Author Topic: Private balcony  (Read 11223 times)

Offline don1

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Private balcony
« on: July 06, 2007, 09:03:33 AM »
Looking for spacious,airy accommodation for two with a private balcony or terrace - an outdoor space that is definitely not shared or overlooked. Price not an issue. Does it exist in Plakias?

Offline George

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Private balcony
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2007, 10:20:27 AM »
Quote from: don1
Looking for spacious,airy accommodation for two with a private balcony or terrace - an outdoor space that is definitely not shared or overlooked. Price not an issue. Does it exist in Plakias?
Hi don1 (does you wife know??)
You'll find that the majority of apartments in Plakias will have a private balcony/terrace.
Your best bet is to check out the 'Plakias Map' (Top right hand corner) and 'hit' a few of the apartments and check out their websites.

george g...

Offline Mike G

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Private balcony
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2007, 01:25:36 PM »
Quote from: George
Hi don1 (does you wife know??)
You'll find that the majority of apartments in Plakias will have a private balcony/terrace.
Your best bet is to check out the 'Plakias Map' (Top right hand corner) and 'hit' a few of the apartments and check out their websites.

george g...
I'm sure nearly all have balconies but not being overlooked is more of a challenge. Still, I'm sure someone on the forum will be able to assist.

Good luck.

Mike

Offline ShirT

• View Profile
    • Email
Private balcony
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2007, 07:19:20 PM »
Get in touch with Stavros at the Horizon hotel - he has a website with photos but have lost bookmark though should be easy to find.The new building, not the hotel, has three very spacious apartments with excellent balconies looking straight to the sea. They are very popular though and we couldn't get in last year as only there for a week. Easy walk to town!

Offline ShirT

• View Profile
    • Email
Private balcony
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2007, 07:37:45 PM »
Look at the Thalassa section on www.interkriti.net/hotel/plakias/horizon. We stayed in the smallest one twice and although there is a wall to the next apartment on the balcony, they have a huge terrace to go to anyway. The top one is really private. The views are fantastic and worth the dosh and the owners are very nice people. Cash not cards btw!

Offline don1

• View Profile
    • Email
Private balcony
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2007, 01:05:00 PM »
Quote from: ShirT
Look at the Thalassa section on www.interkriti.net/hotel/plakias/horizon. We stayed in the smallest one twice and although there is a wall to the next apartment on the balcony, they have a huge terrace to go to anyway. The top one is really private. The views are fantastic and worth the dosh and the owners are very nice people. Cash not cards btw!

Thank you for your replies.

It's funny you mentioned the Thalaasa apartments, as that is where we stayed last year! We had one of the lower rooms and whilst we enjoyed the view there was one big drawback - the steps leading to the entrance door also led directly left onto the patio/balcony area - in theory anyone could have gained access and popped their head around the corner - not quite as private and relaxing as we had hoped. If we had known, perhaps we should have gone for the upper apartment.

It was 20 years since my last visit to Plakias and to be honest I didn't notice too much change , thankfully. It's still a great place to stay. Just a pity there is not a bit more choice in accommodation type.

Offline George

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Private balcony
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2007, 01:31:18 PM »
It was 20 years since my last visit to Plakias and to be honest I didn't notice too much change , thankfully. It's still a great place to stay. Just a pity there is not a bit more choice in accommodation type.
Hi don1

There might not be too much choice as accommadation type, mostly apartments and a few hotels, but I booked privately this year and could have gone on forever emailing different places, there were so many of them.

george g...

Offline compage

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://www.compage.com
    • Email
Private balcony
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2007, 04:02:02 PM »
Well there are:
a.  Rooms.
b.  Studios.
c.  Apartments.
d.  Hotels.
e.  Youth hostel.
f.  Camp site.
g.  Villas.

Some people bring camper vans and some even sleep on the beach.

What exactly did you have in mind?
« Last Edit: July 09, 2007, 04:02:43 PM by compage »
John Page

Offline don1

• View Profile
    • Email
Private balcony
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2007, 01:31:02 PM »
Quote from: compage
Well there are:
a.  Rooms.
b.  Studios.
c.  Apartments.
d.  Hotels.
e.  Youth hostel.
f.  Camp site.
g.  Villas.

I agree there are plenty of types of accommodation - what I meant to say was that Plakias lacks a good high-quality (upmarket, even) hotel. As I only have a few weeks' holiday entitlement per year, I would like to stay somewhere "a bit special". I'm not talking of a 5 star, all-inclusive (heaven forbid) but just somwhere spacious with character and fitted out to a high standard. Such places exist in the rest of Crete but I have trouble finding anything similar in Plakias.

Offline George

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Private balcony
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2007, 01:40:32 PM »
Quote from: compage
Well there are:
a.  Rooms.
b.  Studios.
c.  Apartments.
d.  Hotels.
e.  Youth hostel.
f.  Camp site.
g.  Villas.

I agree there are plenty of types of accommodation - what I meant to say was that Plakias lacks a good high-quality (upmarket, even) hotel. As I only have a few weeks' holiday entitlement per year, I would like to stay somewhere "a bit special". I'm not talking of a 5 star, all-inclusive (heaven forbid) but just somwhere spacious with character and fitted out to a high standard. Such places exist in the rest of Crete but I have trouble finding anything similar in Plakias.

Hi don1
Do you know about the two villas in front of the Dora? I think there's a thread on the 'Where to Stay' section, they sound like what you might be after. These places are fitted out to a very high standard, I, as well as a lot of other members have been and had a look.

george g...
« Last Edit: July 10, 2007, 01:41:19 PM by George »

Offline Mike G

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Private balcony
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2007, 02:05:27 PM »
Quote from: George
Hi don1
Do you know about the two villas in front of the Dora? I think there's a thread on the 'Where to Stay' section, they sound like what you might be after. These places are fitted out to a very high standard, I, as well as a lot of other members have been and had a look.

george g...
When I was in Plakias last year I remember commenting on how small the pool (s?) looked in these two villas. This must mean they are overlooked which is a prime requirement for Don as he did mention he wanted a non-overlooked balcony or terrace. They are in a poorish location, just in front of Dora.

Mike

Offline George

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Private balcony
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2007, 02:19:28 PM »
I agree Mike G that is a problem, I was just trying to get a feel for what don1 was after.

I personally think they are in a terrible position, I sat at my balcony at the Dora last year and could see everything that was going on... unfortunately, not a lot!

george g...

Daisy

Private balcony
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2007, 03:53:33 PM »

How about the few places out of town such as the Cretan Spirit  or The Horizon
                                                                                                              Daisy

Offline don1

• View Profile
    • Email
Private balcony
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2007, 01:11:35 PM »
Quote from: Daisy

Daisy

Thanks for all your suggestions. The Creta Spirit looks good and might be the answer.

I remember driving from Souda to Plakias last year and noticing some attractive properties, but of course I never wrote their names down.

Daisy

Private balcony
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2007, 03:14:48 PM »
Quote from: Daisy

Daisy

Thanks for all your suggestions. The Creta Spirit looks good and might be the answer.

I remember driving from Souda to Plakias last year and noticing some attractive properties, but of course I never wrote their names down.