Author Topic: Where to eat?  (Read 62016 times)

Offline compage

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://www.compage.com
    • Email
Where to eat?
« on: August 15, 2003, 06:25:30 PM »
Ostraco, Since we all spend so much time and money doing it and lots of time talking about it, how about a new forum entitled 'Where to eat'?

And, while I'm here, since that is what prompted the thought, could someone help out my aged failing memory (pardon?) with the name of the taverna by the bridge with the bossy Greek Cypriot lady taking the orders?

Not that I'd criticise the place.  After all, we keep going back there!
« Last Edit: August 15, 2003, 06:27:02 PM by compage »
John Page

Offline ostraco

• Administrator
    • MSN Messenger - bbaazz@hotmail.com
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - FinikasUK
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to Plakias
    • Email
Where to eat?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2003, 06:50:49 PM »
Well the second bit is easy - Lysseos.
We always eat there several times - the food's great!

As for the first bit - well it's about time the forums had a shake up!

Any other things I should be including John - or anyone else?
John - Ostraco

Offline compage

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://www.compage.com
    • Email
Where to eat?
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2003, 11:35:32 AM »
Thanks for the reminder about Lysseos.

Since reading this bulletin board and hearing other peoples' opinions on Plakias eating places and the food they serve, we've determined to try a few more places on our next visit.

I have often heard Greek food criticised and I'm prepared to agree that, at times, I've experienced some pretty poor efforts.  One particular taverna in Aghia Galini served up the worst moussaka I've ever tasted.  And there is a small resort in North West Corfu where, the last time we went, we found it virtually impossible to find anywhere good to eat.

On the other hand, the standard of taverna food in Plakias is, in my humble opinion, outstanding.  We must have eaten in at least a dozen places and have never been less than satisfied with the quality and value.

John, I appreciate that you've just accepted my suggestion for a new forum but I don't have any other ideas for changes just now.
In fact, since the board has been so successful this year and has seen such enormous growth and popularity, I'd suggest you follow one of my favourite maxims:

If it aint broke, don't fix it.
John Page

Offline Pritch

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Where to eat?
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2003, 11:18:27 AM »
Lunched in Taverna Gallini on Friday can seriously recommend the kotopoulou souvlaki, and the Lemon Lamb - seriously good.
This year we have gone to many different Tavernas and have yet to be disappointed. Had dinner in the Sirocco last night, portions were huge, freshly cooked, and one of the few places that serves 'Fava' delicious.
The little sweet 'orange balls' (they did tell me he name but by that time...it was late say no more) we got at the end of the evening, were superb.
Personally have yet to have had a duff meal here, in the years we have been coming.
Follow your nose/instincts you wont go far wrong.
Kali orexi

Offline shelby 213

• View Profile
    • Email
Where to eat?
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2003, 01:05:45 PM »
our favourite restaurant was one called kri kri. outstanding pizza and the garlic bread was out of this world. would go back to plakias just for it. didnt think much of alianthos beach food wasnt very nice at all. we are just back today and already looking to book for next year we absolutely loved plakias.

Offline shinaria

• Regulars
    • AOL Instant Messenger - shinaria@aol.com
    • View Profile
    • http://www.reuters-design.de
    • Email
Where to eat?
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2003, 08:51:37 AM »
The bread at KriKri WAS really phantastic. Unfortunately they don´t serve it anymore and this is really a shame!! KriKri has been our favourite restaurant since our first visit in the last century when the three brothers made a good, a very very job there. It´s reduced to standard now and crowded with a huge staff hencing between the tables.

We ate at many different places this year.
Very recommendable:
Lysseos, Secret Nest (fish), Christos Taverna, (due to the magic place at the seafront under the trees), Panorama (?, Mirthios, Meze, herbs,etc yamyammyammm!), Leftheris Spanakakis (donuts on the beach)
Special tip: The Restaurant opposite the Ouranos (up the street next to the souvlakeria in centre of Plakias) Special meals from Marocco and so happy to welcome somebody cause it was often very quiet there. Late in the night the master of the house starts singing ancient songs from North Africa. Extra cake, extra fruit, extra raki...)

See you

Alfred [Shinaria]

Offline ostraco

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to Plakias
    • Email
Where to eat?
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2003, 04:13:49 PM »
Just like to add my recommendation regarding that Moroccan place - must find out the name!
It's a little more expensive - but the food is excellent, and service (from Gina, who's English) extra friendly, if a little quirky!
We had two fun meals there in June.
John - Ostraco

Offline Pritch

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Where to eat?
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2003, 06:52:53 PM »
Not sure of the one you mean but think its next to Sofia (the oldest Taverna in Plakias). Eat there one night and had the Kleftiko, absolutely superb. The good thing is you can see whats on that day in the kitchens then walk across the road and order. Plenty of locals in there, which is never a bad sign. All our food was superb, and the 'Fava' is to die for. We picked a number of dishes we hadn't tried before and no-one was disappointed. My daughter had the Lamb Roast - can't remember what they called it, but it was stunning.

Pritch

Offline ejayheat

• View Profile
    • Email
Where to eat?
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2003, 07:16:54 PM »
I can't beleive no-one has mentioned Mousses, i thought this was one of the best tavernas and the prices were unbelievably cheap, 3 Euros  for half a spit roasted chicken and potatoes!    Plus the waiters were friendly and remembered us from last year.

Emma
XXXX

Offline DOTTY

• Regulars
    • View Profile
Where to eat?
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2003, 07:33:56 PM »
I agree Emma Mousses is great the problem! with Plakias is you have a job to find a bad place.
Hey Ostracco I am getting worried where are you with our updates.
Dotty
Dotty

Offline ostraco

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to Plakias
    • Email
Where to eat?
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2003, 12:15:06 PM »
Well - having got back at about midnight on Tuesday evening, the food is still frimly on my mind (and waisteline!)
Best meals for me were
At the village taverna in Selia - run by Michalis who used to work in SophiaB then Ostraco.
Sophia, where Nikos is back to work and on form
Gourgonis, next door - best fish soup in Plakias
Ariadne .....  ah, I could go on for ever!

As for the updates Dotty - well my PC crashed an hour before I left for Plakias - and I spent most of yesterday trying to get it back! It's nearly done - but I still haven't unpacked my suitcase yet.....

Ah well, back to the chores!
John - Ostraco

Offline DOTTY

• Regulars
    • View Profile
Where to eat?
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2003, 11:05:01 PM »
Lovely to hear from you John, I think my little green gremlins kicked in knowing you had been back for a second visit. Hope you had a brilliant time. Did you try Mouses it is run by Adonis who's wife runs the Ariadne. Adonis started out as chef in the Ariadne they are very proud of their village and like us don't want too much expansion. Rest up John and let us know (when you have time) all the latest.
Best Wishes
Dotty  
Dotty

Offline ostraco

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to Plakias
    • Email
Where to eat?
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2003, 01:48:39 AM »
Wish I could say it's good to be back - but it's not! Bookings already under way for 2004. (Hope that doesn't upset the gremlins!)

Never tried Mousses - but we're big Ariadne fans.

Hope to get some more stuff done tomorrow - after my first day back at work!!!!!!
John - Ostraco

Offline Pritch

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Where to eat?
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2003, 05:08:37 PM »
Perhaps it would have been easier (I doubt it) to name the places to give a miss !!!
Have to agree its hard to find a duff place in Plakias, and listening to some work colleague's back from Crete this year, am I glad our friends found Plakias.......
I think maybe we take it for granted that Plakias is still very much NOT for the masses.
I dont want to wait 12 months till I'm back, and if the 6 numbers are up tomorrow night, your all coming, my treat, hell I'll even charter a plane !!

Offline Pritch

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Where to eat?
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2003, 05:10:14 PM »
Just seen that I now have 3 buttons !!!!!!!
Quite chuffed really and THANKS John for starting this site- excellent.
Cheers all wherever you are.......

Neil