login

Author Topic: ATM in Plakias  (Read 4219 times)

Offline B.Edelsten

• View Profile
    • Email
ATM in Plakias
« on: December 30, 2009, 09:00:27 PM »
Greetings,

Next year, for the first time since 198? something, we are going to Plakias for two weeks. Since I will (or should) not be taking loads of cash, I will need to use the ATM machine at the town hall. What cards does it take. Or more specifically, does it take Mastercard debit cards.

Thanks for the photos taken in December - it is so green.

Regards to all Plakias regulars

Bruce

Offline Steve Jones

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
ATM in Plakias
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2009, 10:12:18 PM »
Hi Bruce,

We have used cash cards in the atm's in Plakias for the last four years. There are at least three to choose from including the one next to the town hall.

The others are along the main stretch of buildings heading towards the Alianthos beach and there is one on the corner of the mini island next to the Alianthos Beach Hotel.

I had a problem with getting cash out of the Town Hall ATM a few years ago, when I tried to take 40 euros out and it never gave me any  money but still debited my account!

Have a great time!

Steve

Offline Colin & Sandra

• View Profile
    • Email
ATM in Plakias
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2010, 03:00:02 PM »
Does anyone know what the approx. cost of using the ATM's is, we're undecided whether we will take all Euros with us, or just a few and draw the rest out as we need it.
We seem to remember using a machine in Paros a few years ago and getting ridicules charges

Many thanks

Colin & Sandra

Offline jann

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
ATM in Plakias
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2010, 04:47:08 PM »
Quote from: Colin & Sandra
Does anyone know what the approx. cost of using the ATM's is, we're undecided whether we will take all Euros with us, or just a few and draw the rest out as we need it.
We seem to remember using a machine in Paros a few years ago and getting ridicules charges

Many thanks

Colin & Sandra

If I were you I would check out Martin Lewis's money site. Using certain cards could cost more than you think

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/cheap-travel-money

Have a great time, Jann  

Offline B.Edelsten

• View Profile
    • Email
ATM in Plakias
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2010, 05:56:19 PM »
We were in Plakias from 1 - 14 May. Although we took some money I anticipated having to use the ATMs later on. I started to get worried as the time when I would need to use an ATM approached because the one at the town hall and one futher along had "ATM out of action" notices on them and the one at the Alianthos hotel was off or rebooting (and showing the Windows XP Telly Tubbies hill plus an egg time - not reassuring). The one that was in action, by a car hire shop, didn't take my Mastercard debit card or my Mastercard credit card.  Eventually, a few days later and down to €50, I observed someone testing the Alianthos one sucessfully (having got some money out then gettings some more) so I did likewise.

The answer to the question: how much was I charged? There was a £1.50 transaction charge.

Plan B had been to go to Rethymno.

Plan C, never enacted, was to eat and drink less.

Regards,
Bruce Edelsten

Offline Graham_and_Karen

• Regulars
    • Facebook
    • Google+
    • View Profile
    • Email
ATM in Plakias
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2010, 09:20:45 PM »
C&S - definitely checking out the info on moneysavingexpert.com, as jann says. Nationwide and Santander Zero debit cards have no charge, and, just as importantly, give you a good exchange rate; better than you'd get exchanging money. Even if the ATMs play up, you can always use them in the restaurants (we avoid this if poss. though, so the locals don't have to pay the bank's commission)