Author Topic: Advice  (Read 13305 times)

Offline Tessa

• View Profile
Advice
« on: June 05, 2008, 12:53:30 PM »
My boyfriend and I are visiting Crete for the first time and I really like the sound of Plakias.  We're looking to stay somewhere that has a pool, close to the beach and is within walking distance of the local restaurants and bars, somewhere with a selection of restaurants as we like to try different ones.. I also get the impression that there's some nice walks around the area too and places of interest that are not too far a-field!?

I have been looking at some of the hotels and reviews but a couple of suggestions would be really appreciated and maybe those hotels to avoid!!  Someone mentioned Lamon but I can't seem to find them listed with any tour operators, I've only come across them independently where you can reserve a room and book a flight separately..

Thanks,

Tessa

Offline Mike G

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Advice
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2008, 01:08:01 PM »
Quote from: Tessa
My boyfriend and I are visiting Crete for the first time and I really like the sound of Plakias.  We're looking to stay somewhere that has a pool, close to the beach and is within walking distance of the local restaurants and bars, somewhere with a selection of restaurants as we like to try different ones.. I also get the impression that there's some nice walks around the area too and places of interest that are not too far a-field!?

I have been looking at some of the hotels and reviews but a couple of suggestions would be really appreciated and maybe those hotels to avoid!!  Someone mentioned Lamon but I can't seem to find them listed with any tour operators, I've only come across them independently where you can reserve a room and book a flight separately..

Thanks,

Tessa

Hello Tessa and welcome to the Forum. You don't say if you are booking through a tour operator (only Olympic really) or independently. Click on the Article System button at the top of the screen to see reviews on accommodations and tavernas. If you are booking with Olympic, then Kostas Chrysoulla would fit your requirements. I have stayed there twice and it was fine but it has been known to suffer from a lack of attention to detail. Be prepared for a long transfer with Olympic though. There is a large selection of tavernas in the town (all within easy walking distance of one another) and the standard is high in the main.

I've never stayed at Lamon but think it always looks dingy from the outside. I met someone once who had stayed there and she was not at all impressed. The small pool is very overlooked. It used to be a Kosmar property until they pulled out of Plakias at the end of the 2007 season.

Plakias is a superb place for walks, both starting and finishing in the town if you don't have a car, or in the surrounding area if you do.

I would recommend Lance Chilton's book. See

http://www.marengowalks.com/Plakiasbk.html

It includes a useful map. Good quality maps aren't generally a Greek speciality!

Mike
« Last Edit: June 05, 2008, 01:18:22 PM by Mike G »

Offline Tessa

• View Profile
Advice
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2008, 01:45:33 PM »
Quote from: Mike G

Thanks,

Tessa

Hello Tessa and welcome to the Forum. You don't say if you are booking through a tour operator (only Olympic really) or independently. Click on the Article System button at the top of the screen to see reviews on accommodations and tavernas. If you are booking with Olympic, then Kostas Chrysoulla would fit your requirements. I have stayed there twice and it was fine but it has been known to suffer from a lack of attention to detail. Be prepared for a long transfer with Olympic though. There is a large selection of tavernas in the town (all within easy walking distance of one another) and the standard is high in the main.

I've never stayed at Lamon but think it always looks dingy from the outside. I met someone once who had stayed there and she was not at all impressed. The small pool is very overlooked. It used to be a Kosmar property until they pulled out of Plakias at the end of the 2007 season.

Plakias is a superb place for walks, both starting and finishing in the town if you don't have a car, or in the surrounding area if you do.

I would recommend Lance Chilton's book. See

http://www.marengowalks.com/Plakiasbk.html

It includes a useful map. Good quality maps aren't generally a Greek speciality!

Mike

Hi Mike

Thanks for your quick response, I will take a look at the hotel you recommended.

As for Olympic Holidays I know what you mean. I took my first package holiday last year and it was with Olympic, I couldn't beleive it, having to queue for miles just to check in at the airport on our departure.  I've always flown places independently up until last year when we booked a last minute holiday through a tour operator.  
Do you find it easier and cheaper to book independently and travel from the airport to Plakias yourself?  I read someone's post yesterday that its about 80Euros from Heraklion airport to Plakias by taxi, or there's a bus route.

Tessa

Offline George

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Advice
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2008, 02:10:30 PM »
Hi Mike

Thanks for your quick response, I will take a look at the hotel you recommended.

As for Olympic Holidays I know what you mean. I took my first package holiday last year and it was with Olympic, I couldn't beleive it, having to queue for miles just to check in at the airport on our departure.  I've always flown places independently up until last year when we booked a last minute holiday through a tour operator.  
Do you find it easier and cheaper to book independently and travel from the airport to Plakias yourself?  I read someone's post yesterday that its about 80Euros from Heraklion airport to Plakias by taxi, or there's a bus route.

Tessa
Hi Tessa
Welcome, good advice so far as always, baffles me sometimes how quick we are to help people out with any kind of info about Plakias. There's a lot of experience here and it's all good!
I've been going independantly for 2 years now (third coming up), I got bored with the limited choice that the tour companies were offering, after numerous years of grief of one thing or another, usually hidden subsidies and surcharges, and now there's only Olympic it's even worse.

Independance gives you the variety of choice and there are so many people here who can give you contacts for many of the acommadations.
It is more expensive, there's no getting away from that, but look on the bright side, independance gives you a much wider choice of where to stay and when to go.
As Mike said, a good start is the article system if your leaning that way, or if you do decide to go with Olympic, their acommadation has been occupied by many of the members and will give you their honest opinions of the places, but they will be varied.

You sound like you might like the Alianthos Hotel, it's got everything your after!

Good luck!

george g...

Offline Tessa

• View Profile
Advice
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2008, 02:34:50 PM »
Quote from: George
Hi Mike

Tessa
Hi Tessa
Welcome, good advice so far as always, baffles me sometimes how quick we are to help people out with any kind of info about Plakias. There's a lot of experience here and it's all good!
I've been going independantly for 2 years now (third coming up), I got bored with the limited choice that the tour companies were offering, after numerous years of grief of one thing or another, usually hidden subsidies and surcharges, and now there's only Olympic it's even worse.

Independance gives you the variety of choice and there are so many people here who can give you contacts for many of the acommadations.
It is more expensive, there's no getting away from that, but look on the bright side, independance gives you a much wider choice of where to stay and when to go.
As Mike said, a good start is the article system if your leaning that way, or if you do decide to go with Olympic, their acommadation has been occupied by many of the members and will give you their honest opinions of the places, but they will be varied.

You sound like you might like the Alianthos Hotel, it's got everything your after!

Good luck!

george g...

Hi George

Thanks for the info, this forum is a great way to get questions answered!  I will start by looking at the article system and go from there.. and check out those hotels you and Mike recommended.

Many thanks again.

Tessa

Offline Barny

• Regulars
  • Have I seen you in Kyma?
    • View Profile
    • Email
Advice
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2008, 02:45:03 PM »
Hi,
I've gone independant  for the last ten years now, and as George says, it's a bit more pricey but you get more freedom to arrange transfers etc. In the old days and not sure if still the same, you were out of you room at ten on your last day and if your flight was not till late you just had to take your luggage everywhere you went!
I agree with George, the Alianthos Garden has all you need, I have stayed there many times and never been let down.

Barny.
Fancy a Mythos?

Offline beachcombers

• Regulars
    • View Profile
Advice
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2008, 03:04:05 PM »
There is an independent bus transfer from both airports to the main resorts / cities.

See www.flightline.co.uk and go to hoteltransfer.

Go by bus to Rhetymon and take a taxi to Plakias

Beachcombers

« Last Edit: June 05, 2008, 03:05:27 PM by beachcombers »

Offline Tessa

• View Profile
Advice
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2008, 04:58:24 PM »
Quote from: beachcombers
There is an independent bus transfer from both airports to the main resorts / cities.

See www.flightline.co.uk and go to hoteltransfer.

Go by bus to Rhetymon and take a taxi to Plakias

Beachcombers

Thanks everyone, some good advice.  I've started to look at flights and hotels so will bear your suggestions in mind.

Tessa

Offline Graham_and_Karen

• Regulars
    • Facebook
    • Google+
    • View Profile
    • Email
Advice
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2008, 06:25:12 PM »
We stayed at the Apollon 2 years' ago - quite happy with it - the rooms were larger than at Kostas Chrysoula which is right next door. The pool was clean but quite cold.

Offline Mike G

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Advice
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2008, 09:50:38 AM »
Hello Tessa,

You mentioned the long queues at Heraklion airport. All users can suffer from this not just Olympic ones. I agree with what George has said about going the independent route. You have to accept it is more expensive generally, especially if you are going singly.  For my part I get two fortnight holidays a year for the price I would only get one for if I booked independently. You pays your money, etc, etc.

There is a lot of discussion on this forum about the merits and demerits of tour operator versus independent and I won't go through them all.

See http://forums.plakias.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=197 and other threads.

I was told the taxi fare was €80 if pre-booked from Plakias or €100 if you just turn up at the airport. I wasn't able to check the latter as I missed the board in the luggage reclaim area this year which advertises the fares.

Re. Apollon, it wasn't open in the middle of May.

Mike

Offline George

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Advice
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2008, 10:03:35 AM »
I see that Olympic are now featuring the Sofia Hotel, 2 star B/B. But the Apollon has gone!

george g...
« Last Edit: June 06, 2008, 10:06:07 AM by George »

Offline shinaria

• Regulars
    • AOL Instant Messenger - shinaria@aol.com
    • View Profile
    • http://www.reuters-design.de
    • Email
Advice
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2008, 10:57:38 AM »
The Sophia is operating closer together with the Kostas Chrysoula now. Nice place with a great breakfast, maybe a bit "continental", but they may learn how to do serve the full English breakfast now...  We will be there in july.
I wrote a small article in the "Article System" about them http://forums.plakias.co.uk/index.php?auto...ticle&id=23
there is also a link to their site in the www.

See you there?

shinaria

Offline Ali & Dave

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Advice
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2008, 08:29:06 AM »
He

The Apollon is still there, but as it is mainly dealing with the Czechs it doesn't open until May.

Offline JBMouse

• View Profile
    • Email
Advice
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2008, 03:42:06 PM »
Hi, I have just returned from Plakias, and can confirm the taxis as 100 euros from the airport, but only 80 euros from Plakias, so if you can pre book a taxi from Plakias you should save a little.
I have not tried the Alianthos Gardens, but a couple I met on the return transfer found it somewhat noisy as many people arrive/leave at odd hours in the middle o the night, plus, of course, it is more expensive being half board, thus reducing the opportunities to sample all of the great tavernas etc. in Plakias.
Assuming Googlr earth is up to date, there are not many places with a pool. I stayed again at Costas Chrysoulla, and found it ideal for doing exactly what you say you want to do. It is basic, but clean, and very typically Greek, and has air conditioning if you want it (5€ a day). I would certainly be happy going there again, and I will - can't wait to be back in Plak again.
The return transfer with Olympic was AWFUL, and I am about to make a major complaint to Olympic about the time/queues, and nearly missing the flight. Nuf said, 80€ is a bargain!

Offline George

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Advice
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2008, 03:59:26 PM »
Quote from: JBMouse
The return transfer with Olympic was AWFUL, and I am about to make a major complaint to Olympic about the time/queues, and nearly missing the flight. Nuf said, 80€ is a bargain!
I'm really surprised to hear that JBM  

We've all complained to Olympic about the transfers, one reason I'm now independent.

Has anyone ever had any satifactory outcome from a complaint about the transfer, I didn't??

george g...