Author Topic: Property For Sale in Plakias  (Read 7705 times)

Offline JohnB

• View Profile
    • Email
Property For Sale in Plakias
« on: November 23, 2005, 01:46:05 PM »
Hi Everyone,

I thought you might like to know that a development of new properties has been announced for Plakias.  These will range from a simple one-bedroom apartment of 40 m2 to a three-bedroom villa of 100 m2 with private pool.

You can email me at john@aegean-blue.com for more information.

Regards,

John

Offline George

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2005, 04:16:27 PM »
Hi All
Been talking to John above. See the following emails:
Start from the bottom and work up

Hi George,

No problem – go right ahead.

Regards,

John

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From: George Garnham [mailto:george.garnham@sylvania-lighting.com]
Sent: 23 November 2005 16:01
To: John@Aegean-blue
Subject: Re: Plakias Development

Hi John

For information, do you mind if I transfer this email the message board at plakias.co.uk.

I won't do it without your permission!

It might even help you guys out as well.

regards

george g...

----- Original Message -----

To: 'George Garnham'

Sent: Wednesday, November 23, 2005 3:33 PM

Subject: RE: Plakias Development

Hi George,

I’m not the developer so I haven’t bought the land – but I do represent the developer in the UK.

I don’t know Plakias that well myself but I don’t think the plot is the one you described if only because it hasn’t been up for sale very long.  It is about three hundred yards back from the beach and about five minutes walk from the village.  The land slopes quite steeply and is currently wooded.

Let me know if I can help you or any of your other board members with further information.

Regards,

John

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent: 23 November 2005 15:24

Thanks John

You and/or your company could advertise on the message board of www.plakias.co.uk  or alternatively there are numerous other Plakias sites out there, when the information becomes more positive.

Try the 'Interkriti' site, you can get to it from the voting link on the plakias site.

I personally would love to live out there permanently and investigated the possibility several years ago, unfortunately my partner became ill and she now resides in a care home, so my circumstances have changed, but I'm still interested in case they change again.

Going by the sound of the location description, I'm hazarding a guess that your company has purchased the land next to the Paligremos Apartments/Taverna at the far end of the beach road!!? We all knew it was up for sale!

Please keep the board up to date will any developments, I'm sure that the information will be appreciated. We're nice people so you won't get any abuse even if they don't like the idea!

Regards and good luck

george g...

Sent: Wednesday, November 23, 2005 2:46 PM

Hi George,

Our website is www.aegean-blue.com but there is nothing on there yet about this project as too many of the details are still sketchy.

I can understand the reaction from the loyal visitors: with my wife I own a small place in a mountain village in Heraklion which is totally untouched by tourism and I dread the day when/if the developers arrive …

A location like Plakias is too attractive in too many ways to remain untouched and unspoiled for ever.  But the influx will be small in number and the properties will be quite tasteful (in my opinion, of course) so I hope the change in character will not be too negative.

I’ll be pleased to provide what information I have to you and/or fellow board members.  Are you interested yourself?  And how would I go about contacting the others.

Regards,

John

Sent: 23 November 2005 14:21

Thanks John

The rumours have been flying about for a couple of years now and there are numerous messages on the board relating to this subject, but nothing has ever been specific or confirmed.

Do you have a web site that has more visual and location information for this development, also prices? As you said there are a few people on the board who would love to own a property there but they are very few and far between.

As far as the 'Bad news' is concerned, the loyal visitors to Plakias are a little worried that 'Our Place' might change character somewhat.

Regards

george g...

Sent: Wednesday, November 23, 2005 2:12 PM

Hi George,

I should explain that I represent the developers – so I’m sorry that you see this as bad news.  The company in question is based in Rethymnon and will be developing a small complex of apartments and villas: I feel sure it will be done with good taste and respect for the local environment.  Timing is uncertain but I would expect that the project would be ready some time in 2007.  Location is about five minutes from the village – to the east.

It occurred to me that regular visitors to Plakias might like the opportunity to acquire their own holiday home there and this is why I posted on the forum.

Regards,

John

Sent: 23 November 2005 13:59
To: john@aegean-blue.com
Subject: Plakias Development

Hi John

Obvious questions:

Who?

What?

Where?

When?

and any other related info would be appreciated.

Thanks for the bad news

george g...

Offline beachcombers

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2005, 11:29:12 PM »
Our comments: :'(

You and/or your company could advertise on the message board of www.plakias.co.uk  
[B]If this is forum will be open for commercial advertising we will be off this forum forever, as by experience we know it is the end of the forum.
[/B]

or alternatively there are numerous other Plakias sites out there, when the information becomes more positive.
How about moving to "property in Greece" and similar sites, those interested will certainly find it  

Please keep the board up to date will any developments, I'm sure that the information will be appreciated. We're nice people so you won't get any abuse even if they don't like the idea! Basic information OK, however no promotions.  

Our website is www.aegean-blue.com but there is nothing on there yet about this project as too many of the details are still sketchy.
 Thus fishing only?  

I can understand the reaction from the loyal visitors: with my wife I own a small place in a mountain village in Heraklion which is totally untouched by tourism and I dread the day when/if the developers arrive …
We want it to keep it that way (very simple and very basic) when we spend a few weeks /year. You should take another job if you can imagine our concern so well: start protecting unspoiled places in Greece in stead off spoiling them by ugly concrete holiday apartments, yes, we have seen your project pictures on your website. :'(

A location like Plakias is too attractive in too many ways to remain untouched and unspoiled for ever.
So is Antarctica and some other places on our globe, which should be preserved and protected.  

But the influx will be small in number and the properties will be quite tasteful (in my opinion, of course) so I hope the change in character will not be too negative.
This is just the kind standard nonsense from project-development companies we always hear when starting off a project.
No statements like: only 1/3 of ground will be used for buildings. Existing olive trees will be preserved at a maximum possible extend in order to maintain the natural habitat. Buildings will have two stories only.

I’ll be pleased to provide what information I have to you and/or fellow board members.  Howmany sq. mtrs are in total available, howmany sq mtrs will be used for buildings, how mamy sqr mtrs for swimming pools, howmany sqr mtrs for gardens. How many appartments are planned. The apartments will look like the xxxx (name one of your existing projects) on your website site.

It occurred to me that regular visitors to Plakias might like the opportunity to acquire their own holiday home there and this is why I posted on the forum.
Posting 3 times in different topics is SPAM to us !!    

NB If you want to promote a project and own a place near Heraklion we simply fail to understand that you did not even bother to visit the spot. By the way there are so many spots around Heraklion which urgently require improvement. Heraklion is very convenient for foreigners close to the international airport and ferries. Lots of shopping facilities in Heraklion. No such strong winds as at the South coast. Cultural events in the winter season.
[/b]  

Regards
Beachcombers
« Last Edit: November 23, 2005, 11:29:59 PM by beachcombers »

Offline JohnB

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2005, 08:55:49 AM »
Hi Beachcombers.

I recognize and respect the strength of feeling behind your comments so rather than respond item-by-item, and become embroiled in a debate that neither of us would win, I'll just say a couple of things.

There was a transparent commercial motive behind my post and I made no attempt to disguise it.  But there was also the thought that some of your fellow board members might appreciate the opportunity to find out more about the development and, judging by the response, that seems to be the case.

My intention was to invite board members to contact me privately.  George did so and subsequently suggested he post our exchange on the board.  If you want me to place all the information I have in the public domain here I have no objection to doing so.

John

Offline Graham_and_Karen

• Regulars
    • Facebook
    • Google+
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2005, 09:08:12 AM »
At first sight, the chance to own a small place in Plakias is tempting but we wouldn't go for it for a couple of reasons.
1. For holiday use, it's easier and cheaper to buy a package holiday or even book independently.
2. Much as we love Plakias for a holiday, if we were staying for months at a time, a place in the hills would be quieter and more picturesque.
3. Sadly, there is the possibility that, in time, Plakias will become over-developed. We wouldn't want to have to sell in order to find somewhere more like Plakias as it was when we bought the place.

Those are just our thoughts. I certainly don't blame developers for but maybe local authorities could be more responsible when granting planning permission, to ensure that the local area's scenery and character are not spoiled.

Offline beachcombers

• Regulars
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2005, 10:27:49 AM »
Hi John,

Thanks your reply,
In case you have new developments in Plakias, we are still interested to hear them, even if they may sound negative to us.
Suggest you make a link to your business under "personal website", so forum members have the option to see what might be happening.

Do you have an own personal opinion of the developments of Northern Crete in the past 30 years? Would like to hear it.

Regards
Beachcombers

Offline JohnB

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2005, 11:48:56 AM »
Hi Beachcombers,

The inescapable truth is that economic imperatives were always going to drive development of what were once unspoiled areas.  Greece needed, needs and will continue to need the revenues which foreign investment brings and government policy is to encourage this.  So in my opinion it was unavoidable.  And of course Greece is not alone in this.

I first visited Crete in 1971 and so have seen a lot of change.  Some of it has been poorly thought through, badly designed and casually executed.  Some has been properly considered, sensitively planned and carefully completed.  All of it, at least in theory, has been subject to official consent but it would be naive to ignore the reality that the locals are not as caring for their own environment as we might like them to be.

Some areas of the north coast have been irreparably spoiled - to the eternal discredit of all involved.  Other areas have seen development which was not for the better but, in the circumstances, was at least tolerable.  My idealistic side would rather that Crete was still as I first knew it but my pragmatic side accepts that change is inevitable.

I do not work with developers which I think will bring the kind of negative change I described above.  Don't be misled by some of the computer-generated images which you may have seen on our website: I am the first to recognize that these are not particularly easy on the eye.  But I have seen the finished product elsewhere and in my opinion it is very acceptable.

So although I may not be as altruistic as you neither am I the kind of cold-hearted capitalist who is solely motivated by greed and displays total disdain for the local environment.  I'm the last person to judge myself but I hope others see me as having a balanced approach.

John

Offline Mike G

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2005, 01:52:32 PM »
Hi Everyone,

I thought you might like to know that a development of new properties has been announced for Plakias.  These will range from a simple one-bedroom apartment of 40 m2 to a three-bedroom villa of 100 m2 with private pool.

You can email me at john@aegean-blue.com for more information.

Regards,

John
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=4908\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
As he is the administrator of this forum I would be interested in Paul's (Ploppy) views on this type of posting. Personally I don't have too much of a problem as this posting was on a subject that many members have expressed an interest in (i.e. owning their own property in Plakias). It was short and suggested that those interested should contact the poster, John B. However, I would be sorry to see a proliferation of such postings.

I would suggest, Paul, that we only have one posting for this development and that the other two are removed.

Personally, I'm with Graham & Karen on this. Much as I love Plakias I don't want to spend all my holidays there and as G&K say, package holidays are currently excellent value. Like them, I do fear Plakias becoming spoiled and for this reason am always on the look out for similar resorts. I hope Paleohora turns out to be one when I visit next year (also going to Plakias though).

Mike

ps. if George G is reading this I would be interested to hear if you had any feedback from Olympic on the length of their transfers. I wonder if Morven will be there in 2006.

Offline George

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2005, 02:37:10 PM »
'ps. if George G is reading this I would be interested to hear if you had any feedback from Olympic on the length of their transfers. I wonder if Morven will be there in 2006'.

Hi Mike G
Of course I'm reading it, and I'm not really surprised at the response.
I agree that we don't want the board to develope into advertising space but I'm sure we all want to know what's going on.

I did make the complaint and got numerous negative emails until I insisted on a positive response.
I got a written letter 2 weeks ago explaining that it was a busy time of year etc and I think something about staff problems, which I didn't accept, so I'm persuing the matter further.
I haven't forgot you all, but haven't posted on the subject because I've got nothing positive.
As soon as I do I will let you all know the 'satifactory' outcome.
As somone has already said 'Don't hold your breath' it could be a while.

I've already booked for 2006 and I'm hoping the rep scenario will remain unchanged!

george g...

Offline Mike G

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2005, 01:28:54 PM »
I got a written letter 2 weeks ago explaining that it was a busy time of year etc and I think something about staff problems, which I didn't accept, so I'm persuing the matter further.
george g...
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=4923\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
George,

I would be fairly confident, without any hard evidence, that 3-4 hour transfers were common all season and the two and a half hour ones were rare. I reckon a coach would take at least 2 hours if going directly from Heraklion to the first drop off in Plakias. Personally I think having 6-10 drop offs in Rethymnon and Bali is acceptable based on the price of the holiday and as I have said before, I sit back and am thankful I'm not going to some of the dreadful places I see. Plus, many of us have experienced the suicidal Greek taxi drivers which would otherwise be an alternative.

Still, I wish you luck.

Mike

Offline Graham_and_Karen

• Regulars
    • Facebook
    • Google+
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2005, 10:12:37 PM »
George,

I would be fairly confident, without any hard evidence, that 3-4 hour transfers were common all season and the two and a half hour ones were rare. I reckon a coach would take at least 2 hours if going directly from Heraklion to the first drop off in Plakias. Personally I think having 6-10 drop offs in Rethymnon and Bali is acceptable based on the price of the holiday and as I have said before, I sit back and am thankful I'm not going to some of the dreadful places I see. Plus, many of us have experienced the suicidal Greek taxi drivers which would otherwise be an alternative.

Still, I wish you luck.

Mike
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=4924\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
We also try not to get too wound up about the long transfers as any nighttmare transfers are soon forgotten once we are in Plakias but I do agree with Georges' point - Holiday companies should be a bit more honest about the total time taken to get to a resort. 2 and a half hours might not be far off the time once you have left the airport but this year, for example, I think it was nearly 5 hours from when we landed that we arrived in Plakias. delays for the luggage to arrive, then - an hour and a half waiting for a couple who were looking on the wrong carousel for their luggage.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2005, 08:33:48 AM by Graham_and_Karen »