login

Author Topic: greek attitude to uk lockdown, Guardian  (Read 4078 times)

Offline mickydripping

• View Profile
greek attitude to uk lockdown, Guardian
« on: May 10, 2020, 11:42:18 AM »
well worth a read...maybe you can use it as a reason to visit asap, as if a reason is needed

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/may/10/greeks-marvel-at-britains-covid-chaos-as-their-lockdown-lifts-after-150-deaths

Offline Richard

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: greek attitude to uk lockdown, Guardian
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2020, 08:03:47 AM »
My trips planned April and May were cancelled, re-booked for end Aug/early Oct, I'll swim if needs be... Just semi-retired and these trips were my idea of celebrating more free time.

Offline mickydripping

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2020, 11:37:14 AM »
Snap, although 14 days isolation on return would be difficult.I suspect that the isolation will be scrapped fairly soon.

Offline JBMouse

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2020, 12:14:25 PM »
Maybe we can have some local news of how Plakias is coping, and of any plans there to re-open the hotels and Tavernas. We have a trip booked for very early June to Kalamata, independant travel through easyjet, and are forever hopeful it may go ahead, but looking less likely now, but local info about anywhere being open on June ist. would help. Our Plakias trip is 1st. October, again independently with easyjet and KC, and would certainly hope that will go ahead.
Well done Greece!

Offline Richard

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2020, 10:00:23 PM »
Yes, that info would be really helpful. I'm guessing that things will stay open later this year, to try and make-up lost business. I don't think that olive picking really kicks-in until November? Not sure though. Our second trip is 6th Oct. I'm 'sort of' hoping that'll go ahead, but first on 27th Aug? Who knows?

We've booked independently for years, the flexibility's great and it has really help in the current situation to be able to simply drop Manolis a note and re-arrange things, without having to go via inept travel agents/companies.

I've only left the house four times, for food/medical appointment in almost two months anyway, average just under two weeks between each, so I'll happily trade two weeks' house arrest for a trip to Plakias!

Offline Mike G

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2020, 06:19:09 PM »
I've read recent posts about members buying large amounts of ouzo at the airport. My recent experience with whisky, gin etc is that it is cheaper at Tesco. Maybe ouzo is cheaper. Wherever you buy it I have always loved it as I loved aniseed balls as a child.

Unless Olympic come to their senses or another tour operator steps in, sadly I may not return. Plakias is changing rapidly so maybe I wouldn't want to. So my stocks of raki will run out as I don't know of something similar I could buy in the UK.

I hope Crete/Greece can recover from the current situation.

Offline JBMouse

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2020, 01:00:06 PM »
Ouzo is considerably cheaper in Greek resorts and at the airport, as Greece does not high rates of duty on spirits over 37.5% ABV as the UK does. This is why you can buy 48% Gin at Gatwick if you are flying outside the EU, but only get 37.5% if staying in the UK. The really good ouzo is at least 42%, and other really great ouzos can come in at 48%, but cost very little in Greece, appx 14 Euros max, so with a good exchange rate quite a bit lower  price in sterling.
The problem is when we leave the EU, then we will be restricted to 1 litre of spirits per person on return. October trips to Plakias and Lesvos this year then (Plakias already booked!)
« Last Edit: May 26, 2020, 01:47:20 PM by JBMouse »