Author Topic: How did you first find Plakias?  (Read 36662 times)

Offline Chas

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
How did you first find Plakias?
« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2007, 11:09:02 AM »
Quote from: jenny
Makes me mighty glad that we stick to walking

No it's just as dangerous when you are me - I always burn my nose wherever I am, whatever I'm doing, it just sticks out so far (just call me the Dong with the Luminous Nose) - or I burn the back of my neck or fall down a cliff when I walk; if I'm on the flat I usually turn an ankle or two - I fink I must be a bit accident prone LOL

Perhaps I was a Laydee in a former incarnation and carried about in a sedan chair by lackeys, and thus ill-prepared for life in the 21st century???

Hi, Jenny - and any other newbies,

If you want to reply to somebody else's post, you can use the button at the bottom-right of that post.  It will automatically open your post window with the previous post "quoted" in it.

You can edit unwanted bits within the quote.

Otherwise, you can copy the abstract you want and paste it into your post and then start it with
Code: [Select]
[quote] ... or ... [quote name='joe bloggs'] and end the abstract with
[/quote], so the whole thing looks like this:
[quote name='Chas']What a right one I am![/quote] in the window and like this ... [!--quoteo(post=0:date=:name=Chas)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Chas)[div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]What a right one I am![/quote] ... when posted.
Chas

Stupidity is its own reward.

Offline Mike G

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: September 04, 2007, 01:33:36 PM »
Quote from: jenny
Cheers, chaps!  That's the only snag about t'internet, no boxes to tick for sea view etc although all the rooms at KC are advertised as 'Inland View' anyway I think.
Hello Jenny,

You are right that when you book Olympic on the internet you can't make special requests- you have to phone in afterwards (they have a freephone number as well as an 0870 one). Interestingly, they guaranteee that when booking by phone they will beat the internet price.

Until September 15 they have a £20 per person discount offer which they are E-Mailing to those on their mailing list, which is cheaper still.

Mike

Offline Richard

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: September 23, 2007, 03:27:46 PM »
Hi Barny,

After my first Greek holiday on the island of Aegina in '93 I immediately booked one for '94, at the Albatross Apartments in a place called Amoudara.

Checked location on a map before we left, looked to be about 15 mins from Heraklion. After about an hour in the taxi I was getting concerned but assumed I'd misread the map. To cut a long story short, we were dropped off at the Albatross Studios in Plakias, the only problem being there was somebody else in 'our' room!

Walked into the village and found the holiday rep., who organised a taxi back to Amoudara, which is a noisy suburb of Heraklion which happens to have a beach. This was a huge disappointment after seeing Plakias briefly, but I've been back to Plakias many times since. This Albatross was a lucky one for us!!

Cheers,

Richard

Offline Davos

• MSN Messenger - plakias@hotmail.co.uk
    • View Profile
    • http://davosplakias.spaces.live.com/default.aspx
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: January 01, 2008, 04:14:36 PM »
Hi
We first found Plakias in 1990. We were looking for a chill out kind of holiday, and came across it in Simply Crete.
Loved it from the word go.
Son was born and could not get back till he was 7. It felt like comming home (dont know why, just did). Have been back 6 times since and son is of the same opinion.
Roll on the end of May, mines a Mythos.
Happy new year to you all.
Dave
Smile you are in Plakias. :)

Offline JaneGary

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2008, 12:00:29 PM »
Hi, we found Plakias about '88.

But was miffed/impressd to discover that my parents were in Plakias back in late 70s!

Our favourite place was Piso Livadi in Paros, much smaller than Plakias, but when we considered going back a few years ago we discovered that the wonderful beach had been taken over by a development including massed discos and bungie jumping on the beach, As well as rows and rows of umbrellas.

Have been very happy with Plakias ever since.

Jane

Offline Greecemad

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2008, 05:04:43 PM »
Quote from: JaneGary
Our favourite place was Piso Livadi in Paros, much smaller than Plakias, but when we considered going back a few years ago we discovered that the wonderful beach had been taken over by a development including massed discos and bungie jumping on the beach, As well as rows and rows of umbrellas.
Jane

Doesn't sound like Piso Livadi to me, I thought it was a quiet place with up-market restaurants etc. I've been into the little port several times on the Skopelitis Express on its way to the Small Cyclades, but it doesn't go to Piso Livadi any more.

Greecemad

Offline JaneGary

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2008, 05:22:26 PM »
Try googling Pounda Beach which is west of PL. It had one taverna selling drinks and home cooking such as goat stew, with a donkey asleep on the beach in them old days 15 years ago.
Nice to hear that the little town remains quiet though.  Memories of a very serious (and well oiled) cricket match between Brits, Kiwis and Aussies. Not jumpers for goal posts, but beer crates for stumps.

Jane

Quote from: Greecemad
Quote from: JaneGary
Jane

Doesn't sound like Piso Livadi to me, I thought it was a quiet place with up-market restaurants etc. I've been into the little port several times on the Skopelitis Express on its way to the Small Cyclades, but it doesn't go to Piso Livadi any more.

Greecemad

Offline travellingran

• Sponsors
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: March 15, 2008, 04:00:21 PM »
Quote from: Barny
Hi all,
I don't know if this is interesting but how did you all find out about Plakias?
Did you just stumble across it in a travel agent or what?

My story starts when myself and a friend and our partners decided we wanted to go away for a break the four of us so we sent the girls off to find a holiday while we syayed in the pub!
Some time later they returned and said they had booked two weeks in a place called plakias on an island called Crete through the co op travel agency and sunmed, they even threw in a free taxi to bhx and back! We stayed in a place called pension paligremnos which was opposite where santa maria is now.
That was about late eightys i think and have been ther ever since!!

Whose story is next?

Barny.

Hi Barny,
We first found Plakias in 1979 . We had been going to Paleochora for three years and went into the mountains to explore on our hired Vespa. We  travelled north and then east for hours and the scooter broke down. We were taken by an olive farmer (scooter and all) on his trailer to a beautiful mountain village called Vatolakos where there was a workshop. The Vespa was taken away and we stayed at the Kafenion overnight. Concrete base beds and stand astride loos - the whole Cretan experience in one night. I have never , ever forgotten it and the kindness of the extended family who we are still in touch with. (Another chapter)
We decided the main road back to be the sensible course of action and set off towards Chania.
My husband was reading the road signs !!! and turned right. The scooter with its new lease of life buzzed along endlessly and we reached RETHYMNON. Abandoning all hope of ever seeing Paleochora again we set off south and the end of the road rounded a bend to reveal the breathtaking panorama of Plakias bay. Paradise found. I have several surviving photos of the
two days spent in this glorious place. We found a room at the Old Asterias which required both youth and a sense of humour. The electricity to the village went off on a regular basis well into the 1980,s .
We had to abandon trusty scooter (by arrangement with owner)and return to Paleochora for our bags. By bus to Rethymnon ,Chania and on from there. Took all day.
I will share these photos with anyone interested. Although a tour company or two were using Plakias it was delightfully small and unspoilt. Now alone and still travelling I still make it to Plakias as often as I can. . Sadly since Greece joined the EU the massive tourism grants are funding a lot of development but a blissful holiday can still be had by staying in older accommodation .
Just returned from Cambodia but going back to Plakias this June.
Anyone interested in 1979 photos of Plakias - please ask.

Heather . travellingran

Offline Greecemad

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: March 15, 2008, 09:07:00 PM »
Quote from: travellingran
Hi Barny,
We first found Plakias in 1979 . We had been going to Paleochora for three years and went into the mountains to explore on our hired Vespa. We  travelled north and then east for hours and the scooter broke down. We were taken by an olive farmer (scooter and all) on his trailer to a beautiful mountain village called Vatolakos where there was a workshop. The Vespa was taken away and we stayed at the Kafenion overnight. Concrete base beds and stand astride loos - the whole Cretan experience in one night. I have never , ever forgotten it and the kindness of the extended family who we are still in touch with. (Another chapter)
We decided the main road back to be the sensible course of action and set off towards Chania.
My husband was reading the road signs !!! and turned right. The scooter with its new lease of life buzzed along endlessly and we reached RETHYMNON. Abandoning all hope of ever seeing Paleochora again we set off south and the end of the road rounded a bend to reveal the breathtaking panorama of Plakias bay. Paradise found. I have several surviving photos of the
two days spent in this glorious place. We found a room at the Old Asterias which required both youth and a sense of humour. The electricity to the village went off on a regular basis well into the 1980,s .
We had to abandon trusty scooter (by arrangement with owner)and return to Paleochora for our bags. By bus to Rethymnon ,Chania and on from there. Took all day.
I will share these photos with anyone interested. Although a tour company or two were using Plakias it was delightfully small and unspoilt. Now alone and still travelling I still make it to Plakias as often as I can. . Sadly since Greece joined the EU the massive tourism grants are funding a lot of development but a blissful holiday can still be had by staying in older accommodation .

Heather . travellingran

Hi Travellingran,

I enjoyed reading your story, it was very interesting.

The electricity went off fairly regularly well into the 90s, as 1990 was the first year that I went.

You were lucky to do the journey back to Paleochora by bus in one day, as I suppose the new road from Rethymnon to Chania wasn't built then. I have done the reverse journey by ferry and taxi 3 times and that has taken quite a lot of a day.

I am very interested in old photographs of Plakias (and Paleochora too - have you seen the site with all the hippy-time photos on it?). There is another thread that I started where we collected various photos going back well before 1979.

Greecemad.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2008, 09:14:24 PM by Greecemad »

Offline Rowena & Carl

• Regulars
    • MSN Messenger - rowenabarlow@hotmail.co.uk
    • View Profile
    • http://www.results4u.co.uk
« Reply #39 on: March 16, 2008, 10:01:38 PM »
Hi all,

My story starts when myself and a friend and our partners decided we wanted to go away for a break the four of us so we sent the girls off to find a holiday while we syayed in the pub!
Some time later they returned and said they had booked two weeks in a place called plakias on an island called Crete through the co op travel agency and sunmed, they even threw in a free taxi to bhx and back! We stayed in a place called pension paligremnos which was opposite where santa maria is now.

Whose story is next?

Barny.

Hi Barny,

Heather . travellingran

Hi Heather

Great story & experience I think, Would love to see the 1979 pictures. We have our own Vespa in Plakias now (an old one) so far been reliable but we don't venture too far Rethymnon the limit. Please do send me the pic's would really love to see them.

Rowena & Carl

Offline travellingran

• Sponsors
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: March 18, 2008, 02:08:08 PM »
Quote from: Rowena & Carl
Hi all,

Whose story is next?

Barny.

Hi Barny,

Heather . travellingran

Hi Heather

Great story & experience I think, Would love to see the 1979 pictures. We have our own Vespa in Plakias now (an old one) so far been reliable but we don't venture too far Rethymnon the limit. Please do send me the pic's would really love to see them.

Rowena & Carl

Hi Rowena and Carl,

I will attempt to email my pics., to your hotmail.
If you receive them would you post them onto the forum site for me?
 (I will explain - I have a very old PC , steam driven and pedalled.It only runs windows 98 and I do not use Outlook Express.  I much prefer travelling to updating my computer , these choices due to being a pensioner. )

Heather.travellingran

Offline steven

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://members.ziggo.nl/steefbez/
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: March 18, 2008, 08:08:13 PM »
(I will explain - I have a very old PC , steam driven and pedalled.It only runs windows 98 and I do not use Outlook Express. I much prefer travelling to updating my computer , these choices due to being a pensioner. )

Heather.travellingran

Good idea Heather i'd love to see those pictures. My first time in Plakias was about 1984 so i must remember some things.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2008, 08:08:44 PM by steven »
No trees were killed in the posting of this message but a large number of electrons became terribly excited.

Offline Rowena & Carl

• Regulars
    • MSN Messenger - rowenabarlow@hotmail.co.uk
    • View Profile
    • http://www.results4u.co.uk
« Reply #42 on: March 20, 2008, 11:21:07 PM »
Quote from: Rowena & Carl
Hi all,

Whose story is next?

Barny.

Hi Barny,

Heather . travellingran

Hi Heather

Rowena & Carl

Thanks they are great I will try & post on to the forum but i'm not a computer person myself very self taught so it could be 2079 before I manage it!!!

Rowena

Hi Rowena and Carl,

(I will explain - I have a very old PC , steam driven and pedalled.It only runs windows 98 and I do not use Outlook Express.  I much prefer travelling to updating my computer , these choices due to being a pensioner. )

Heather.travellingran

Offline Barny

• Regulars
  • Have I seen you in Kyma?
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: How did you first find Plakias?
« Reply #43 on: September 11, 2013, 07:09:45 PM »
Hi All,
This is a topic I started back in 2008 asking how people had 'found' Plakias. As there are a lot more newbies on the board now, I wonder if anyone would like to post how they found Plakias?
Just a thought?

Barny.
Fancy a Mythos?

Offline Plakias Lover

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: How did you first find Plakias?
« Reply #44 on: September 12, 2013, 08:51:13 AM »
Hi Barny

We found it through the dreaded Olympic brochure!
After a few years under our own steam touring the island or staying at Palechora we decided to try a pacakge with Olympic staying at Costa Chrysoula.
We were hooked on Plakias immediately.
After about 7 years we decided to go it alone as the transfers and flight changes completely did our head in! Also wanted room with a sea view.
From then on (about the last 10 years) we have continued under our own steam, staying at Horizon Beach Hotel and hopefully will continue for many years to come.
Roll on October 5th!!
Regards
Sylvia & Steve