login

Author Topic: Olympic (again)  (Read 6871 times)

Offline Colin & Sandra

• View Profile
    • Email
Olympic (again)
« on: December 30, 2016, 05:34:12 AM »
Has anyone else looked at Olympics web page since Christmas? The majority of holidays to Plakias and some other resorts (I haven't looked at everything obviously) are showing as Transfers not included. If you start the booking process it gives you the option to tag on taxi transfers toward the end along with your luggage extras.
The current cost now works out about £300 pound more for our next summer holiday than we booked it at.

There are going to be some out of work Coach drivers and very busy Taxi drivers by the looks of it. (I ought to get my gray Mercedes ordered today)

Offline daza

• Say "Hello" Theo!
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Olympic (again)
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2016, 09:53:23 AM »
I was informed by the Olympic Rep (the lovely new Scottish gal) in October that there are no transfers included for 2017 IF its not on a scheduled flight (I think). (Charters like Jet2 Small Planet etc). I've been checking and rechecking/hoping -  but that red X is still there (transfer). Olympic are obviously trying to save some pennies but to my mind they are going to lose out on a lot of bookings if they don't get their finger out and reintroduce transfers for Plakias (and every other holiday destination too where the cost of a taxi is going to be expensive). It ain't a package holiday without transfers - might as well just book a cheap flight and digs with Travel Republic (ATOL?) and have greater choice of flight times and accommodation.
COME ON OLYMPIC - get it sorted - PLEASE!

Offline daza

• Say "Hello" Theo!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2016, 09:58:15 AM »
I can't see ANY transfers actually anywhere! Are there any does someone know?

Offline Barny

• Regulars
  • Have I seen you in Kyma?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2016, 10:37:31 AM »
Not good, transfers were always part of it especially if you wanted to see all of Crete before getting to your resort. but I always use www.taxi4you.gr, this saves all the hassle, just walk out of the airport, into the taxi and you're soon there. OK it costs extra but well worth it in my opinion.

Barny.
Fancy a Mythos?

Offline Colin & Sandra

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2016, 11:08:28 AM »
Should have added that we booked for June/July and also September 2017 last July, and our booking confirmations include transfers, so it should be interesting (right word?) what happens. I would have thought that they will have to honor bookings already made, there must be hundreds booked by now.

Offline conway s

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2016, 11:20:11 AM »
The wife and myself are back in Plakias again in April and October we have booked a car for both holidays, if you shop around you will get it cheaper than a taxi.
Same old problem last year Olympic trying to save money.
Going out for Easter anyone had a Plakias Easter, would appreciate any info about if it is as good as the rest of the year?

Offline Mike G

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2016, 01:58:07 PM »
To confuse things Olympic has changed the layout of their website over the holiday and it takes a bit of getting used to.

re. transfers, holidays using Olympic's charter flights (e.g. Enter Air) come with a transfer. Those using easyJet, Thomson, etc generally do not, although for some destinations they offer one as an extra.

When you search online for a specific accommodation on a specific date it seems to show the cheapest price for that set of circumstances. This is not necessarily the charter flight but for some holidays it seems to be easyJet, often at what for me would be anti-social flight times. If you go into the booking process you have the option of seeing the other flight options and the price differential.

Olympic's prices have been yo-yoing around since the 2017 holidays were first offered. Before Christmas they featured an island a day for 12 days with £50pp off for that day only. For Christmas   Day they offered the £50pp for all 12.

Prices are a bit more than 2016 but with the drop in the value of the £ that seems fair. When you work out the cost per day it still seems a bargain in many ways.

Offline JackieatUrbanAgenda

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2016, 02:55:43 PM »
We were warned about this just before we left in September and it looks as though Olympic are coming in for lots of flack about it...I dont think it has anything to do with which flight you're on or which company you book with. We were advised to check out Taxis 4 You in Plakias (www.taxiplakias.com or www.taxi4you.gr ) as the website is also in English and you can book in very easily. At the moment only the 2016 prices are displayed but they still appear to be cheaper than hailing a taxi at the airport (something we've done a couple of times). I think it is very cynical of Olympic to add this to the bill....so will take every opportunity of ensuring my money goes to a local company.

Offline JBMouse

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2016, 01:03:36 PM »
Hi, Just to say I got in on the 12 islands thingy again this year, so Plakias Oct 2017 sorted, and at a good price, the website and 'phone advisor could not find anything to Plakias in October, but he put together a 'taylor made' holiday, and the price was exactly what it had been the previous day, but with the £50 per person deducted, so, as they say, I shook his hand before he sobered up! The transfers are a bit of a devil, as others have found out only Olympic's own charters come with a transfer included, but do use taxi4you.gr - Zacharias is very reliable, and he has quoted us the same price for 2017 as we paid in 2016! He lives opposite KC, so knows his way there.
I did look on Christmas day when the promo was on again, and we could have gone to KC on 16th. May for 1 week, with transfers, flying Enter Air from Gatwick for £307 - I now wish I had raided the grandkids piggy bank and booked it, I am sure I could survive 1 week eating pitta souvlaki and drinking Mythos to save the eating out costs.
Have a good new year to all, see you in Plakias and Anaxos if you're lucky.

Offline spottttttt

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2016, 01:42:23 PM »
Are you the man who always eats at the giros hut in early July?-\

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2016, 02:33:04 PM »
Me too.....Am quite happy to 'slum' it given the conditions.....probably the best deal in the world and that's just the Mythos ! Great with picnics. Happy New Year !

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2017, 12:12:45 PM »
Hmmmm........went booking yesterday ! Donna at Thomas Cook in town went through the offer for Plakias in September and, on their system, it included transfers. I explained the 'problem' with transfers as, when I had checked on line there was still a big red cross against their inclusion. On Thomas Cook's system there was the additional option of 'upgrading' to a personal taxi transfer at £120 each way.....which is what seems to have been offered to many people in this thread.
Anyway our rep, the lovely Donna, rang them, explained the concern and confirmed that transfers were included and that it has nothing to do with which airport or airline. So, I managed to book with transfers included and an additional £200+ of budgeted money transferred to the 'cocktail account'.
Just to say....be careful with this especially if you are booking online yourself. It may be better to work with a Travel Agent as they can question things for you. In the circumstances its going to be a very early arrival so a few hours kip on the coach wont be a problem.
Looking forward to Sept now !

Offline JeanW

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2017, 06:07:10 PM »
Have booked for Plakias September 2017 with Olympic and transfers are included.  I made the booking last October with Olympic direct over the telephone.  I depart from Gatwick with Enterair, the Polish airline who I have always found to be very efficient.

Offline Arnaki

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2017, 07:34:21 PM »
I'm booked for August from Manchester, with transfers.  As far as I can tell from Manchester it is only the ASLFrance and EnterAir flights that have transfers - and I assumed that's because they are Olympic's own charters. I think I would go independently if there were no coach - and don't really mind the magical mystery tour - due to additional cost of taxi (and cost and wrecked nerves of hiring a car).  So I really hope that there is a transfer when summer rolls around.

I was booking online but I had to phone up because the site crashed when I went to the final stage.  The price the nice man gave me was about £200 more than the price I had online. I took a quick screen shot in case I had to argue; fortunately his online search brought up the same price as I had; it was already top of our budget and I wouldn't have paid any more, even for Plakias.  It's happened before. Very odd.