login

Gorgona
Submitted By: Mike from Sussex Date: September 22, 2006, 03:08:34 PM Views: 994

Had dinner here once in September 2006.

Taverna is on the front, by the port. The owner is very welcoming and friendly.

Had fried courgettes and onion soup, followed by sea bass, with a carafe of wine. Bill was under €25, so suspect the fish was farmed. The food was very good and a nice touch was provision of hot toast and butter, rather than dry bread.

Had lunch on our last day. The Cretan omelette was huge and liberally covered in crumbled feta â€" under €4 as well.

Rating: **** by 2 members.
Comments
Ali & Dave
Regulars

View Profile WWW Email
March 29, 2016, 03:39:27 PM
We use this taverna a lot and really enjoy it.  The main waiter is now Goran (Yiorgos) but the owner, Kosta (from Kostas Xrysoula) often pops in to help and say hello.  We have never had a bad meal here.
windmill1395

View Profile Email
August 28, 2012, 06:35:23 AM
I think that Gorgona is worthy of an update for 2012. I have been a frequent visitor this August and have only positive things to say about this restaurant. I dont know who the owner is but the main part of the restaurant facing the sea is worked by Giorgos and Babis, who are both very welcoming and hard working waiters. You can get really good 3 course deals for under 10e and I particularly recommend the fish course which includes the fish soup and mixed plate of fried fish which has mussels and prawns as well as squid, octopus and sardines. This is with a drink thrown in too, wine, beer or retsina if you ask. (I cant drink retsina anywhere else but in Greece it just seems so right with the food). Absolutely delicious and great value for money. Worth a try if you are on a budget.
ShirT

View Profile Email
July 11, 2008, 07:05:37 PM
We were there on Saturday 28th June this year. Service is very slow, and food indifferent. Worst part was waiting 50 minutes for the bill and it wasn't just us. Lots of other patrons were shouting for theirs. We both thought the staff were drunk. Friends of ours went there the following Saturday, had exactly the same experience and we hadn't told them about our unfortunate night there. We won't be going back.
Noopsy
Sponsors

View Profile Email
August 13, 2007, 12:49:42 PM
I had a "Gorgona" (seafood) salad for starters which was very nice.  For the main dish I had Plakias fish from the oven which was OK but a little too salty for my taste.  They serve draught Mythos here, and I had 1/2 l.  Service here is variable:  there was a couple at the next table who - having arrived before me - were still waiting for their main meal after I had finished mine, and I don't eat fast.  The bill came to €14.40, and arrived with melon and ouzo.