login

Author Topic: Timeos Stavros  (Read 9596 times)

Offline Mike G

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Timeos Stavros
« on: August 31, 2010, 01:43:00 PM »
When I first climbed it about 5 years ago I went up the "western", poorly defined path to the top which starts (as described in Lance Chilton's Plakias walks book- 2003 edition) at a point overlooked by a small chapel on a hillock to the west. The last two times I went up I used the well defined, initially ziz-zag, track that starts from the south side of the mountain, overlooking the Libyan sea. Last year I couldn't find the "western" path although as I was on my way home and pretty tired I didn't really search for it.

Could anyone who has climbed Timeos Stavros this year advise if this path is still in existence or whether it has become too overgrown to be useable.

Mike

Offline Graham_and_Karen

• Regulars
    • Facebook
    • Google+
    • View Profile
    • Email
Timeos Stavros
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2010, 09:43:11 PM »
Quote from: Mike G
When I first climbed it about 5 years ago I went up the "western", poorly defined path to the top which starts (as described in Lance Chilton's Plakias walks book- 2003 edition) at a point overlooked by a small chapel on a hillock to the west. The last two times I went up I used the well defined, initially ziz-zag, track that starts from the south side of the mountain, overlooking the Libyan sea. Last year I couldn't find the "western" path although as I was on my way home and pretty tired I didn't really search for it.

Could anyone who has climbed Timeos Stavros this year advise if this path is still in existence or whether it has become too overgrown to be useable.

Mike
Not this year, but when we first climbed it in 2007, we managed to follow the western path briefly (going down) but then lost it. In 2008 we struggled to make out any of the path; certainly not well enough for us to follow.

Offline Barny

• Regulars
  • Have I seen you in Kyma?
    • View Profile
    • Email
Timeos Stavros
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2010, 12:59:24 PM »
Oh no, there's not another way up it?  Is it easier than the zig zag way?  Not that i will climb it again!

Barny.
Fancy a Mythos?

Offline Graham_and_Karen

• Regulars
    • Facebook
    • Google+
    • View Profile
    • Email
Timeos Stavros
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2010, 05:54:57 PM »
Quote from: Barny
Oh no, there's not another way up it? Is it easier than the zig zag way? Not that i will climb it again!

Barny.
Nothing easier than the zig-zag path Barny (not sure whether that's good news for you or not  )
If you don't fancy Timeos Stavros again, how about Kaka Mouri (above the cliff at the far end). Great views of the bay.

Offline Regulars since 1992

• Regulars
    • View Profile
Timeos Stavros
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2010, 08:28:02 PM »
Sue and I climbed Timeos Stavros for the first time two or three years ago and it was a wonderful experience (don't ask me what route we took).

Looking forward to returning to Plakias and Stella's yet again later this month.

Offline Mike G

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Timeos Stavros
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2010, 02:12:48 PM »
Quote from: Graham_and_Karen
how about Kaka Mouri (above the cliff at the far end). Great views of the bay.
Hello G&K,

Is the path up it easy to find? I've often thought about it but there wasn't any obvious path visible or on Google maps.

Mike

Offline Graham_and_Karen

• Regulars
    • Facebook
    • Google+
    • View Profile
    • Email
Timeos Stavros
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2010, 09:20:10 PM »
Mike, my memory's not so good and we aren't the best at finding or keeping to paths but I do remember that we started at the path behind the Plakias Bay hotel that gets you to the top of the cliff, then walked round the headland some way. There were two opportunities to climb. I think walking further round got to the easier route where, looking up you could see a saddle. No path as such but easy enough climbing to the top of the saddle, then left following the ridge to the peak.

Offline Barny

• Regulars
  • Have I seen you in Kyma?
    • View Profile
    • Email
Timeos Stavros
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2010, 07:51:43 PM »

Barny.[/quote]
Nothing easier than the zig-zag path Barny (not sure whether that's good news for you or not  )
If you don't fancy Timeos Stavros again, how about Kaka Mouri (above the cliff at the far end). Great views of the bay.
[/quote]

I was knackered ! I should not have gone up mid morning in August in shorts and beach shoes! I will be better prepared next climb ( I will take a hat)

Barny.
Fancy a Mythos?

Offline Gemma1

• View Profile
Timeos Stavros
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2010, 08:00:12 PM »
Mike, my memory's not so good and we aren't the best at finding or keeping to paths but I do remember that we started at the path behind the Plakias Bay hotel that gets you to the top of the cliff, then walked round the headland some way. There were two opportunities to climb. I think walking further round got to the easier route where, looking up you could see a saddle. No path as such but easy enough climbing to the top of the saddle, then left following the ridge to the peak.

Was this a difficult walk and can you remember roughly how long it took you?  I'm looking for some new walks to do when we go back next year but in the Lance Chiltern book I've got the walk starts from Lefkoyia.  I don't want anything too strenuous but wouldn't mind giving this a go if it's not too difficult.  

Are there any other walking books on the area around Plakias apart from Lance Chiltern's?

Offline Graham_and_Karen

• Regulars
    • Facebook
    • Google+
    • View Profile
    • Email
Timeos Stavros
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2010, 11:03:33 PM »
Quote from: Gemma1

Was this a difficult walk and can you remember roughly how long it took you? I'm looking for some new walks to do when we go back next year but in the Lance Chiltern book I've got the walk starts from Lefkoyia. I don't want anything too strenuous but wouldn't mind giving this a go if it's not too difficult.

Are there any other walking books on the area around Plakias apart from Lance Chiltern's?

Gemma -Kaka Mouri is certainly not as strenuous as Timeos Stavros and I'd think you'd want to start from Plakias, not Lefkoyia. Even if you don't get to the top, it's still worth following the path round the headland at the level of the top of the cliff. You can get good views of the Kalypso hotel. As an alternative to LC's book, have a look at Peter Thomson's walks at: http://www.peter-thomson.co.uk/crete/Where...ng_Plakias.html
From there you'll find lots of walks listed although there's a limited number of circular walks. Following the irrigation channel is very pleasant.

Offline John R

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fluteweb.net
    • Email
Timeos Stavros
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2010, 03:36:19 PM »
Gemma -Kaka Mouri is certainly not as strenuous as Timeos Stavros and I'd think you'd want to start from Plakias, not Lefkoyia. Even if you don't get to the top, it's still worth following the path round the headland at the level of the top of the cliff. You can get good views of the Kalypso hotel. As an alternative to LC's book, have a look at Peter Thomson's walks at: http://www.peter-thomson.co.uk/crete/Where...ng_Plakias.html
From there you'll find lots of walks listed although there's a limited number of circular walks. Following the irrigation channel is very pleasant.

I'm not sure if I'm on the correct track here - if you'll excuse the pun but last September we walked right round the headland starting and finishing at the Plakias Bay Hotel. There is now a very spectacular new concrete stair case down the cliff face to the Kalypso Hotel and one can walk down that, past the hotel and onward round the headland. A very easy walk and one of the best values for effort in our opinion. The previous year we got to the half built stairway down to the Kalypso and had we continued and stepped of the then bottom step we would have plunged a considerable drop on to the Kalypso Hotel driveway. Health and Safety left to common sense and sighted people in that area. The stairway is obviously now complete !! This walk will be high on our list of to do's when we get there in 8 days time.

John R
« Last Edit: September 10, 2010, 03:36:56 PM by John R »

Offline soki

• View Profile
Timeos Stavros
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2010, 10:51:56 AM »
My daughters photo from Timeos Stavros yesterday afternoon. Lovely.

Offline Mike G

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Timeos Stavros
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2010, 02:24:39 PM »
Quote from: John R
I'm not sure if I'm on the correct track here - if you'll excuse the pun but last September we walked right round the headland starting and finishing at the Plakias Bay Hotel. There is now a very spectacular new concrete stair case down the cliff face to the Kalypso Hotel and one can walk down that, past the hotel and onward round the headland. A very easy walk and one of the best values for effort in our opinion. The previous year we got to the half built stairway down to the Kalypso and had we continued and stepped of the then bottom step we would have plunged a considerable drop on to the Kalypso Hotel driveway. Health and Safety left to common sense and sighted people in that area. The stairway is obviously now complete !! This walk will be high on our list of to do's when we get there in 8 days time.

John R
Interesting John. Am I right in thinking you walked from Plakias Bay hotel along the face of the cliff, until the path reached the cave entrance, and then just carried on around the headland, as you have described, to Kalypso?

Seems like a decent new walk in the Plakias area which is welcome.

Mike

Offline Gemma1

• View Profile
Timeos Stavros
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2010, 02:41:29 PM »
Quote from: Gemma1

Was this a difficult walk and can you remember roughly how long it took you? I'm looking for some new walks to do when we go back next year but in the Lance Chiltern book I've got the walk starts from Lefkoyia. I don't want anything too strenuous but wouldn't mind giving this a go if it's not too difficult.

Thanks for the link to Peter Thomson's website, there are some stunning pictures  

Offline Gemma1

• View Profile
Timeos Stavros
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2010, 02:46:50 PM »
Quote from: John R

John R

Will definitely give this one a try John.  Think I'll start cutting and pasting a few bits into a new document to add to the literature I've already got on Plakias