login

Author Topic: Small Planet Airlines  (Read 18462 times)

Offline grahame

• View Profile
    • Email
Small Planet Airlines
« on: July 23, 2013, 12:34:33 PM »
Hi,
Have booked two weeks at the Irida departing from Gatwick on 1st October at 0955 with Small Planet Airlines (SPA) Flight P7487. I've read some terrible reports of SPA particularly with flights to Skiathos and kefallonia. Has anyone flown out of Gatwick with SPA, and what was your experience?

Offline Arnaki

• View Profile
    • http://
Re: Small Planet Airlines
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2013, 08:43:18 PM »
Hi Grahame,

Don't be put off by the bad reviews of Small Planet.  We've just come back from a holiday with Olympic to Sivota in Northern Greece, and flew to Preveza with Small Planet from Manchester.  The crew were helpful without being over-friendly, the service was fine and the planes comfortable.  The upholstery in the plane going out was in better nick than in the one coming back, and the landing in Manchester was a little bit wobbly, but otherwise no problem.  On time both ways and we left from, and arrived in, the right airport! 

Having said that, Preveza does not really compare to the chaos of Heraklion.  There were three flights out on the day we left - for the whole day! But Manchester and Gatwick might be fairly comparable.

Arnaki

Offline grahame

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2013, 04:30:16 PM »
Just found a post on the Small Planet Airlines Facebook page that says that SPA fights from Birmingham and Gatwick will be taken over at the end of July by Greenjet. This is confirmed on their website. http://www.greenjet.gr/NewsEvents/tabid/406/language/en-GB/Default.aspx

They are a new company with their headquarters in Athens - fingers crossed !
Thanks for your response Arnaki.
Grahame

Offline Arnaki

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2013, 07:57:34 PM »
Free Bucks Fuzz - that sounds rather jolly!  Enjoy your flight  :)

Arnaki

Offline Richard

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2013, 09:09:15 PM »
Small Planet were not bad at all; I suppose there was a residual 'ex-command economy' lack of humour (or perhaps this was just a cultural thing) but in general, the flight was fine. Would be very happy to fly with them again.

It was the replacement flight that ruined things for us in May, not the airline, but - in my opinion - Olympic's utterly disingenuous behaviour (see rant elsewhere on this site). Some people found out about re-scheduled flights whilst in Plakias.

Seeing people landing at Gatwick in the middle of the night, when they had expected to arrive at a civilised hour, really didn't make me think very highly of Olympic.

My wife has health issues around sleep and we booked a day flight for that reason. Olympic quoted us (fairly obnoxiously) a four-figure sum to fly back at roughly the same time that we;d originally boked. Apparently, this was OK because their Ts and Cs cover this. Read carefully... Personally, I despise this kind of behaviour.

(Ranting) Richard.

« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 09:11:17 PM by Richard »

Offline grahame

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2013, 03:35:49 PM »
Small Planet fiasco continues! 0955 from LGW to Heraklion cancelled due to no Small Planet plane available! Replaced by Samair ( Slovakian) flight CCS3036 scheduled for 1330 but left at 1430.  Some people have been bumped off other flights due to downsize of aircraft and told they could cancel and get a refund or go with alternative flights involving a long wait/alternative airport and get £25 compensation! The customer care from Olympic is disgusting!

Offline Mike from Sussex

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2013, 08:41:56 PM »
For me, the Olympic service died along with the Monarch relationship. No matter what you think of the Monarch in flight service, seating etc. they are dependable. Olympic now seem to be seeking the cheapest flights, with predictable results.

They lost me when our first post Monarch holiday included day flights, for which I paid a premium, had them changed to night flights but refused a refund of the premium charge - read the small print! I will never use Olympic again and feel sorry for those whose financial position leaves them little choice but to use them.

Mike

Offline Roy B

• View Profile
    • Email
Small Planet Airlines
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2013, 09:53:17 AM »
I agree with Mike.

The continuing flight problems caused by using tiny airlines seems to me to have been inevitable. Olympic knew this but declines to resolve the issue.  It's more evidence of Olympics indifference to customer care. I would happily pay a small amount (£) more for the reliability of a larger and more reputable airline. 

This year we flew Condor from Dusseldorf with Tui Germany. It's a long story  - but proved that flights and transfers can be straight forward.

Like Mike, I don't think I will book Olympic again (until the company sees sense). So I am unsure when I will see Plakias again. 

Offline Bertie

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2013, 07:00:52 AM »
Roy
Sorry to hear you may never see Plakias again because of lousy service from Olympic.

Please remember it's very easy to travel independently. Use the local buses for transfer. You need to check timetables (available on the web at http://www.bus-service-crete-ktel.com/timetable).
I understand that Olympic transfer can take up to three hours. The bus doesn't take much longer.

Offline Mike G

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2013, 01:49:23 PM »
I think the crucial test about whether Olympic has taken on board all the complaints about their use of "mickey mouse" airlines will be in the 2014 programme.

I used to think Monarch was mediocre but as a previous post said, they did seem to be reliable.

As has been discussed many times on the forum, for those who are concerned about how much their holiday costs, the independent route cannot compare with Olympic, particularly for single travellers.

The point about the Olympic transfer versus use of buses is a fair one. However, even it is does take 3 hours, at least I am sitting in an air conditioned coach, relaxing and thinking about my first Plakias meal. Much preferable to a three part journey in the heat, when any part could result in more delay and stress.

Mike
« Last Edit: August 01, 2013, 01:51:19 PM by Mike G »

Offline daza

• Say "Hello" Theo!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2013, 02:48:28 PM »
I think the crucial test about whether Olympic has taken on board all the complaints about their use of "mickey mouse" airlines will be in the 2014 programme.

The BIG question is - do they take on board any complaints? I'm still waiting for an email back from them (I've sent 2 in June :o). Anyway is this Greenjet thing replacing SPA or what from Gatwick and Birmingham. I can't find any flight info-are they flying yet?(Excel/Viking/Greenjet is this another ruse?)

Offline Noopsy

• Sponsors
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2013, 06:51:16 PM »
The point about the Olympic transfer versus use of buses is a fair one. However, even it is does take 3 hours, at least I am sitting in an air conditioned coach, relaxing and thinking about my first Plakias meal. Much preferable to a three part journey in the heat, when any part could result in more delay and stress.

Mike
As an independent traveller I invariably use public transport to get from the airport to Plakias.  The arrangement suits me fine.  I don't think I could stand being confined to one seat for three hours.  Because you have to change buses/coaches you get the opportunity to stretch your legs, and I think it adds variety to the journey.  And while you might sometimes have to wait in the heat for your next connection, this doesn't bother me at all.  The inter-city coaches are also air-conditioned, and all bus services are very reliable.

Noopsy 
Ελευθερία ή θάνατος

Offline Bertie

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2013, 05:59:24 AM »
I totally agree with you Noopsy and for many of the same reasons.
I also prefer not to be locked into 7 and 14 days slots always based on Tuesdays.
Travelling to Plakias independently is so easy.

Offline Plakias Lover

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2013, 09:50:13 AM »
We have gone independent for many years now as we used to hate the long transfers with Olympic and have had many which lasted well over 3 hours!
We contact the apartment owner by email.
Book flights with Jet2 which have always been excellent & without a hitch.
Hire a car from Just Car Rentals for the duration, excellent service and no hidden charges.
Last time we got off the plane, reclaimed our luggage and were in our hire car in less than 40 mins.
The drive over takes between 1.5 & 2 hours depending on traffic but it is very straightforward and it couldn't be easier.
Going independent may work out more expensive but it gives you so much freedom.
Also having the car gives us the option to visit the surrounding countryside or go on excursions if the wind gets too strong.
We met a family during our stay who had flew with Small Planet from Birmingham and had lost a full day of their holiday due to last minute flight changes, they were dreading the return flight and were constantly having to check to make sure it was still on!

Offline Bertie

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2013, 07:02:58 AM »
Make it even faster. Don't reclaim luggage.
Just take a small case on board.
After all, it is a beach holiday. What is there to take?