Author Topic: It's tradition  (Read 5074 times)

Offline ostraco

• Administrator
    • MSN Messenger - bbaazz@hotmail.com
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - FinikasUK
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to Plakias
    • Email
It's tradition
« on: August 15, 2003, 11:18:41 PM »
There are so many good places to eat in Plakias. Earlier this year we were there for 2 weeks. The only places we ate at twice were Sophia (on the front), Gio Mar and (shame I can't remember the name) that place where Gina works and they do Morocan food, just up the road from Ali and Dave's supermarket.

First and last meals were in Sophia. That's the tradition bit. It always used to be Glaros, but since Nikos moved on, we've followed him to Sophia.

Apart from the 3 above, places I will revisit:

Castro, looking over the village and worth the walk
Lysseos, just by the bridge - get there early, as it's always busy, and some of the specials run out!
Ariadne - just cause it's great there
Christos - no one can get enough of the shrimp saganaki

Out of town, Platia in Mirthios - get there early and watch the sunset.
& take a taxi up to Selia and eat in the town taverna. This is a great little place, now run by Manolis that used to work in Ostraco. Limited menu, but great food.

And with our forthcoming meal in mind - I will admit I've never eaten in Medusa.
John - Ostraco

Offline John R

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fluteweb.net
    • Email
It's tradition
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2003, 07:47:04 PM »
We eat all the time at Medusa but have every reason to believe that all the other (many) places are more than excellent. We are just creatures of habit and with me being a food fad I'm not adventerous. I find that Medusa suits my faddy diet well and more importantly is 100% ok with my wife - who loves Greek food. It is rare that we can both be 100% satisfied when eating together and we dont like eating seperately !!!  - either she suffers (I don't like that) or I do - which is less important. However Medusa just happens to suit us both fine and Babis the owner now knows my fads and accommodates them with a (knowing) smile.

John R

Offline John R

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fluteweb.net
    • Email
It's tradition
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2003, 07:56:42 PM »
John - can you claifiy which is the "Town Taverna" in Selia. We often find ourselves walking through there at a lunchtime and one taverna shut down (in October) and another seemed a bit small though welcoming - we were not sure about their food range etc.

John R

Offline Ploppy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hounslow Weather
    • Email
It's tradition
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2003, 08:13:14 PM »
Sorry John but we nicked your tradition and also wound up in Glaros on the first and last nights, I guess we'll be switching to Sofia as well.

Medousa is one of our favourites as well, good food and a very friendly Babbis.

I'll second Ariadne, again good food.

How about Secret Nest, limited menu but worth the visit I would say.

Has anyone tried that taverna that is on the road out of town which sits on the junction to where the little road goes up and around the back of the campsite, cant remember the name but we passed it every day. Never seemed particularly busy.

Last year we only ended up going to about 4 tavernas, must be more adventurous this time.

Marge was very disappointed when we went to Christos as there were no more prawn saganaki left, I seemed to remember a certain someone telling us that he and his friends had been in there earlier and had eaten them all!

Offline ostraco

• Administrator
    • MSN Messenger - bbaazz@hotmail.com
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - FinikasUK
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to Plakias
    • Email
It's tradition
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2003, 01:07:19 AM »
I'm a great one for tradition Ploppy. I can say for certain (air traffic controller permitting) we will be in Sophia on August 26th. SOmebody warn Nikos to put the Raki in the freezer!

Secret Nest is great for fish eaters - it's the sort of place to ask about the specials rather than stick to the menu!

Many apologies to Marge about the prawns! I'm sure you'll make up for it this year!
John - Ostraco

Offline Karen T

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
It's tradition
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2003, 07:24:17 PM »
It's traditional for us to eat first and last nights at Finikas Taverna - on the hill above Plakias and with the best views of the bay bar that from Plateia in Mirthios.  Kostas and Maria are very laid back and regulars to Finikas know to expect to be told what to eat as there isn't a menu and you take pot luck on what's on each day.  Having said that, everything is wonderful - if you get a chance, sample Maria's octopus stifado - I wasn't keen at first but it turned out to be absolutely gorgeous!!  

Offline Stuart

• View Profile
    • Email
It's tradition
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2003, 09:28:10 PM »
Just goes to show the different experiences people can have in the same village.  Over our six nights in Plakias, we found the following:

Tuesday - Mouses - good food, good value, good service
Wednesday - Harakas - OK food, good value, OK service
Thursday - Lysseos - great food, good value, great service
Friday - Lysseos - so impressed, we went again
Saturday - Kri Kri - OK food, OK value, good service
Sunday - Sofias - poor food, OK value, OK service

We also liked Paligremnos for lunchtimes, and the Livicon Hotel bar/cafe for after dinner drinks.

Stuart