login

Author Topic: 2007 questions  (Read 14462 times)

Offline Spannerette

• View Profile
2007 questions
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2007, 09:46:34 AM »
Another question from a Plakias Newbie!

We're here at the moment & would love any recommendations for somewhere good to eat, drink & meet locals, (ie not necessarily on the harbour front). We would also love to go up in the hills to eat one evening, but have no idea where...any suggestions?

Thanks,

Tracey

Offline George

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
2007 questions
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2007, 09:57:45 AM »
Hi Tracey

'Up in the Hills', try Myrthios, the first village you come to, can recommend the 'Plaka' or the 'Panorama' either day or nightime, the foods good and the views are spectacular. Can't miss them they are on the main road.

Anywhere is good to eat, rarely had a 'bad' experience, but to get away from those B***** tourists try down any side street off the front, they are usually quieter and occupied by more locals.

Sunday is a good night to meet the locals anywhere!

Hope your having a good time and not getting your bits too sore  

george g...

Offline Mike G

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
2007 questions
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2007, 01:10:02 PM »
Quote from: Spannerette

We're here at the moment & would love any recommendations for somewhere good to eat, drink & meet locals, (ie not necessarily on the harbour front). We would also love to go up in the hills to eat one evening, but have no idea where...any suggestions?

Thanks,

Tracey
Hello Tracey,

One that is a little off the beaten track is Kastro. Click on "Article System" at the top of the screen and Kastro is under Tavernas. It is a bit of a climb but the views are good. Mr and Mrs Harribobs recommended it last year I seem to remember. Other good ones are Medousa, Muses, and the Souvlakia House (The Hut), the latter being a limited selection but great view over the sea (as is Muses). Please bear in mind that these opinions are based on 2006 and earlier as I haven't been this year.

Mike

Offline George

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
2007 questions
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2007, 01:42:44 PM »
I'll second the Kastro, and the views, I had a very quiet lunch there after a long walk, last year and the place was completely empty all the time I was there.
They make their own raki and wine as well, and well worth trying! Take the youth hostel road go past it and the 'library', it's then sign posted at the 't' junction. Turn right and it's just at the top of the hill.

This is a difficult question Tracey, if you've read the comments on the forum, everyone has their favourites, the best thing to do is try as many as you can and then decide for yourself.

Let's have your comments when you get back!! Good or Bad.

george g...

Kasto
« Last Edit: June 14, 2007, 01:44:47 PM by George »

Offline Spannerette

• View Profile
2007 questions
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2007, 04:07:11 PM »
Thanks for all the suggestions!

We've tried several off them out & will give a full report on out return...although at this rate I'm not sure when that will be!

We were due to fly back today, but we're still here & will be for at least an extra week (much to the outrage of my teenage kids back home! Lol!)    

I mean, how dare mum enjoy herself, especially without them!!

But I think we have well & truely caught the Plakias bug...

Anyone coming out in the next week, let us know...would love to meet up with you.

Tracey

Offline cottampat

• View Profile
2007 questions
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2007, 11:34:12 PM »
As a newbie due to make my first visit to Plakias later this year, could anyone inform me if refreshments and snacks are available on the beach at the Far End?  If so, are there sandwiches and drinks to takeaway at reasonable prices?

Secondly, what's the price for a couple of sunbeds and and a parasol for daily hire?

Thanks to those who take the trouble to reply.

Offline Steve Jones

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
2007 questions
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2007, 12:16:33 AM »
Quote from: cottampat
As a newbie due to make my first visit to Plakias later this year, could anyone inform me if refreshments and snacks are available on the beach at the Far End? If so, are there sandwiches and drinks to takeaway at reasonable prices?

Secondly, what's the price for a couple of sunbeds and and a parasol for daily hire?

'Extra Vitimina'...This is what you will hear from Letkeris-the Doughnut man who visits the 'far end' (as well as other parts of plakias beach and the surrounding area) late in the afternoon on most days. You can buy a doughnut for around 2 euros each.

When you come off the beach, you wish to visit the Paligremnos beach bar and say hello to George or Manolis. Last year we had the pleasure of talking to Anna from Thessalonki (I think) who worked behind the bar and was a scream. She was often more p*ssed than the customers she served and was really chatty to everyone. I think she won't be back this year though.

Sunbeds can be hired from Freddie at 2-2.50 euros a day each.

I hope that this helps.

Steve

Offline John R

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fluteweb.net
    • Email
2007 questions
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2007, 08:31:35 AM »
If so, are there sandwiches and drinks to takeaway at reasonable prices?

Our friends collect beautiful produce from one of the bakeries in town - early morning - to take with them to Far End. Lots of choice from sandwiches, pastries etc - super quality all at reasonable prices (very cheap !!)

John R

Offline Greecemad

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
2007 questions
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2007, 09:53:38 AM »
As a newbie due to make my first visit to Plakias later this year, could anyone inform me if refreshments and snacks are available on the beach at the Far End?  If so, are there sandwiches and drinks to takeaway at reasonable prices?

There's a beach bar serving snacks. I didn't sample it, so I've no idea of what's on offer or the prices. An umbrella + 2 sunbeds are 5 euro per day.

Greecemad

Offline George

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
2007 questions
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2007, 09:58:16 AM »
Let's not forget the fruit shop by the campsite, your going to need a big beach bag Cottampat!! That's just for the melons.

george g...

Offline Sebbee

• View Profile
    • Email
2007 questions
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2007, 11:20:35 PM »
Quote from: George
Let's not forget the fruit shop by the campsite, your going to need a big beach bag Cottampat!! That's just for the melons.

george g...

This June a guy came up to the far end beach carrying a wooden tray bearing plastic tubs of prepared water melon and strawberries, an appealing idea but at five euros a pop a total rip-off! Apparently he was at Souda, too. Only saw him that once but he got no sales so I imagine he learned his lesson!
« Last Edit: June 27, 2007, 11:23:34 PM by Sebbee »

Offline harribobs

• Regulars
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - harribobs
    • View Profile
    • http://themanchesters.org
    • Email
2007 questions
« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2007, 06:45:28 PM »
Quote from: George
I'll second the Kastro, and the views, I had a very quiet lunch there after a long walk, last year and the place was completely empty all the time I was there.
They make their own raki and wine as well, and well worth trying! Take the youth hostel road go past it and the 'library', it's then sign posted at the 't' junction. Turn right and it's just at the top of the hill.

This is a difficult question Tracey, if you've read the comments on the forum, everyone has their favourites, the best thing to do is try as many as you can and then decide for yourself.

Let's have your comments when you get back!! Good or Bad.

george g...

Kasto

did anyone meet this lettle fella at the Kastro this year?

pepi

Offline Graham_and_Karen

• Regulars
    • Facebook
    • Google+
    • View Profile
    • Email
2007 questions
« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2007, 08:00:09 PM »
Certainly did - and it was clear that he was the boss. He put the ginger cat in its place a couple of times.

Offline compage

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://www.compage.com
    • Email
2007 questions
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2007, 10:36:10 AM »
Quote from: harribobs
did anyone meet this lettle fella at the Kastro this year?
We did.
Lovely creature.
Already a little overweight too but I suppose that's invevitable in a taverna cat.
John Page

Mandy Harrison

2007 questions
« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2007, 09:40:15 PM »
Quote from: Mike G
Quote from: Spannerette

Thanks,

Tracey
Hello Tracey,

One that is a little off the beaten track is Kastro. Click on "Article System" at the top of the screen and Kastro is under Tavernas. It is a bit of a climb but the views are good. Mr and Mrs Harribobs recommended it last year I seem to remember. Other good ones are Medousa, Muses, and the Souvlakia House (The Hut), the latter being a limited selection but great view over the sea (as is Muses). Please bear in mind that these opinions are based on 2006 and earlier as I haven't been this year.

Mike

If you visit the Kastro be sure to have fish and the home made walnut pie is the best I ever had.  Be sure to say hi to Pepe the Siamese cat - 5 months old at the time of our visit - he is an absolute doll - talks to you and very well trained by Yani!  The only cat I ever knew who stayed out of the kitchen!