login

Author Topic: How did you first find Plakias?  (Read 36661 times)

Offline Noopsy

• Sponsors
    • View Profile
    • Email
How did you first find Plakias?
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2007, 07:32:29 PM »
In 2004 after "her indoors" made her exit, I decided that I wanted to go somewhere where I could finally indulge my passion for "far-ending".  After trawling through various web-sites I was eventually advised to take a look at this one by Karen T who was a member.  Having read through all the postings and obtained helpful answers to some basic questions I thought I would try out the place for a week.  At first, I didn't rate it all that highly but because the far end fully met my expectations I decided to come back the following year...and the year after that, by then for 2 weeks...and again this year.  On this occasion, especially, I discovered new things about Plakias, and have come to appreciate that there is more to it than just the far end.  And travelling to and from the village through the dusty streets of Heraklion and Rethymnon and the sun-baked countryside and the towering cliff formations I have realised that Crete itself has a subtle charm that grows on you the more times you visit her.  I, for one, will be renewing my acquaintance with this wonderful place next year, and hopefully, many more after that.

Thank you Karen for ever.
Ελευθερία ή θάνατος

Offline badger

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2007, 11:36:42 PM »
I think we first went to Plakias in 1986 through SunMed, staying in the first floor rooms next to Livicon (Morpheas? Not sure if they were called that then.) We arrived in the dark to a full moon over the sea, but had no idea until morning of the full beauty of the view.
 There was no promenade then and the road sort of crumbled into the beach. We used to buy fresh doughnuts from the traditional bakery and eat them still warm on the stony sand. We also spent a lot of time watching the short wheel-based bus loading up with backpackers heading West, a lengthy process with the rucksacks on top.There was a heatwave in Greece that year (if I've got the year right) and with no aircon we often tried to sleep on the balcony with wet towels to cool us down (it didn't work.)Walking in the heat was difficult, we couldn't get further than Sunset Taverna (Tsasomanolis now?) without stopping for a drink on our way to Souda. sometimes we were so desperate for shade (no sunbeds or umbrellas anywhere) that we would hide behind plants or in the tiny cave on the little cove near Souda.
The road to Sfakia was scary as it ran out of tarmac for a stretch which couldn't be bypassed as it could now by the Frangocastello road. It was worth it though for the views and the sight of the proud old men in traditional dress;sadly you hardly ever see them now.One of these men frequented Plakias, he had one arm, perhaps someone remembers him?
The Meltemi blew for the duration of our two week stay which I found stangely exciting even though it made Plakias beach a no-go zone with the stinging sand. There were no windbreaks around the tavernas and the tables quickly covered with dust. "Dusty, windy, dusty, windy " was the refrain of one of our favourite waiters.
The SunMed rep laughed to himself when we set off for Preveli where we soon encountered the naturist hippies who lived along the river and made strange calls ahead to warn of visitors!
We found Plakias magical and visited a couple of times before having our children. Eventually while staying in Loutro in 2002 we went back for a day.The development was a real culture shock at first, but we have grown to love Plakias as it is and have had five holidays combined with time in Loutro with our two boys.

Alison

Daisy

« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2007, 03:56:22 PM »
We found Plakias in the Inspirations bruchure in 1993 and never having been to Greece or her islands before we decided to give it a whirl. Our flight was delayed hours, we were herded on to coaches at Heraklion and driven all over the island before being deposited at the Alianthos Beach,at midnight, tired, hot and hungry. Never having been before we thought all tavernas would be closed, we know different now, so collapsed into bed. What a revelation next morning to step out on to the balcony and see that lovely view that even today we never tire of.So despite a bad start we are still going, sometimes twice a year if we have no other plans.
So many friends made, so many good times, yes it's busier these days and a lot of changes have we seen BUT we can find nowhere better Daisy

Offline Mike G

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2007, 01:09:53 PM »
Quote from: Greecemad
I discovered the rambling holidays that SunMed did in and around a place called Plakias in Crete and on Lesbos (Plakias also appealed because of the nudist beaches in the vicinity). So in 1990 I spent a fortnight in Plakias (at the Oasis Pension) and enjoyed the rambling led by Bill and Joan. The year after I did another SunMed rambling holiday on Lesbos - this was not so enjoyable as Molyvos isn't such a good walking area, it's doesn't have the same good beaches
Greecemad
IMHO the Molyvos/Petra area of Lesvos is at least as good as Plakias for walking. It is covered by two excellent books by Mike Maunder and Lance Chilton. The former book is Molyvos based but also covers Petra and the latter is Petra based but also covers an area north and south. It also has a good map. Molyvos has a far end beach with a lovely view of the castle; however it isn't quite as good as Plakias or Paleohora.

Lance Chilton's books of Plakias walks markedly improved the quality of my walks in Plakias and again the map is excellent.

Mike

Offline katowales

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2007, 08:20:54 PM »
Well, way back in 1997 - had just finished 3 years study and was awaiting results on my degree and felt I needed/deserved a holiday - so went to the nearest travel agent and booked what was a last minute cheapy - you know those ones where you don't know where you are going or where you are staying (well I was a student, albeit a mature one!)

The cheapest 2 weeks going was to Crete - needed to look on the map to check (though I did know it was Greece).  So couple of days before departure I picked up a Rough Guide to Crete at the local library and it sounded mostly good to me - strangely I already got a feel for Plakias at this early stage (the write up said all the right things - relatively unspoilt, not too easy to get to, quiet, but with some nightlife - and a naturist beach).  We ended up on the North coast (as to be expected) in Gouves! so immediately hired a car and made a bee line for Plakias.

Steve and I have not looked back since, suppose we have been back a dozen times, the only months we haven't been are August/Nov & Dec  We had a week in January this year and will be back end of Sept for 2 weeks (with other destinations in between, just to be sure there is no other place like it!) We love it so much we have now bought a piece of land outside Lefkogia and our Cretan architect has put in the plans for a modest little house - we are coming to live in Crete within the next year!

Carol & Steve

Offline jann

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2007, 01:19:47 PM »
Having stayed in Ierapatra in 1986 we hired a motorbike, also caught  the local buses and went to many places on Crete. Fell in love with it, bought a Rough Guide and decided Plakias sounded like the place for us and one day we would go back there.

For the next few years, as we had a touring BMW motorbike at home we toured Europe, Pyrenees etc. and to satisfy our love of Greece even did a tour round mainland Greece (driving through the old Yugoslavia in 1990 just before all the 'trouble' started) saw some amazing places such as Meteora, Delphi, and beautiful resorts like Parga and the pelopponese, also visited our daughter who was living in Zakynthos at the time.

In June 1992 we decided we would take our promised holiday to Plakias and booked with  with Sunmed to Chrysoula rooms.  ( I've still got the tickets and all the reps info)    Unfortunately we were right in the middle of a building site, it must have been when they were developing Kostas/Chrysoula. Work started about 7am it was dreadful and the rooms themselves were bad (Glad to hear things have improved there)  We were moved to Zorbas which was great and none of this put us off Plakias !

On my own now, but determined to make it back somehow !

Offline Chris H.

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2007, 08:37:22 PM »
Always was prejudiced about Greece, based on nothing really, we've always been Spain people. Met the misses there about 40 years ago!
Misses kept asking for a Greece visit though, so I gave in last autumn, let's give it a try then. So I googled and googled for apartments with a nice view in quiet places and I just happened to stumble into this forum, lucky me  So many people drooling over this Plakias place, must be something special, let's check it out. So we did, booked a flight, rented a car, booked 3 weeks in Olive grove, .....When we drove into Plakias the first day we stopped by at a supermarket and bought a few six-packs of Mythos, took it to the apartment and drunk them on our terrace, oops, then I knew, this is the place for me, can't pinpoint why really, it's just tourists and bars, restaurants, hotels and apartments and that's it, nothing more really, but there's a certain atmosphere I have never experienced anywhere else and I like it a lot. The rest is history. Spain has seen the last of me, my wife has a nice way of putting it: In Greece you find what you expect from Spain but never really find. I won't take any chances and keep coming back year after year and hope to get old here one day, Spot on!!! love it....wished I had found out years ago. Still, I know now. (anyone wants to buy a caravan parked in a Costa Brava campsite?
Chris H.

Offline jenny

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2007, 05:52:39 PM »
1993*, we happened to join a naturist club (here) and some friends had been to Plakias for 2 weeks in the May - enjoyed it, loved the sound of the naturist beach.  Husband #1 and I followed them the following August.  Don't know if it was SunMed or Inspirations now, who we went with.  Their office was right next to the Forum, set back from the road.  They used to bring a big coach all along the front then, husband not impressed with dragging 2 heavy suitcases from the coach up the hill.  Stayed at Stella on B&B, not v impressed with lack of loo seats, tiny balcony (struggle to get 2 people on it) breakfasts diabolically sparse - difficult for me as I am diabetic, so we breakfasted out every day.  Stella invariably unsmiling.  Not sure where Far End started because no-one on it, we weren't very experienced naturist then, didn't feel comfortable there as weren't positive it was the correct place.  Meltemi a nightmare.  Met a v nice couple at Stella though.  That helped!  After a few days we hired a car and went other places and enjoyed it all in all, but not the best holiday we ever had.

* now I've got my thinking head on, the year was 1983, so our first visit was 1984!!!! (I'm glad I'm not an Epsilon ....)

New beginning in 1998, very skint, took a very last minute VERY cheapie to Kos, had a wonderful time, went to Tingaki most days.  Man (who had only previously been to France, Austria and Germany) said he thought he liked Greece.  Had other holidays on Greek islands.  Wondered about Plakias a few years ago, found the Forum.  Stuck it in Favourites and toyed with the idea from time to time. Last year eventually decided to go for it.  Had a week in early Oct - fab!  Took the walking boots and poles - but was far too hot for us, to walk any further than the Far End!

We were going again in May but were side-tracked to Makrigialos.  OK, food very good, but Far End equivalent too far and too difficult for me (I'm clumsy and literally still have scars from that holiday, the scabs have not long disappeared!)

We have just booked a week in Plak at KC from 05 Oct, from B'ham - for under £400! - about £60 less than last year! Olympic - price reduced on Friday lunchtime whilst I was still toying with it, so we booked it last night!

So has anyone got KC's email or phone no, so we can ask for a front room at Zorba's?
« Last Edit: September 02, 2007, 01:53:32 PM by jenny »
Jenny

Naturist and Hell's Grandma

Offline Mike from Sussex

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2007, 09:40:51 AM »
Quote from: jenny
We have just booked a week in Plak at KC from 05 Oct, from B'ham - for under £400! - about £60 less than last year! Olympic - price reduced on Friday lunchtime whilst I was still toying with it, so we booked it last night!

So has anyone got KC's email or phone no, so we can ask for a front room at Zorba's?

Jenny,

The last contact details I have are;

Tel. 28320 32242
Fax. 28320 31827
papadakis@aias.gr
http://costas-chrysoula.kreta-sun.com

Mike

Offline Mike G

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2007, 01:21:13 PM »

Hello Jenny,

I think that as you have booked with Olympic, it will be the Olympic rep. who allocates a room to you, rather than the KC management. If you phone Olympic you can still add a special request to your booking.

Mike

Offline jenny

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2007, 06:38:24 PM »
I think that as you have booked with Olympic, it will be the Olympic rep. who allocates a room to you, rather than the KC management. If you phone Olympic you can still add a special request to your booking.

Cheers, chaps!  That's the only snag about t'internet, no boxes to tick for sea view etc although all the rooms at KC are advertised as 'Inland View' anyway I think.

Will get my man to give em a ring if he can spare the time from his hectic schedule during the week (he's very busy indeed today - ie. gone fishing LOL)
Jenny

Offline beachboy

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2007, 08:50:35 PM »
Dear all

We have not found Plakies yet but we soon will as we have booked to stay in the "Lamon" at the end of Sept this year and cannot wait.  Stumbling over your forum and its content from you all make Plakies a perfect place for me but this is to be confirmed.

My partener and I love the sun and I think that we will try the far end as some of you have stated that there are not many gawpers and pervs so we hope for some nice weather and hopefully some nice rest.

The only thing that we are confused about is that there js plenty of mention of two more smaller beaches past the far end that look fantastic but there is a problem with the sun shade/sunlounger people taking up all the space?  If anybody feels atht they can put me straight about these beaches than please let me know.

We have busy lifestyles therefore we never see the sun and all that we want to do it to tan, eat well and obviously have a few drinks

Please all keep well

Cheers BAM

Offline jenny

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2007, 10:20:27 PM »
A word of warning then - if you are not 'dedicated' 'Far Enders' - do please both be sure to use high factor sun-cream on literally ALL the bits that aren't used to seeing the sun!!!!!  Otherwise I guarantee you will regret it, before you have had a chance to get used to the idea  ......

We both burned a combination of shoulders, noses, boobs, bellies, balding head and bums on Shoreham beach over the August Bank holiday weekend (sun and wind, sea, wind and sun LOL) and we've been nude sunbathing for over 25 years and had already had 2 separate hols abroad doing just that, this year, prior to the bank holiday!  and I currently have the cold sores to prove it LOL

Take it carefully - and enjoy!
« Last Edit: September 03, 2007, 10:22:29 PM by jenny »
Jenny

Offline John R

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fluteweb.net
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2007, 10:54:58 PM »
We both burned a combination of shoulders, noses, boobs, bellies, balding head and bums on Shoreham beach over the August Bank holiday weekend

Makes me mighty glad that we stick to walking  

John R

Offline jenny

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2007, 01:20:03 AM »
Makes me mighty glad that we stick to walking

No it's just as dangerous when you are me - I always burn my nose wherever I am, whatever I'm doing, it just sticks out so far (just call me the Dong with the Luminous Nose) - or I burn the back of my neck or fall down a cliff when I walk; if I'm on the flat I usually turn an ankle or two - I fink I must be a bit accident prone LOL

Perhaps I was a Laydee in a former incarnation and carried about in a sedan chair by lackeys, and thus ill-prepared for life in the 21st century???
Jenny