login

Author Topic: Lance Chilton - Sad news!  (Read 6130 times)

Offline ostraco

• Administrator
    • MSN Messenger - bbaazz@hotmail.com
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - FinikasUK
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to Plakias
    • Email
Lance Chilton - Sad news!
« on: August 13, 2014, 04:20:30 PM »
Many forum members will have encountered Lance during their time in Greece. Sadly, I never met him, but we swopped email many times. I was always impressed by his knowledge, gentle manner and downright enthusiasm.
Below is the text of a message I received from one of his close friends.

If you did not already know, Lance Chilton died of an acute heart attack in the evening of 30th July, in his 60th year.  Hazel and I had a 'phone call from his wife Hilary the following day.

Anyone interested might like to know that he will be cremated at the Mintlyn Crematorium, Kings Lynn on Monday 18th August 2014 at 13.00.

We know that many of his friends from the early 1980's (when he began the Botanical Specials and before he produced the walk booklets as 'Marengo') through to the 2000's will be attending the funeral.

He had been ill with an entirely unrelated condition for some years.  This had slowed him down. Also, because of a change of policy by the owners of several guided books, he and Hilary were unable to update their walk booklets alongside their contributions to guides of the Greek islands.

Hilary is proposing to scatter his ashes on the island of Thasos sometime next year.

Lance  was a lovely man who gave much pleasure to many people with his kindness, patience and love of plants.  His freehand drawing of maps was unsurpassed so that his walking guides actually worked - he had walked them all several times and often in the reverse direction!

Lance, you will be missed - but you've left a legacy that will endure for many years.!
John - Ostraco

Offline Richard

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Lance Chilton - Sad news!
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2014, 06:06:08 PM »
What sad news. I didn't ever meet Lance but we did exchange notes regarding images of Plakias.
I associate his walking guides with my first visits to Plakias, and happy times, exploring the surrounding hills.

Richard.

Offline Ali & Dave

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2014, 12:50:45 PM »
Thanks for letting us know John.  Sad news, we have used his walk books many times.

Offline Bill Lawrenson

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2014, 12:34:55 PM »
Very sad indeed. His original map and book gave us our introduction to the wonderful walks round about Plakias. Sadly we cannot do all the walking now but he has given us some happy memories and we will be thinking of him in a couple of weeks when we watch the buzzards above the mill.

Offline robludlow

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2014, 02:41:37 PM »
Just to say I'm echoing what everybody has said, and also to mention that last year we played truant from Plakias and went to Stoupa . We we were able to do some walks locally, the best of which was a walk around Kardamyli (the village where Patrick Leigh - Fermor spent his final years), using another of Lance Chilton's little books. Simply called "walks in Stoupa and Kardamyli".
Thanks for getting us out there Lance.