Author Topic: Hello - and ATM  (Read 3052 times)

Offline Newbear

• View Profile
    • Email
Hello - and ATM
« on: May 02, 2016, 04:26:06 PM »
Hello Plakias fans,

I last visited Plakias about thirty years ago. It was Easter, the weather was mixed and we had a great time helping a group of young people who were running a taverna to dig a bbq pit for roasting a lamb.

So I am intrigued to see how the place has changed when my brother and I visit next week.

One thing I would appreciate a heads up on is whether there is a functioning ATM in Plakias these days. I read different guidance and some seems quite old. Can anyone give an up to date answer?

Any other tips also greatly appreciated.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 06:20:09 PM by Newbear »

Offline JackieatUrbanAgenda

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Hello - and ATM
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2016, 11:16:19 AM »
Hi, I first visited thirty years ago too and I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.....very little has changed with the exception of the new taverna areas on the seafront....caused by the fire last year that decimated them. A few things have changed - more satellite dishes and better TV and wifi coverage than we get here at home ! But otherwise still the same lovely place.
From memory and last year's visit tere are two working ATMs...on at the end of the village by the entrance to the Alianthos Hotel and one in the middle of the seafront....next to the fish spa (I think). They are as usual very popular but seem to be kept full these days and are usually working but....this is Plakias.....so have a contingency just in case. You can still change travellers cheques and I think most people will accept the cards that you can load up with euros.......so some advances have been made. Have a great time !

Offline Voloudakis

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2016, 12:20:27 PM »
Hi 😀.
As has been said, Plakias is still a great place. A few changes since you last visited. New harbour just outside and a fair few apartments built along and above the road to Souda beach. There are now two Tavernas ( both good) and a beach bar at Souda beach. Plakias itself has several new hotels and apartments behind and again up the hill. You will also notice some old favourite eating and dancing places missing but new ones have appeared. The far end ( Paligremnos ) has several new apartments. Damnoni beach has been very developed with a big complex by Hapimag but is the place to go for watersports. We never use this beach anymore. Other beaches have a little development but are pretty unspoilt. As a whole Plakias remains one of the best places on Crete for people wanting a good time without awful Eurostyle nightclubs, Brit and Irish Theme bars and awful full English breakfast everywhere.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 12:22:05 PM by Voloudakis »

Offline Newbear

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2016, 10:22:36 PM »
Thanks for this info on the ATMs and for reassurance on how the 'old Plakias' survives. I must say we are really looking forward to arriving...

Offline Newbear

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2016, 01:42:18 PM »
It's a long time since I visited Plakias back in May but just to come back on the forum and say that we had a wonderful time and that, from my perspective, the essential characteristics of Plakias really have survived the last thirty years. Yes, there have been changes, the main of which is that building is much more extensive than it was in the 1980s - but somehow the atmosphere is still as charming. Shame about Damoni beach though, I remember it as quite idyllic. But the large number of good places to eat in Plakias is actually a delight. And no problems with ATMs at all!

We had a great time, including walking along the coast to Prevelli, getting lost a lot and taking nine hours for the round trip. Very satisfying walk though, even if the tracks wind about a bit along the valleys running up from the sea and make it a much, much longer walk than it would seem if you just go on the point to point distance.