Author Topic: Sun Beds  (Read 55076 times)

Offline Mike from Sussex

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Sun Beds
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2012, 07:40:17 PM »
It is sad to read that several Plakias regulars are thinking of not returning owing to the far end sunbed situation. It is clear from posts I have read (plus my own experience in May) that Plakias is having a quiet season anyway and could do with a boost.

There is a limit to the number of beds that the far end can cope with as those many visitors who don't want to use them have to be accommodated as well. However, a few more could easily be fitted in.

Let us hope common sense prevails before too many join the exodus.

Mike

Dear namesake  :)

Even during the busiest I have seen it, the far end was well able to accommodate all comers. The problem is that the number of beds has been reduced from the level during the noughties. This is a problem for OAP couples like us; we cannot lie on the sand for very long before the joints start complaining. Until recently there was no worry obtaining beds until 10am or so, to have to bag something before 8am is not condusive to a relaxing holiday.

As you say, hope common sense prevails.

The alternative Mike

Offline John R

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fluteweb.net
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2012, 08:50:56 PM »
I was told that the new sun bed numbers and positions were in fact how the licencing has officially been  since long time back but was ignored until recently when some official decided to tighten things up and apply the licence conditions. This may or may not be true.

I am a none beach person and as such might occasionally be liable to moan about too many beds spoiling the looks of a beach. However I thought that the reduction in beds (all through - not just the far end) looked ridiculous compared with the vast expanse of beach available. There is scope for far more beds - and sensibly spread out on a beach that size.

John

Offline Mike from Sussex

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2012, 12:53:54 PM »
I was told that the new sun bed numbers and positions were in fact how the licencing has officially been  since long time back but was ignored until recently when some official decided to tighten things up and apply the licence conditions. This may or may not be true.

I am a none beach person and as such might occasionally be liable to moan about too many beds spoiling the looks of a beach. However I thought that the reduction in beds (all through - not just the far end) looked ridiculous compared with the vast expanse of beach available. There is scope for far more beds - and sensibly spread out on a beach that size.

John

Hi John,

You are most probably correct. I agree on the beach, even with the number of beds from town out to the far end a couple of years back there was probably over 80% free of any clutter.

It would do the local economy better if the reaction had been to adjust the licences, rather than the jobworth banality which occurred.

Mike

Offline Mark12345

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2012, 08:35:51 PM »
Hello My Friends.

Thank You for posting replies to my question. There have been some intersting replies.

I think for all of us regulars who go to Plakias (and some of you have been going 30 years !!) we like/d Plakias just the way it is/was.

What we all have to accept is that, because of the credit crash, things have changed !! Not least the situation with the Sunbeds up the top end. (Sofia's,Nicos,Ostrka Bar etc....etc)

Someone rightly said that the licences changed for the beds and the guy who is running them now is only prepared to have half the number of beds as there used to be. (Only because of cost) The problem in Sept  when most British naturist go is there, is now there are not enough beds to accomodate us all. Palegremons let some of their beds be used be Naurists as long as they were away from the bar and Greek Families. Understandable.

When I was there last year Yorgo (from Palegremons) said that they would look into getting more beds for this year. Clearly this is not the case.What I think Yorgo was saying is that they would let people use their beds. !!

I take the point that there has not been a problem with the beds so far this year but this has always been the case. The only time the Naturist beach is busy is in August/Sept. Just ask Freddi ! (Arsenal Who ? ha )

Last year there was a problem with the beds not being there and then being too close together !  There was an interesting battle going on with a few regulars about this, with even a letter going to the new Mayor. Things got sorted out very quickly.( well quickly for greeks that is !!)

Its going to an interesting Battle again this year getting up early enough to get a bed. But we Brits will go for GOLD !! and beat the Norwegians/Dutch/Austrains/Poles/Ukranians/Cechs. On your Marks, Get set.................Go....

What ever happens with the Sunbed situation and the beach we should remember that we go to Plakias to see our Friends, Greek and others,We go for the food !! We go for the sea air and lets face it Plakias will always be there. Its just fustrating that things have changed.

There are other Naturist beaches near by to go to of course Souda being one.

I think alot us have thought about going elsewhere. Some of us will have been. But one things for sure Sunbeds or not We will return perhaps not as frequently as before.

After looking around, lots of other destinations ,we are going back to Plakias on 28th August 2012 for 2 weeks. See you all there (But don't get on the beach before me !! ha)

Haven't the Olympics been BRILLIANT !!!! Rule Britainia

Offline Sunny Jim

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2012, 09:17:12 AM »
Perhaps the locals see the advantage of restoring the whole beach to family use and not having one particular group  dominating a particular section of the beach?
 Plakias being the type of place that it is would surely benefit from an influx of new visitors if they were assured the whole beach was available for visiting or local families without embarassment   :)

Offline Daniel

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2012, 08:25:02 PM »
A welcome and alternative view and one with which we have some sympathy.

And the "far end" is by far the best and safest area of the beach on which to let children swim and play.

Plakias is changing, as all resorts will over time, and not all of the changes are for the worse.

Maybe opening up all the of the beach to all kinds of visitors is a change which the local poulation see as an improvement which will bring in more and more varied holiday makers to the town ?

As for us, well we have voted with our feet and our wallets.

It was Skiathos in May and will be Stoupa in early September.

But  it was not the beach or the sunbeds or the weather or the changes to the town which made us change.

It is the distance from either of the 2 airports to Plakias which is the problem.
The drive from Heraklion and or Chania is one which I can do without at my age.

Taxi charges too and from Plakias ?

And the coach transfer if using Olympic ?
3 or 4 hours on a coach.
Sorry, but not for us.

We feel that we may have seen the best of Plakias and maybe it is time to move on ?

Offline Regulars since 1992

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2012, 09:18:16 PM »
As regular visitors to Plakias virtually every year since 1992 and almost always having stayed at the wonderful Stella Studios run by the welcoming Brokalakis family we have some sympathy with the thoughts of Sunny Jim and Daniel. As people who enjoy some time on the beach and in the sea but who don't seek an "overall tan" we have often questioned why a minority group is allowed to have the best part of the Plakias beach reserved for its own use rather than general and family use etc.

Nothing is indeed forever and perhaps some locals in Plakias would be keen to open up the whole beach to general use to attract new visitors.

Offline John Gloucester

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2012, 09:32:22 PM »
Hello to eveyone who has made a posting since my previous posting this year on the subject of sun beds,

I very much respect the views of Daniel and Sunny Jim who are obviously not naturists but I would stress to them both, that I am sure all genuine naturist would never wish to cause offence to any other person. The far end was established well before my wife and I came to Plakias for the first time time in June 1995 and I am sure it was at the Far End for that very reason. (Away from the village not to cause offence, likewise with Souda the Naturist section is at the oposite end of the beach from the Travern's.) We see no reason why Naturist and Textiles cannot enjoy the the same beach it happens in many other European countries, we are all the same, God made us Nude, Man made it Rude.

The main reason for my earlier posting was an effort to trasmit a message to the the business people of Plakias that the actions of some offical department is in danger damaging to their business, it is only them who can take the views of the visitors to the powers that be, they know who they are and how to contact them, if they wish to retain our custom year after year, they need to continue to provide the facilities that brought us to Plakias in the first instance, not remove them.

Offline Sunny Jim

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2012, 10:08:26 PM »
I very much respect the views of Daniel and Sunny Jim who are obviously not naturists

Why obviously ?

In actual fact I am, but freely admit I prefer smaller beaches with more privacy and have no desire to make others who are not either embarrassed or a  uncomfortable when  they arrive on the beach. Since us naturists are in the minority I dont feel that on a beach such as Plakias we should dominate the best and safest part, in this case the far end. 

• Regulars
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2012, 10:17:21 PM »
Well said Sunny Jim. Your stance, seeing the bigger picture, deserves much praise. We have nothing whatsoever against naturists (which we are not), but feel it would be far better if the best part of Plakias beach as well as the rest was a place all felt comfortable using.

Offline Mike G

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2012, 01:36:52 PM »
As people who enjoy some time on the beach and in the sea but who don't seek an "overall tan" we have often questioned why a minority group is allowed to have the best part of the Plakias beach reserved for its own use rather than general and family use etc.
The far end of Plakias beach is open to all and has been on all of my visits over 17 years.

There seems to be an implication from a couple of postings in this thread that Plakias would benefit if naturists were excluded from the far end. Economically this would be a disaster for the town. For evidence of this you only have to look at what happened to Scala, Kefalonia where just such a thing happened in the early 2000s and the place has never recovered.

As detailed by Daniel, Plakias will always have the problem that it is so far from the airports, although many believe this is one reason why is hasn't become spoilt. It doesn't need another reason for regulars to look elsewhere.

IMHO opinion the only resorts that come anywhere near Plakias as far as my requirements (good beach, good walks, pleasant scenery, friendly locals/ taverna owners) go are Tingaki, Kos and Petra, Lesvos. If others know good ones then I would be interested to hear them.

Mike

• Regulars
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2012, 02:40:29 PM »
It would obviously only be an "economic disaster" for Plakias if any loss of naturist related business wasn't offset by an increase in general tourists, which could well happen.

The best bit of Plakias beach, at the far end, might in theory be open to all, but hardly in practice.

In the meantime, we'll continue to be amused by those sneeking onto the beach at the crack of dawn with their towels to stake their claim to sunbeds. The poor Germans have long been the but of such jokes, but now it seems to be a multi-national Olympic sport.

As independent travellers we don't mind the drive from and to Heraklion and the distance does help to keep Plakias less negatively affected than other more easily accessible resorts.

Offline kayisi

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2012, 06:24:10 PM »
And the coach transfer if using Olympic ?
3 or 4 hours on a coach.

Sorry to see all the steam being generated about the far end of the beach.  We will be visiting it in September but aren't too bothered about sun beds.  I hope it all doesn't end in tears as Plakias is regarded as one of the best naturist beaches in Crete but as others have said there are other beaches and resorts and the world doesn't stand still however much we may desire it.  Were things to change though I could quite imagine what could happen to the place. 

I remember a lovely quiet village with a great beach from 20 + years ago.  It was called Georgioupolis and look whats happened there!

Main reason for this post is to question the 3 or 4 hours on a coach statement.  As a first timer to Plakias with Olympic should I expect to have to endure that long a transfer or are times mentioned above a bit of a one-off?  Can someone advise please?

Apologies, as a Newbie, if I should have made this 2 separate posts rather than lumping my 'sun bed' thoughts together with a question about transfers.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 06:45:27 PM by kayisi »

• Regulars
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2012, 07:20:29 PM »
Hi kayisi,

When we first started going to Plakias in the early '90s we went on packages with Sunmed and then First Choice before becoming independent travellers ever since. The coach transfers from Heraklion were always something to be endured rather than enjoyed, but mainly because they happened in the early hours of the morning just before dawn and you felt really cream crackered on arrival. Daytime transfers should be much better although the time always depends on the number of stops along the way. Anything upto 3 hours sounds realistic compared to the 1hr15/1hr30 it takes to transfer by hire car.

Last word about the far end. If it really is as others have said equally accessible for all, it would be fun to watch what happens if a posse of clothed beach goers descend on the sunbeds there with their towels and take on the unclothed:-)

Offline kayisi

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2012, 07:33:30 PM »
I imagine the beach 'bums' would win wouldn't they?