that we didn't get there until 9.45pm when the rush was over. We were able to relax and what the goings on around us.

First a couple dared to ask 'Manuel' when they might get their food as they had been waiting an hour. His reply - 'You Wait!', then when they said they thought an hour was long enough, he repeated 'You wait - it's cooking' at which point he dashed back to the grill. As well as cooking the meat he also does the bills, moves plates from one table to another and seems unable to delegate. There was a mix up with one of the bills at which point he abandoned the grill going over to a couple of tables with the friendly words 'You tell me what you eat!'. He was clearly not wanting to engage in idle chit chat because he emphasised - 'Just tell me what you eat'. Meanwhile the waitress had gone over to the grill to attend to the smoking meat. She'd just picked up the tongs when 'Manuel' spotted her and shoo'ed her away. At one point he put meat on a plate then started to take it to the kitchen to have veg. added - reasonable enough except that he stopped on the way, picked up some empty plates from one table, put them on another then came back from the kitchen with coffees for another table while other staff were left doing nothing and the grill was left unattended.
As I say, our food was good and we were served quickly. The atmosphere was good as well but the owner really needs to accept that he can't do everything - he seemed a bundle of nerves. The staff were well used to this so let him get on with it.

A shame. We will definitely go there again but only if we see that it's very quiet.